3D Rendering Tips needed

Hi, fairly new to the forums. I have all this while been on my own to model and render my works. I am now at the stage where I want to seek professional help and get ideas on how to further improve on my works and improve my knowledge in this career that I have chosen.

If you have any ideas on how to improve the realism, Please do give me your feedback. I really do wanna be the best that I can be.

5 Likes

I think you’ve done a super great job to start with there.
The shiny surfaces really help to bump up that realism, however you may want some surface contrast - can you make some of the surfaces a little less shiny? The white panels at the back for example.
When you have 2 planes meeting each other, it’s a common practice to have some detail to break that connection.
On the left where the wall meets the floor : Skirting board. You could also intentionally create a shadow gap between the carpet and board to further break it.

Those chairs are perfectly aligned - move them all a few millmetres around , maybe turn one slightly to suggest it’s just been used and someone has walked away.

I would next look at what can you do to tell a story - what is this room being used for , who works there, where is it?
What small details or other objects could you place to help this be understood? Notepads on the desk? writing on the whiteboards?

4 Likes

I too thing the render quality is quite high enough - even so that it draws my attention to the design issues. Is the design really hard surfaces all around, especially in the walls? It makes me worry about the acoustics. I was once in a similar but smaller room, and I couldn’t make sense even of my own speech.

1 Like

Hi @Imran3512 and welcome to the SketchUp forums. We are thrilled to have you as a new member. I am not as experienced with rendering as I would like and my vray experience is less than yours if you are already able to produce a render like that so well done on getting this far! I have always found rendering to be somewhat of a tricky business as there is no right or wrong way to do things. It is a far more subjective process than the sort of technical modeling I tend to do in my free time.

I will however mention that the windows on the left are either very bright or you lack a sky or landscape outside. While technically you don’t need one as this is clearly an interior focused render, it does draw my eye to the area, so it may be worth considering adding something out there in the future if you are going for a ultra detailed hyper realistic look.

I also agree that minor imperfections add realism so you may want to think about that too going forward as while it is tempting to make everything absolutely perfect, reality has a way of messing up our plans. I would second the suggestion by Elmtec-Adam that you consider moving the chairs slightly as that makes the room look a little more real.

Overall though I think you are well on your way to getting a very impressive render here. I hope that you continue to post going forward as I anticipate you will be making some extremely impressive stuff and I am eager to see it!

1 Like

Thank you this really does help. I think because I focused on creating what I see, I tend to forget that the details are in the things that we can create. The shadowgap to break the wall and floor is a great advice to follow. On Monday, I will try to create that gap to further define the line.

As I thought using the Ambient Occlusion layer from the render parameter could have fixed that but maybe I should focus on creqting the gap rather than hoping the layer could fix it for me in post process.

Ooooo Yes I should try to add a little more detail to craft a story. I have an image of me adding people to the render but my composition stills feels quite off and I am trying to fix that before I ask for any help hahaha. Maybe will ask in the photoshop forum. I am new to asking for help in forums. Shy haha.

1 Like

That is a good question, sadly I do not do the design. I follow what the design team would like to do and create what they envision. But I do understand that a full glass surfaced area would cause an echo chamber within the interior. However I think the glass wall has an additional wall above the ceiling grid up to the slat and below the floor board, to allow vibrstions to run through the space, reducing its echo and create a noise reduction for privacy in the meeting rooms.

Thank you for the heads up. If I ever have the chance to pick the brains of the design team, to understand it process. I would get back to you.

I do appreciate all the kind words. Thank you. I do hope to see more works in the forums and study on the tips and tricks to further my understanding in the 3D industry.

:sweat_smile: Yea the HDRI mapping was not turned for this scene so the outside does look bare. I intentionally made it bright to make sense of the sun light coming in strong. Come to think of it I should lower its brightness, the lowering of my highlight contrast always make my work look flatter.

I agree with you and Elmtec, I should add a little more imperfections in my renders to create that perfect realism. Like Mary Coopper (Big Bang Theory) once said " It’s in the imperfect things that makes things perfect."

Hey Everyone on this post got an old render that I’d like to ask your opinion on what I can to to be better.

1 Like

Perhaps some concessions to photorealism might be in order. The interior part looks overexposed. In a photo, if you use an exposure that renders the exterior landscape correctly, the interior would look very dark, with the window mullions and curtains silhouetted in almost black. On the other hand if you expose the photo so that the interior is shown like this, all that would be shown outside would be a white glare.

1 Like

Hello!
Can I get some advice for my glass render settings, I have a issue with glass where some balcony railing have hard reflection but others are transparent, in this case I need to see through. For railing I use one material for windows different. I believe that there is something I dont do right, can someone explain where and what? Tnx!

1 Like

Unless you bracketed photos and combined them as an HDR image (speaking of a photograph, not a render). Then you can blend the best exposure for the exterior and interior together.

Hey man, I cant really tell from my vantage point. Are the glass all the same material? As from what I see, thrre some glasses that are reflective and some arent. If you would like. You could share me your file and I can check it out for ya. But only if your using vray I cant help with other engine as I dont have them.

From what I can say is that, just reduce ur reflection settings, make sure there is no metalness settings and increase the refraction. That should fix it.

I’m guessing some of the glass has reversed faces, as well as maybe not having a thickness. But without the model it is impossible to diagnose things.

1 Like

@Imran3512 all settings seems to be as you suggest, but results are still same. Also material is same
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mAvNkTXa04ptwZxx6WwGny3lAqxxrWoy?usp=drive_link
here is my model.

Okay it seems that reversing faces there is some better effect but still for other railing it looks weird

View your model in monochrome mode in sketchup so you can see reversed faces. You also might need to clean up faces with materials applied to the backside.

5 Likes

Okay that may be the reason why reflactions are disrupted.

Renderers treat front and back sides of faces differently! In fact many renderers ignore back sides entirely. You should model in monochrome mode so you immediately see and can fix reversed faces. Only apply materials after you are sure face orientation is correct, as a material painted on the back side of a face will conceal the fact that it is reversed!

3 Likes

There are multiple techniques for rendering glass and you need to use different material setups depending on how you have modelled it.

You’ve modelled the glass throughout the model differently - some are solid/have thickness and some are not, so you will need different types of glass or you need to model them all the same

If you apply a physically correct glass material to a single face, you get weird effects.

Left is a single face, right is a 1cm thick rectandle. Both with a standard glass material assigned.
You need a glass material with “thin wall” refraction enabled for single faces

Here , both the single face and the thick glass have a “thin wall” material applied.
Again, only one looks as expected.#

That will be the source of some of the issues in this model.

even if you correct this, the index of refraction is set to 1.8 - which is approaching gemstone like properties - in glass that is 1cm thick as it is in some places in the model, this is going to create lots of light bending you won’t see in the real world.
IOR should be closer to 1.5 for most glass materials

3 Likes

Hey Everyone just did a new project. What are your thoughts on my renders.

Also this was the previous option but I made a 360 tour. You can view on this link : Nagase - Yamazaki

2 Likes