Bugsplat Reporter not appearing

I’ve been chasing down some sort of corruption in a specific file that I need to continue working with, and I’m happy to report that I can consistently recreate a crash, but Bugsplat Reporter is not appearing when SketchUp crashes, so I am not able to submit a bug report through that channel. I have had no success getting any sort of relevant answers from Trimble tech support, so I am asking if anybody can shed any light on what it means, and what can be done, when SketchUp crashes without offering me a Bugsplat Reporter window to submit a bug report?

I intend to create a new topic to discuss the actual problem that is causing a very reliable crash, but here are the details about my setup and the situation that leads to my Bugsplat-less crash:

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB
SketchUp Pro 2018 Version 18.1.1180

I have a large and old file that has been edited over several years with several versions of SU (available on request). Something has gone stinky inside the file, which causes a crash if I either cut-and-paste the geometry into a new file and save, or import the old file into a new file and save. The crash occurs when I attempt to save the new file: SketchUp simply disappears (and the new file does not get saved), and a BugsplatReporter icon appears in my dock, usually with no windows, but sometimes I see this window, which doesn’t tell me anything I know what to do with. (Clicking OK quits the app.)

I’d be interested to know if this is considered expected behaviour of the bugsplat software, and what might be an appropriate way to report the problem that I’m experiencing with my file in the absence of bugsplat information.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

if you make a copy using Finder, will that open and save, intact…

if you can add the skp, a few users could try on their systems…

john

Thanks John. I’m trying to keep the issue of what’s going on (or not) with BugsplatReporter vs. what’s gone wrong with my file in separate threads so as not to muddy the forums with mixed up issues. I haven’t got around to writing about my actual problem yet, but I will link to the other thread here, and include my corrupt file there, as soon as I do that. [I suspect that the issues may be difficult to tease apart, but I think it might be worth a try–please advise if this is not helpful]

As promised, I have started a new thread about the specific problems that seem to be causing the crashes that do not invoke the Bugsplat Reporter as described above. I’m hoping to learn something on both of these fronts.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.