2020 LayOut poor performance

I have been following the thread and have similar Layout lag issues. My laptop is a Surface Book 2 with GTX 1050, i7, 16gb of RAM. Resizing view ports, updating model reference and changing line size etc seem to be the slowest. My not responding hang times are 30 seconds to 2 mins but I am only working on small models but all the same between making an adjustment to sketch up > Saving > updating model reference > a small adjustment in layout and then saving and exporting the time adds up. I have installed the latest Nvidia drivers a few times and had microsoft techs run diagnostic on my machine.

A resolution to this problem would save a lot of time and angst.

Have you checked in the Nvidia control panel 3D application settings that SketchUp is set to use your Nvidia card? The default automatic selection doesn’t work, in a laptop it switches to integrated grahics to save power :frowning:
image

May I add my name to the list of frustrated SU Pro 2020 users on Mac.
Have been using SU Pro and Layout without any major issues for the past 10 years. Huge issues with this latest version however, it has become unworkable due to the lag issue. I am having exactly the same issues as Rob.
I doubled by Memory last month 8GB to 16GB), there was no improvement in performance.
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M390 2GB.
I have had to revert to SU 19, pity as the new features on 20 are quite useful.

An update/fix from the SU team would be most welcome.

Im running Mac Os, High Sierra, 16gb Ram and Rad Pro 560 4096. Just upgraded to 2020 subscription sketch up, Layout. Layout is unworkable, resizing is impossible. Etc
As with many others ive got deadlines and this is costing money. As well as the upgrade cost!
63 messages with the same problem read them all.
Any news on resoulution yet?
All the best

Hi Colin, it would be good to get a progress report on this resolution, before I have start to revert over 50 files to SU19.

I posted something about a work around that seem to have helped a lot. It’s here:

As I mention there, the underlying issue is being worked on, and will be fixed in an update to SketchUp. I can’t tell you when that might appear, so I’m hoping that the work arounds will improve things for you.

Yes, I have the same issues for so, so long. I sort of came here to vent really lol but… i have used Sketchup for many years on many computers, Mac and Windows old and new. And currently my personal computer is more then capable, and yes i have the correct graphics settings(not that there is much), and all the requirements and then some, also i run completely licensed with all the latest updates: Sketchup, OS, Hardware.
But sadly all the same old issues still exist. There are so many hacks you need to do to meet deadlines, and i really like Sketchup and layout!, but i just cant keep working in Layout anymore.
i do hundreds of hours in both programs for work, and i cant believe the glitches and errors contently, please please support team focus on Layout for awhile, we need basic fixes!, im not going to spend any more time mentioning them here, but we really need someone there to do something! anyway i have projects to finish! im exited for the next 4 hours of waiting for layout…

Top Tip: if u create a line segment and group it with your scene view in layout, u can resize it much faster, without much of the old dreaded resize issues!

:slightly_smiling_face:
what are…

I have been putting up with Layout 20 lag issue on screen for a few weeks now, however, the zooming after every action every day is wearing thin. Is the development team any closer to resolution?
I was considering reverting to SkUp19, but was reminded of a bug with Layout 19/Mac OS Catalina that greys out the undo/redo buttons which was also frustrating.
While I’m having a moan, is anyone looking at the Layout export PDF compression issue from Mac OS. For years I have had to make do with ‘optimising’ PDFs in Acrobat after export (with JPG compression) to reduce and clean up files (a laborious two step process), as my outsourced printing company could not print them.

Did my work around suggestions help?

I believe the underlying issue is fixed, but it then goes into LayOut, and along with other changes has to go through some tough QA. I don’t know what date the next update will be released.

If you mean zooming in /out after every action then yes.

No, I mean what I wrote about turning off the scroll wheel inertia, or setting the scrolling to a much lower value.

Whoops, sorry, I didn’t expand your full response. I’ll give that a go now. Thanks

You know what they are Paul. layout needs attention, and normal users should not need to hack it to make work.

I’ve just downloaded the update for Sketchup (2020 v. 20.1.235). LayOut has become unusable. I’ve attempted the mouse fix without any luck. I am actually using a trackball with a Wacom Cintiq. I have never had issues before but I cannot accomplish anything with constantly having to wait in excess of 5-10 minutes or at times to completely restart and redo the work that i have lost. What is more important is that I am using this for professional work at home during this pandemic. I have a machine that is more than capable of handling this work and my models are clean.
When can we expect a fix to what has been described in this thread and online? This is going to cause many problems in the future when we are forced into a subscription service where we are paying a price, a price that is expensive for some, and we have software that we cannot use and are forced to wait on a fix.

Totally agree with you…unaccaptable performance.

Hey Christopher, I don’t deny that people are experiencing serious problems with Layout.

Specifically I was asking about the dreaded resize issues in Layout . Seriously I don’t know specifically what those are.

Sometimes, once in a while, Layout freaks out when I resize or move a viewport by flipping back and forth for several seconds.

Fortunately I don’t suffer any serious workflow issues with Layout, just annoyances.

I have had the same. When that happens I restart the PC and all is good again.

That sounds like it may be a memory related issue. Not the physical memory on your machine, but the way the program manages it.

Updated the Sketchup 2020 and its worse. WTH!!!
sluggish, poorer performance.
I now have to draw in fastest styles to get any thing done.
Very annoying when using any textures or adjusting line profiles or depth.
I have been using sketchup for 15+ years and Trimble has seriously screwed up a great program.
If things don’t get fixed, I will recommend another program.to management.
we have about 30 people using this software and its approaching ridiculous