Can't update Make 17

Maybe it has something to do with the different OS versions we’re running. The “available” readings are also different, but that’s to be expected, given simple arithmetic.

At any rate, I’ll try updating Make again later, but I don’t understand how this confusion could have occurred.
Thanks a bunch.

I had one unlikely idea, but easily done. If you have downloaded a previous version you will have SketchUpMake-en.dmg in your downloads. If you download a new one, and the old one is still there, you will get SketchUpMake-en-2.dmg. That’s how I managed to do the test earlier, I still have both DMGs.

Any chance you also have a SketchUpMake-en-2.dmg?

No;
I don’t leave .dmg’s in the download folder for any length of time. The ones I do save have a distinct folder of their own.

If you get daring (and for the benefit of others who may read this), here’s how to absolutely check the version of the .dmg:

• double-click the .dmg to “mount” it. After some verifying windows, the installer window should open. Ignore the installer window (in fact, you can close it - but don’t eject the .dmg yet).
  • In Finder, in the Devices part of the Sidebar at left you should see a device named SketchUp 2017 (the name may get clipped depending on the Sidebar width). If you don’t see the device, open Finder->Preferences->Sidebar and check the box for CDs, DVDs, and iPods. This should cause the .dmg’s device to show up in the Sidebar.
  • click the SketchUp item in the Sidebar once. You should see SketchUp and Applications objects (how they look will depend on which Finder view you have active. In the list view, it should look like this:
  • click the little arrow by SketchUp 2017 to expand it
  • right-click the SketchUp item and select “Show package contents”. This should open the app folder to show another one named “Contents”. Double-Click this to also open it. You should see:
  • click to select the Info.plist file and then press the spacebar to open the preview window. Scroll down a bit and you should see this:

If you see 17.2.2554 there, I am at a loss why your installation is failing. But if you see 17.1.173 you have the wrong .dmg!

Eject the .dmg when you are done.

Hmmm!..
The plot thickens…

Or, to be really thorough, the .plist you suggested I look into:

isn’t this an admin account thing?

john

We’re using Macs. It’s unlikely he has set himself up with restricted privileges.

I’ve never been asked on my mac’s either…

but on my wife’s Uni supplied macBook Pro it asks all the time…

and fails to update the apps…

john

Well, one thing is clear; I’ve downloaded the right file, but the OS won’t install it.
So, OK, two things are clear…

Which begs the question: what has changed since you successfully installed 17.1? Did you remove administrator status from your login account? Start using a different account?..Something must be different!

Not that I know of…
I went to Make after using Sketchup 8 for years. When I started bumping into the limitations of the “native” set of tools, I finally looked into plug-ins. Most of these required that I use a newer version of SU. This was in January or February of this year.
I had no problem transitioning. It’s updating that seems to be the rub.

University IT may have set her up as Guest user, though that would be very restrictive. Maybe they use admin tools I don’t know the name of.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.