Very similar issue here - any suggestions yet? I’ve got very simple files. I can work with Layout for awhile with no problems and then I start getting a lag. Restarting the program completely sometimes fixes it for a bit. Restarting the file sometimes fixes it for a bit. Every time I have to do this, it breaks my concentration and I end up losing a lot of time. I’m posting here because now it’s doing it right away when I go back into the file. Basically, I try to select something and nothing happens, if I zoom in and out, I can see what I’ve selected. So, it’s a select - zoom in/out - perform action - zoom in/out. This is not helpful when the action I’m trying to make is to move something. Happy to send a video of this in action. Will contact the support team directly on this soon.
This is true, Layout 2020 is slower !
(this is a new feature from SU 2020 “Love your Layout Slower, eat slow food and admire landscapes and cows” : )
Had to log in here to express my extreme dissatisfaction w/ 2020 Layout.
I have built my business around this software. I purchased multiple copies of the 2020 software this year + we have been forced to stay on the 2019 software. It is unreasonably slow.
I’m running on a 2017 iMac Pro w/ a Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB graphics card. There is no way I should be running into performance issues.
I have asked SketchUp for a full rebate + all I got was an automated response telling me to use raster viewports. This is an insult.
Colin,
Can you provide us w/ a date when we can expect the extreme Layout lag to be fixed? Most of us are running businesses which are seriously affected by the poor software performance.
LayOut Performance Hopes Dashed!
Your post is very concerning to me, as I have been seriously considering upgrading my hardware (I’m currently running SUP on an iMac 5K 27" 4.0 Ghz, w/ an AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB video card and 32 GB ram). I’m looking at going to an iMac Pro with your Pro Vega 64, 16 Gb card.
I was REALLY hoping such an upgrade would solve all my many LayOut performance problems!
I have studied this forum for years and adopted all the many LayOut best practices and workflows, but it is still a woefully slow, glitchy, and inadequate product.
You have dashed my hopes for a hardware related solution …
It appears our only salvation lies in the Trimble software code itself - will they bite the bullet and finally FIX LayOut?
And so, we wait, and plead with them, and wait … and probably for a really long time!
But hey, with all this new subscription money, they are bound to get right on it!
Right?
Hi Colin,
I’m looking for an exact date when the Layout issues will be resolved. I run a business w/ this software.
If you don’t have a date, can you please provide me a phone number of someone I can call to discuss + get a rebate for the multiple workstations I have updated to SketchUp 2020? There is no phone number listed + I’ve been sold faulty software.
Thanks.
Nobody can give a date. I’m sending you an email about other options.
Kindly advise to the outcome here.
Julian,
Basically, SketchUp refuses to tell their customers when + if we will receive the functioning software we paid for.
Sean
Hi Sketchup Team
You may be aware of this already… It has been posed in the past. We operate an office predominantly using iMacs running SKP + LAYOUT. We have several new iMacs that should be more than capable of running Layout the way it is supposed to run (Sketchup itself runs fine). I believe the issues have something to do with the Retina displays. I am running a MacBook Pro 16" top spec’d connected to a Mac thunderbolt 2 monitor, Layout runs PERFECTLY. The other iMacs in office are top spec’d last year models and Layout is a nightmare, very laggy performance, jumpy, not efficient. Has this been investigated already? The Retina connection. We have one staff member in office that uses a Windows machine, no issues here, Layout runs fine.
Like all that have posted here, we need an answer. When Layout works the way it should it is a dream, this fix is taking way too long. It has been an issue since Mojave. It has not improved. Please look into Retina being the cause. It is 100% an issue.
You can test the theory about Retina by doing a Get Info on LayOut. Check the box that says Open in low resolution, then open LayOut. That will make all programs run smoother, as you’re dealing with 1/4 of the number of pixels. It will of course not look as sharp, but if the iMacs are now a little bit faster, it didn’t help much. If they are radically faster, then Retina may matter.
We’re all using Retina on MacBook Pro, so I don’t think that is going to be the problem, but the real underlying problem that is being worked on would be worse if you are dealing with four times as many pixels.
Does this mean that the problem IS being worked on, with hopefully a solution soon?
Whatever the problem is, there does seem to be a big difference between Layout on a PC and Layout on a Mac.
Mike
Hi, I’m new to this forum but have been using both sketchup (love it) and layout (ugh!) for a few years. I’'ve been using a Mac for almost 35 years and have tried transition from vectorworks to sketchup /layout because of the ease with which sketchup translates into a true design tool. Unfortunately layout problems make me want to abandon the whole thing. So this rant is basically a warning to Trimble- get your act together and stop making false promises! I agree with mike12 and MichaelSiggers. Layout is so buggy and tedious I want to blow my brains out. Trimble needs to fix this immediately or refund everyone who uses it. How about providing a phone number or links for individuallized complaints (or will I be told that ifI don’t keep up a subscription into 2021 I’m screwed). Honestly you’ve provided no useful information to this problem and it is extremely time consuming to commit and then work thru documents in layout. It is clearly a systemic problem with the application. Who do I call to register a complaint and how do I get a refund? Will the bug fix be issued in the 2021 version and I’ll then be required to buy into the new subscription revenue stream to get the fix?
Apology for the rant. Here is more useful background. I tried the same files on two Macs: (a 2019 5K 27inch iMac 3.7 GHz core i5, Radeon Pro 580X (8 GB), 24 GB memory with a second 27" thunderbolt display) and (a 2016 15inch MBP 2.6 GHz core i7, 16 GB memory, Radeonn Pro 450 (2GB) plus Intel HD Graphics 530 (1536 MB). Both Macs are running OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Using latest version of SketchUp Pro 2020 (includes latest LayOut update). SU (file size 102 MB, few scenes) works fine. Corresponding LO file (63 MB not many sheets) is buggy, jerky, generally poor response on both Macs. I tried several suggested different mouses wired and wireless , reset inertia setting… no improvement. No other apps running… no improvement. … Help
I’m not trying to rain on your parade or say that mac isn’t a useful option for professional programs like sketchup, I was a mac user for 10 years. As soon as I started needing good performance from a computer or laptop and customizability I never looked back after I switched everything I owned away from mac. I think mac is a joke for professionals and today windows 10 and the pc machines are just infinitely better for price and performance customizing and performance. In the past it may have been a different story but in my experience with my machine (which is not listed on my current sketchucation profile btw) I spent about 3k on my machine and 36" ultrawide monitor and I would never ever go back to mac or iphone, any of it. I think mac is a novice platform and not a professional one, even though there are many mac professional devices it’s still a joke when you try to compare it to windows. My suggestion for you is if you do this professionally or are starting to require high performance machines for your software needs is that you ditch mac and iphone all together because it from a general standpoint it is not as good and will probably never be as good as the windows options for the phone, laptop and computer. I would suggest making the switch. This is my experience having used mac for many years, just wished I knew all this sooner.
Not saying this solves your problem, but worth considering for sure I would say.
If I were an engineer I might agree with you. Regardless of the platform your saying this is a hardware issue therefore a hardware solution. Trimble sells the product for both Mac & PC. I didn’t see any marketing that says it will not perform well on a Mac or only performs well on a PC. did you? Seems a software issue to me. They should fix it. (and BTW yes I agree that Mac’s are way over priced).
So there IS a real, underlying problem that is being worked on, and it’s real, and underlying!
Well, I guess that’s a start … but you can’t tell us how underlying the problem is, or when we might look forward to some real underlying improvement?
I agree completely …
So is it now becoming apparent that Trimble’s poorly kept secret is that LayOut and Mac just don’t play well together?
If so, where was the full disclosure warning when all of us Mac users bought SketchUp Pro?
Did they build the LayOut code for Windows PC’s only?
Of the issues that I know about, two are Windows specific, and one is cross platform. The one that is cross platform seems to be worse on systems that have input devices that use clever inertia software to make delicate control of things more pleasant. On my work MacBook Pro I have macOS Mojave as the main system, Parallels running Windows 10, and it also has Bootcamp so I can test like a real PC and not a virtual one. The feel of the control of things in Mac and Parallels is great, but in Bootcamp Apple have done too good a job of making the machine be like a real PC. I frequently am overshooting when moving over to click on an object. I’m glad I can do most of my Windows testing in Parallels.
Anyway, that thing that makes movement on Mac be so nice, also provokes the cross platform issue. So, when that one gets fixed there will be more Mac users noticing a difference than there will be Windows users. The issue itself isn’t to do with input devices or inertia at all, but has some percentage of chance of happening each time you zoom or pan around the place. With typical Mac devices, such as Magic Mouse 2, the number of changes of pan or zoom may be 10 times more than a PC with a USB mouse. And so the problem comes up more on Mac.
Thanks Colin,
I appreciate you clarifying what you meant by “underlying problems”, but really? That’s your description of LayOut’s “underlying” problems? Thats it? Just the Mice?
I’m using a 3DConnexion 3 button cad mouse, not an apple Magic Mouse, and LayOut is still a big problem …
As I read the many complaints about LayOut performance on this Forum, I doubt this is all about Mice! I was hoping you were going to say something like, “yea, we are finally going to rewrite the underlying LayOut code so it works” … but no, I guess not!