Can't highlight and select push / pull

Hi there,
I’m a sketch up newbie. I created a 2D floorplan yet I cannot / not sure how to turn this into 3D as I cannot push / pull my walls. When I select push/ pull and hover over walls, there is a little red “x” mark and nothing happens. Can you help please?

It could be one of several things. Either the surface you are trying to extrude is no a single face or maybe you have the geometry grouped and haven’t opened the group for editing or maybe there is no face to extrude. If you share the .skp file with us we can tell you quickly just what the problem is.

Nathalie’s floorplan.skp (144.8 KB)

Here it is, thanks so much for your help

So you’ve got a component as shown selected (I moved it down to separate it from the rest of the geometry and I selected the window and door swing components and moved them up.

In order to extrude the walls you need to open the floor plan component for editing. I would suggest erasing the face for the floor first so you get the correct geometry for the walls.

Thank you so much, appreciate it!!!

1 Like

Hi there. I have an issue too.For hours I’ve tried to be able to highlight ground plain. I cannot for the life of me work it out. Is there any chance I can upload the file for a hand with this.

Yes. You can share the file so we can look.

Ive only got free version. Can I still share a sip.I can’t seem to work out how

Click on the “hamburger” menu button in the top left corner of the SketchUp screen and choose Download. Then upload the file from your computer to here.

HI Dave.
Thanks, here we go.Western Side-2.skp (1.9 MB)

I’ve got your file open. I see plenty of issues with the model but what exactly is the problem you are having?

Hi Dave, Appologies about delay, we must be in different time zones.
My main problem is I can’t highlight the floor plane. I want to a concrete texture which I did with a previous version but because I put the gradient in it seems to be mucked up. The other issues I’m aware of are the windows don’t occupy a hole in the wall they are kind of layered on it and also the walls are a bit not sorted.but I can probably work that out. It is mainly the ground plane I’m concerned about. If you think I should start again I will. First proper effort at sketchup. Thanks in advance

The only horizontal surface in your model that might be considered a “floor plane” is already painted with a wood siding material. If you are referring to the space between the walls, there’s no face to select nor paint with a concrete texture.

I’ve turned off materials so face orientation is evident and I changed the background color so you can see where there aren’t any faces. The arrow on the right points to the only “floor plane” face. The arrow on left points to a gap that ought to be fixed.

Note that the blue back faces shouldn’t be visible. It should only be white front faces that we see once the model is 3D. In some cases like the top of the wall above the two windows, it’s because the face is missing. In other places it’s because the faces are reversed.

The window component you selected doesn’t have hole-cutting enabled so it won’t create an opening. You could trace around them and use Push/Pull to create openings. Since your walls have thickness that’s your best option anyway as hole cutting components can only cut through a single face. One of the windows isn’t on the surface so that needs fixing…

Well, I’m not trying to be mean but I think I would suggest starting over. There are enough things wrong that I think it would be easier to start from scratch. Even the dimensions seem to be wrong.

I would suggest starting the model at the origin (where the axis lines cross), keep on top of proper face orientation, learn how to use groups and components to separate geometry into objects and save painting the faces until after the model is pretty well built. Textures can obscure things when you are working on the model. As cool as it is to show those materials, it’s generally easier if you wait. You might want to go through the SketchUp Fundamentals and get a little better grasp of how the basics work.

As a first effort this is OK but it can be so much better with not a lot of work.

Hi Dave, thanks for the detailed input. Lots to garner from your replies. The purpose of the drawing was only to really represent the landscaping job I will be doing in-between the two houses, the ground plane is the face missing I guess. How to add a face? Anyway I got carried away and started building more into the model than necessary. I will go through the sketchup fundamentals and have another crack. Thanks again.

Ive just had a look at the Sketchup Fundamentals. What a brilliant resource-thanks!

In order to have a face you need a closed loop of bounding edge that all lie on the same plane. You have the closed loop but the edges aren’t in a plane. Notice the Z-coordinates for the points in the screen shot.

If you fix that issue, you should be able to create a face. One option of course is to apply the milk stool principle and make triangles. That would get you faces however it wouldn’t be one single face and that might turn out to be problematic.

Is this your place and do you have ready access to it to take measurements?

HI Dave. Thanks again for continuing. Yes its my place. I have measured pretty well. Those windows of the front deck were actually just mocked in without measure. The rest of the measurements are reasonably accurate. The face in question slopes on two gradients, length and width and will always run downhill and away from house, perhaps not as much once i do final level but there will definitely always be gradient.

Then you will probably need to use triangles to create the surfaces in there.

Just had a go, that will get me out of trouble. So in future if a site is on a gradient and one wishes to add a texture etc, is the triangle method the best?

Generally it would be. It depends on the exact situation but there’s no twisting of faces like there would be in real concrete or plywood so if the perimeter edges aren’t going to be on the same plane, you’ll need to do something to create co-planar edges in order to get faces to paint materials on. Triangles are generally the solution.