Can't highlight and select push / pull

Cheers man, and thanks again for your time.

1 Like

Hi Dave, I am a newbie on SketchUp. I have created a floor plan and created a new scene called 3D, but when i try to use Push pull i get a red cross. I have tried to fix it but I think I made it worse. Can you have a look at it? ) Stines floor plan.skp (313.3 KB)

You cannot push-pull a group or component. You must enter the group to edit the faces inside. Your walls group has the faces inside nested groups - you can explode them, leaving only the “outermost” group. The walls group also has some tiny edge or something that restricts the first push pull inside it to a very tiny amount, less than a millimeter.

Ok thank you:) So when you draw up a floor plan in 2D you should not make any groups or component? And then go to 3D and you can do push pull. But want the furnitures you insert in later be stuck to the walls then? Or are you going to make groups after you have push pull.

No. That’s not it at all. In fact you should make groups or components. It’s just that to make any changes to the geometry inside the group or component you need to first open it for editing. Double click on it with Select or right click and choose Edit Group or Edit Component as appropriate.

If you don’t make groups or components to contain the geometry, other ungrouped geometry can stick to it. That’s useful in some situations but mostly not useful.

Thank you! I deleted everything then I drew it without making any groups or components. Then i Push pulled and then I made a group. That worked. Do not know if that is the wrong way around but if i made it a group first and then tried to edited the group it did not work. I have used ArchiCAD earlier which is a bit different.

There was anything really wrong with your first model. You just needed to open the groups for editing to make them 3D. That’s a thing you will need to learn to do because there will be many times when you need to make changes to existing groups or components in the model.

Please say more about how it did not work. There may be a simple misunderstanding we can correct.