2020 LayOut poor performance

If the dispensaries looked like this, it would have been very confusing.

5 Likes

Hey Colin,
Forgive me if this is “cross-topic”, but I just posted some additional questions re the potential of using eGPU’s with LayOut 
 can you take a look and maybe route to the appropriate SU team member(s) for some responses?
Thanks Much 

It still would be better for Adam to comment. He has been quiet this week, and may be taking time off after the hard work he put into 2020.2.

You could add a link to your answer here, to point to the eGPU LayOut post as well.

1 Like

Thanks Colin,
Am I to gather, in general, that Adam is the LayOut guy?
And, sorry 
(showing my ignorance), but I don’t quite know how to “add a link, 
 pointing to 
” the other eGPU topic? Can you educate me on the method?
Thanks!

For the link part, go to the other topic, scroll to the message that is most relevant, and copy the URL of the page. Come back here and paste that URL.

Adam is the lead developer for LayOut.

1 Like

Colin,
Wow, this is cool, I learned something new, thanks to you!

So 
 Adam,
Would you mind looking at these questions when you have a chance and giving me a ruling, or at least your opinion, on whether either of these approaches will indeed work on a Thunderbolt 3 equipped Mac running LayOut?
Thank You!

Wow Colin,
Can you make popcorn in that thing?

I am pretty sure Nick got the joke, and you should have done too. But for the benefit of anyone who didn’t, I added a picture of a Mac Pro. The idea of people tossing their MacBook Pros into a trash can, that was really another Mac, was an amusing thought.

Here’s what’s on the inside.

1 Like

Hey, I GOT the joke 
 wasn’t this old model of the Mac Pro called “the trashcan”?
Seemed like a decent thermal cooling design strategy 
 but it was never very popular, right?

I can’t tell how many people bought those. It was most likely a good computer, and at least one friend is still using his. The design wasn’t ideal.

When you say “wasn’t ideal”, did that have to do with the thermals (an interest of mine), or was it just sort of an Apple “dud”, in terms of features/power?

1 Like

I would bet that it was perfect. Being shaped like a trash can wasn’t ideal from a sales point view.

Isn’t that ironic, for a company known for it’s elegant design aesthetic!
Funny how things always seem to come down to the “sales point of view”!
(Of course, SketchUp’s move to all subscription certainly isn’t subject to this sort of irony!)

Hello, I have aslo a poor performance display on LAYOUT 2020. I just bought a new iMac and I don’t understand why zooming & panning is so slow. I also notice that when changing size bloc text make the text disappear. Same problem when moving sketchup object or any element I can see only de bounding box without the content, it’s really wired and unproductive. I’m using Sketchup since the beginning and I can compare with my old iMac (10 years old) and LAYOUT 2018 the display performance is far more efficient. So I’m also asking myself with the new annual plan fees (299$/year) I’m not very confident with the evolution of this great software. best regards.Capture d’écran 2020-08-18 Ă  16.27.58

1 Like

Many many share this sentiment. There seems to be little to no motivation to impression-ably improve the product in the areas that really matter over many years, but we must take their word for it that it will happen while being fleeced?

2 Likes

If I understand you correctly this is meant to happen in 2020.2.

It’s part of improvements to selection and transformation that SketchUp have made.

For me it’s made Layout quicker and snappier. But I’m on Windows not Mac

Yes I have all updated and bought a new iMac hopping to get great performance. I guess Trimble team have issue mastering CATALINA Os. It is very stressful to work in that condition. Windows system may have a step forward
good for you

2 Likes

Is this screenshot from your old iMac? If it is from the new one, did you buy a recycled iMac?

Not that it should affect the performance much, but if you see a 2019 iMac that is running macOS from 8 months ago, as being a new setup, I just wanted to be sure that you have also updated SketchUp within the last week.

I believe that you still have 2018 installed, would you be able to make an example file that performs well in 2018, but is now slow in 2020.2?

1 Like

The only reassuring thing about this LO debacle is that I’m not alone with being hugely frustrated with it. In short, it’s not ‘fit for purpose’ so, it is a defective product (which I have paid for). I now have update 2020.2 installed and it’s laggy, clunky, erratic and, well, almost useless – do I get a refund?

Clearly this is not a just a little niggle but a major problem, so one would think that Trimble would assemble a crack team of engineers to work day and night to fix this issue, after all the customer is always right. Right? For Trimble not to have a clue when (or if) it will be fixed is verging on incompetence. Any hard news on this?

3 Likes