2020 LayOut poor performance

Hello Colin, thanks for your reply.
Yes brand new iMac (and very expensive here in New Caledonia) and SKETCHUP 2020 last update.
The comparison is between my old iMac (2010 macOS Sierra with Sketchup Pro 2018) and the new one. I have also installed Sketchup Pro 2019 on the new iMac and it is a little bit better compare to 2020. Here 2 screenshots to explain inefficiency while moving element (or changing size of the frame) : on 2020, elements (Sketchup object or text) disappear. The other big problem is zooming : realtime on SKP 2018, lagging on 2020. Best regards.

1 Like

2nd screenshot

1 Like

After upgrading 2020 sketchup to the newer version, still poor performance, even worse in sketchup. marginal improvement in layout, doesn’t seem to freeze up as much and not as long so progress in Layout at least.
Sketchup is mush worse. constantly not responding, taking considerably longer to recover. Doesn’t seem to be a pattern, some projects I get few not responding, other like it is constant to the point I have to Restart from scratch. Which is what I am fixing to do again on this project. All I have done is import a photo from Google earth, scale it to size so I draw a backyard pool and place our structure next to it.
Usually takes me maybe 15 minutes to draw, but it is now going on an hour waiting on sketchup.
Absolutely disgusted with the response from Trimble and getting their software to work as it did before the upgrade to 2020.
Never had these issues before 2020, and I have been using sketchup for over 15 years.

2 Likes

I understand vector based lag time and hope that can one day be faster. My current problem is that I frequently use layout to arrange a bunch of jpeg images with text and arrows and dimensions as a to do list with visual aids. More than say 6 images (at about3-4mb each) and moving them is way slower, typing is slower, dimensioning etc. This is on a PC with Ryzen 3950x and nvidia 2080 ti. Is there something specific in settings that will make this work because my mid 2010 Macbook Pro can smoke this machine in this one instance.

1 Like

So
 I finished up my last permit drawing set in LO2020.2 (what a nightmare). The sketchup drawing is NOT terribly large - 318,264 edges / 82.9MB. Each layout page has a max 4 viewports (all referencing the same sketchup file), and the drawing set is only 10 pages. I’m running a fully loaded 2019 MacBook Pro with Catalina. When I open both the source Sketchup file and Layout file in 2019, the Layout file runs flawlessly. Zero lag when moving objects (text, graphics, dimensions). Clearly something has changed drastically from SU2019/LO2019 to SU2020/LO2020. Honestly, I have to keep all my files as 2019 until this can be addressed. LO2020 is, for me, unusable.

3 Likes

Same here. top of the line macbook pro and LO2020.2 is unusable! This post is one of the most populated post I have ever seen on this forum
 definitely time to fix this Trimble Team!

4 Likes

100% agree

1 Like

I have had some STRANGE rendering errors and sent them in in August. Radio silence.

Same thing for me. I’m a PC technician of some 30 years. I have a 1060 with 6GB and 16GB of RAM. This is all running on SSD and a modern Motherboard with an i5 9600k at 3.7Ghz with Windows 10 fully updated. Utilization is not high. Windows Explorer is not running amok. Layout is dog slow. I shut down Sketchup, restart
etc Still dog slow. As I write this it has started performing with adequate performance
One minute later it might be dog slow again. Definitely still issues ten months later–I’m a brand new user.

1 Like

I started this thread in Jan. I have been using Sketchup for over 20 years. The 2020 sketchup is where something went wrong. Never had an issue with sketchup before. I don’t have these issues with revit, autocad, photoshop, Illustrator, Shotcut or any of the other software I use. this is a Trimble problem and they need to step up and fix it. while the last upgrade did improve the lag in Layout it is far from acceptable. Sketchup still freezes up for no apparent reason, very random, very frustrating. I have no idea if Trimble is working on it, knows what the issue is, or if they even know how to fix it. At some point, this lack of performance is going to force a lot of people to start looking for a program that works like it is supposed to, or even the way it used to work before Trimble screwed it up. I sure hope Trimble is working on this as there are a lot of people complaining about this. Doesn’t appear to me as a hardware issue, its a software issue.

2 Likes

I’ve been using SU and LO for a decade professionally. Until this year I was using a loaded 27" iMac (2014) with 32gb ram. In March I switched to a new PC, 1TB SSD, 32GB ram, Quadro P1000 etc. Layout runs so slow and clunky on this machine, it’s painful. Even a drawing with no model in it is slow, I open a drawing template and I am adding text and titles and there is a delay for the letters to show up as I type. There’s a delay from clicking something on the screen and seeing it selected. Adding a model view just makes it slower. I can hear the fans in the PC spinning up and down every time I do anything.

Is there a setting I should change? The hardware runs Solidworks 2021 fine, Abobe is fast, even SU and Enscape3D is pretty quick. Just Layout is dead slow.

The general consensus from the multiple threads on this issue is that it is definitely a software issue! Any number of frustrated LayOut users have thrown major hardware upgrades at this problem in the hopes of some performance improvement - to no avail!
SketchUp is a great program, its such a shame that LayOut is such a poor partner. It drags down what could be a real industry powerhouse. Trimble seems unwilling or unable to just bit the bullet and rewrite the LayOut base code from the ground up. It is apparently either too hard or too expensive, or both!

Adding my name to the list of people suffering from having to work with the unacceptable lagging in Layout. It’s never been great but even experimenting with a plain white box model with no shadows, raster mode and the display resolution set to minimum the lag resizing the viewport is awful. My home office pc is a decent spec and the pc I use in the office has an NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, Intel core i5-6400 CPU and 8GB Ram.

This really needs to be sorted or at least a clear explanation from Trimble outlining some kind of goal for when/how it gets fixed.

1 Like

I was reading your post with abated breath thinking you’ve solved the reason why some people are having problems with Layout

but all you did was describe you experience of Layout on two different machines :confused:

1 Like

Could you say whether the older machine is a non-Retina screen, and the new one is Retina? Also, what pixel dimension screens are in use in both cases.

from your screenshot your test was on Apple machines

and yet your profile says WIN, twice!

I was working on a problem file someone had submitted, and I discovered an issue, and a solution to the issue. The particular symptoms are:

With Pages in thumbnail view, it takes a very long time to open a LayOut file.

With Pages in list view, going from one page to another takes a while.

In this case it took close to an hour to open the file on my Mac, but then going from page to page didn’t take long. The same file on Windows opened quickly, but could take a few minutes to go from page to page.

I eventually realized that my Mac had thumbnail view and Windows 10 had list view. In my test file there are multiple viewports, and the linked model has over 4 million edges in it. It can take several minutes to jump to the more crowded pages.

The solution is to either slowly visit every page while in list view, or change the Pages view to thumbnails. Do that before going to bed, or watching a movie. When you return, save the file, and next time it will open quickly and going from page to page will be quicker.

A related thing, any change to a viewport will make that page update its thumbnail, even if Pages is in list view or closed completely. Doing an Undo of a viewport change will give the same amount of delay.

I wasn’t able to find a way to not have the thumbnail created. The time to update the page thumbnail may account for some of the apparent slowness in LayOut.

2 Likes

An update - I have just upgraded my hardware to a 9th gen Intel Core i5 9600K, with 32GB RAM and a GTX 1050ti 4GB graphics card. Layout is now acceptably useable.

I would still say that when resizing viewports it could be slicker and I still find that if I don’t carry on holding down the CTRL key after unclicking when drag-copying things Layout will just move the original object instead.

Hope that helps anyone wondering if an uprgrade might improve performance in Layout for them.

1 Like

Thumbnail view from pages or scenes can stall or crash a file