2020 LayOut poor performance

Running the latest 2020 Shetchup and Layout versions. Layout does not want to insert Sketchup model. If I sent the model from Sketchup to Layout the scene will appear but freeze up if trying to work with it. A yellow triangle sign with a exclamation mark appears at the bottom right corner.

Anybody have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

I have 16GB ram, an Nvidia GTX 1060, an i7-8750H 6 core processor, and I’m having the same issue. 2019 was much faster than 2020. Just updating a window will cause Layout to freeze. It gets up to around 20% CPU and 45% memory. I have Layout and Sketchup set to use the Nvidia card in Nvidia Control Panel.

Vector rendering is not at all practical in this version. It’s slow in older versions, but slow enough in 2020 that it’s unusable.

GTX980 here with i7 8700k (OC’d @ 4.6),16GB RAM, NVMe SSD. Layout is nearly unusable with our typical model sizes (200MB). Like others have mentioned, inserting models into Layout, resizing viewport windows, choosing scenes, switching render modes…ALL of these things bring Layout to it’s knees. Incredibly time consuming and frustrating performance for very simple tasks.

Trying to create elevations for a large model and it’s making me rethink using SketchUp/Layout for this task.

Any updates on this issue? Its becoming unusable. We built our business around SU / Layout, so this a major problem.

@colin
Any updates on this issue? Its becoming unusable. We built our business around SU / Layout, so this a major problem.

What happens if you restart the computer? (tossing stuff at the wall…)

I still cannot make it happen to me, to then think of a workaround. But I have watched it happen to someone else while on a screen share. I’ve chatted with the lead LayOut developer, and his thought currently is that there is a connection with using a Magic Trackpad, and the screen share person was using a Magic Mouse. But then I only use Magic Trackpad, and still can’t get it to go wrong.

For the customer on the screen share I asked then to try working with a corded mouse, and I haven’t heard from them since that suggestion. The way they work with LayOut involves a lot of zooming in and out, and panning, and it’s possible that the problem starts when you’re able to do a combination of actions at the same time, as is possible with a trackpad or touch controlled mouse. I haven’t figured out what the two actions at the same time must be.

Quitting LayOut and opening it again gives you a fresh start. When it does start to happen there seems to be nothing else you can do to stop it going wrong. Either zooming a little, or resizing the window, will make things refresh.

I will continue trying to make it go wrong for me, and hopefully notice what action I had just done.

Mac vs PC myth busted… I’m on a PC. My laptop (Surface Book 2) has a GTX 1050, i7, 16gb of RAM and my desktop has dual GTX 1070’s, i7 and 64gb of RAM both have this issue. I am a returning Sketchup user and the last time I used layout was in 2012… Layout’s performance was atrocious then and is roughly the same now. At first I wasn’t sure if I just built too heavy of a model, but after searching I’m seeing that it isn’t just me. Any time I re-size a view-port, its a minimum of a 10-minute wait. I’ve re-focused my video card’s performance to these apps, but it doesn’t seem to be helping.

Additionally, after running through some of the layering tips in the SWFA books and reviewing my model, I’ve determined that the only “heavy” item I have in it is a small bunch of palm trees… other than that it’s a fairly rudimentary exterior model of my house/lot. I’ll be following this thread for solutions, but from my perspective I stopped using SU/LO in 2012 after these same performance issues. So if the software worked, I’ve apparently missed the “prime” years.

Hi
I, too am having very slow results on layout. Using pro latest version. Attached is the simple model I am trying to set up workshop elevations and details. Very slow to expand the viewport boxes and when I try to open the viewport to orbit etc the whole thing freezes up.
As mentioned above this is an important aspect of my workflow and I have just spent the last 3 hours trying to get some simple drawings to the guys in the workshop with no success. Large window elevations, sections, detail.skp (3.2 MB)

Downloaded your model and in a matter of minutes set up a number of viewports (front, rear, top, sides…)

Opening the viewport and orbiting has no lag.

This doesn’t help to you I know…

I have this same exact issue!
and im using the same exact spec computer.

What i’ve done is zoom in and out of your paper space.
Go to 25% and then back to 100% or FIT TO SCREEN.
That usually gets rid of the grid.

But not sure how to fix the lag. Since most mac Users are experiencing this i think it might be MACOS and Graphic Hardware/Driver issue

If this was true there would be much more written about it in this forum. I don’t use a Mac but I wonder where the difference between the users with this problem and those without it lies. Recently there was a thread where a similar problem on the PC side was possibly caused by an obscure setting in the Nvidia control panel.

Hi Paul
Thats annoying. Just opened everything up again this morning. Elevation viewports are working fine. I have all views set up in sketchup anyway. But, once again , try to orbit within the viewport and everything has frozen up again. I thought, maybe, if I rested the poor, overworked computer for a weekend it would be feeling more friendly on Monday. But no!

Have just done a test on this very simple model with the same orbiting problems???
test.skp (190.3 KB)

Is the viewport Vector or Hybrid rendered? I strongly recommend to keep everything you need to manipulate in Raster mode until finished. And I always set my display quality setting to Low and output quality to High in Document Options.

Hi Anssi

Everything was in raster as recommended and in low res. Neither which worked at the time.
However… I have just uninstalled all Sketchup and features. Turned computer off, given it a pat and then reinstalled latest version only ( I had a couple of older version still installed) and, all of a sudden, everything is working. I have tried with much more complex models with the same success.
Happy Mondays :partying_face:
Thanks

Hi. I have the same Layout screen lag issues since upgrading to SU Pro 2020.0. Viewport render of vector/hybrid are slower. Drawing, editing and selecting simple objects not showing until zooming, where it immediately corrects. Restarting file/Layout does resolve this issue (not all of the time), but only lasts briefly for no consistent time or pattern. I also get feint pixel screen grid others have mentioned most of the time that does not print.
My set up:
iMac (Retina 5k, 27inch 2017)
4.2 GHz Quad-core intel Core i7
16GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics Card: Radeon Pro 575 4 GB
Magic mouse with Magic keyboard.
OS 10.15.3
I run my business with this set up, so would like to get a resolution as soon as possible.

I’m doing tests of an idea today, that may help the situation. I will report back in a little while…

I just upgraded to 2020.1. Love the enhancements to SketchUp, but LayOut was horribly slow, jerky and unpredictable. One thing that was extra annoying was left single-clicking to select a viewport and having it pop into SketchUp Edit mode … which I never do in LayOut.

@colin I saw your suggestion for working with a corded mouse. I have been using a Logitech M705 wireless mouse with the native Windows drivers. I plugged in a cheap HP corded mouse and noticed much more stable interaction with LayOut. With the corded mouse, the left single-click simply selects the viewport as it should and dragging to resize viewports is much more predictable than it had been with the wireless mouse.

That said, with my hardware setup, LayOut is still slow to work with, but with the corded mouse, at least it’s once again usable for my hobby woodworking designs. I would upgrade my hardware if there was more definitive information on what would actually help LayOut performance.

Just a qualified aside, as I am not a programmer … could quitting LayOut and opening it again to get a fresh start be an indication of a memory leak in the code? (Apologies, I’m usually pretty good at re-stating the obvious!)

The developer does, hopefully, know the nature of the underlying problem, and it’s not a memory one. Also, just closing the document and opening it again is enough to give you a fresh start.

I’ve had one case where the not-redrawing issue was for a user on Windows with a corded mouse. In his case setting the scroll speed to the lowest setting improved things a lot.

For this particular issue, the fastest computer on earth would still be affected, but for general LayOut performance a faster computer should do better. If you know anyone with a faster machine, who would be willing to let you try it for a little while, you could get a sense of whether it’s better.