LayOut 2021 working so slow on my PC. Is there anything I can do?

I have upgraded to SketchUp Pro 2021 Subscription. After this upgrade, LayOut is working so much slower! When I rescale a drawing (a view), i.e. to see some more of the drawing, I have to wait over 30 seconds for it to finish this one, simple operation. The drawing / model is not very big or complicated. The same thing happens when I press Update Model Reference. It takes so much time for it to update the drawing!

I have a PC with Windows 10 Home, version 2004.
I have updated the driver for my graphic card, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

What are the reason for these problems? Is there something i can do? I see in the forum that a lot of people experience LayOut to be slow. This is so much slower than a few weeks ago, when I still used LayOut 2019 on my PC. (So annoying, I did not upgrade to get a slower program…)

You’re right that there have been a lot of complaints about the slowness of Layout. Developers have made tweaks that improve things marginally for most users, so it is a surprise to hear that it has got worse for you. Have you tested it with several different files?

Is there a Layout file that you could share that is working slower with 2021 than with the previous version you were using…?

For me personally (and I do acknowledge others appear to be having slowness issues particularly with Mac), Layout speed has never been better!

Thank you for the tip! I checked with a few other files now, and they work fine. So apparently it seems that the issue is with this one specific file. I made this model in SketchUp 2021, so I haven´t tried this file with any other version.

Would be very interesting to know if there is a spesific issue with this file? (I have been wondering if it could be related to the chairs in the model. They are imported from 3D Warehouse. But they haven´t been causing any trouble in my previous versions of this work, in SketchUp 19.)

Here is the layout file:

Planskisse Jeg kan være en annen, intimscenen.layout (3.0 MB)

Opened up the file in 2021 and immediately changing pages for example is slow.

The SU file doesn’t appear to be large - I did consider it was because of the number of components and possible poly count.

But playing around with it for a few minutes it seems to be ok for me.

I went to document setup>references and purging the file got rid of the file 178006553_SketchUp Stream 84_286.skp. I don’t know if that has made a difference…

Edit: Actually there is slowness when updating the viewport. Perhaps you should consider representing the seating with 2d objects and turning of the 3D representation of the seating in your Layout viewport…?

I put the seating on a separate tag and in Layout turned off the seating and the file seems much quicker.

I think Paul has hit on one of the things causing slowness in your file. With all of the chairs taken together, there is a lot of geometry to be processed. Considering the seats and backrests are painted black, they could be simplified a great deal without degrading their appearance.

I would also suggest that you eliminate the 3D text from the SketchUp model and use text in LayOut instead. This will help to lighten the SketchUp model would improve performance.

You should get in the habit of using tags/layers correctly. All edges and faces should be left untagged. Only objects (groups and components) should be given tags.

Screenshot - 2_15_2021 , 10_01_33 AM

A little more digging shows that you’ve got a scaling issue with your chairs. Or maybe you’re modeling for a doll-sized construction?

It would also be a good idea to keep your model close to the origin. As it is you have it over 36 meters away.

I got the first ever 2021 Layout crash (without Bugsplat) with this, trying to change Display and Output resolutions. Reopened and changed all viewports to Raster. Then I was successful, changing Display resolution to Low and Output to High.

You have some bad practices. Have you used Copy/Paste to bring your model from SketchUp to LayOut, or why are you model files saved in the Local App Data folders? It is definitely not a place to save your models, you should use your Documents folders. There are three model references (1 missing) where there should be only one.
The chair model you use in your auditorium is also troublesome. It is the wrong scale (height is 22 mm)
and too detailed to be used “en masse”. About 95% of all the geometry (faces and edges) in your model are in those chairs.
All your viewports use Vector rendering. Changing that to Raster makes your file much more responsive. Using Vector or Hybrid rendering with dense geometry is a sure way to slow things down. Better up the output resolution with Raster, and use Vector rendering only when you really need it, for instance for exporting CAD files, at least until the developers come up with the speed enhancements they are, I hope, investigating.

1 Like

Thank you so much!
I am learning by doing as I make my designs, so I understand that I don´t always get the things right.
Can I turn off tags in LayOut? Or do you mean that you turned off the seating in SketchUp?

Thank you so much!
This is really helpful. Of course I see now that my model is not close to the origin. I have deleted some other elements, and did not think of moving this.

But the scale of the chair is a mystery to me. When I measure it in my SU-file, I get 86 cm height, a quite normal size of a chair. I tried to send one chair to LayOut, and for me that still is the right scale. Test Chair.layout (994.1 KB)
How can it be that you measure it to be in a totally different scale?

This is so helpful, thank you!
I make my stage designs and model as I get along, so there is a lot of learning by doing… I started off with a simple introduction course, but after then I have just tried to find the solution to things when they appear. So sometimes this can lead to bad practises, I guess.

About copy/paste: I use “send to lay out”. When I am working in my document, I copy the first viewport and paste it to add another viewport. (And then I change the view.) This is actually how I learned to do it in my introduction course. This has always striked me as a little odd way of doing things. Does this cause the problem you are describing? In this one file, I also did another copy/paste, I copied one 2D element directly from an SU file into the LayoutFile, to save some time. I guess this is what causes the extra model reference. But the trouble with the file working slow started long before I pasted in this one element. (I will probably not do that shortcut again any way :slight_smile: )

The other reason I can think of, is that I always save my documents directly to Dropbox. I have all my documents on Dropbox, so I can work on my office PC or on my Mac when I´m working out of office. I have downloaded dropbox on both machines, so the documents sync automatically to my local dropbox folder when I am online. This way I can work both online and offline, as long as I make sure that the dropbox is synced before I switch machine. This system has worked so fine for me the last few years. Do you think this causes any kind of problem?

I have sent only one chair to LayOut, to check the scale. This document is also saved the same way.
Test Chair.layout (994.1 KB)

About Raster vs Vector. I could probably work with the Raster for a while when I work with the document. But as I see it, it is impossible to render drawings like this in Raster. It really looks awful. Even though the line scale is set to 0,1 pt, the lines are too thick. I work with theatres, and they need the documents exported to pdf, and printed on paper. Raster simply does not work for this, is my experience.

EDIT: I am sorry, I just realised that it is better to reply to all posts at once, and not replying individually. I am new to this forum. Will surely do it the right way next time! :slight_smile:

For the scenes that show the high geometry objects you show be displaying a 2D representation of them, i.e. 3D object OFF and 2D object ON.

Scenes that are setup where the high geometry objects are not visible in the scene still turn them off because if you don’t Layout will still be rendering them in the viewport.

I would have a separate Layout file for pretty visuals that need the 3D objects on.

1 Like