Zooming into sketch up and being jumped into space

Hi,

I’ve had this happen many times to me. I have several rooms filled with furniture on my sketch up and when I try to zoom into the room, it jumps me into the middle of nowhere and I have to spend the next 5-10 minutes trying to find my rooms again… I have no idea where it sends me to. Could it be because my rooms aren’t on the ground even though they look like they are? How do I fix this!

Thanks

It’s hard to say what’s going on exactly without seeing your model. Can you share it? If it’s too large a file to upload directly, upload it to Drop Box and share the link.

At least save one scene to always get you back on track within seconds

1 Like

Most often this sort of thing happens because part of the model is very far away from the rest.

Uploading: Floor plan.skp… I’m having the same problem. I’m also unable to zoom in any closer than about 20m away. This is the first time I’ve experienced this and I need any help available. Thanks.
2019-06-15T12:00:00Z

As I told the OP, it’s hard to say what is going on without seeing your SKP file. Upload the file so we can see it.

Thanks for your response. I’m a basic user of all things computerised and I’ve tried uploading but it won’t go. How can I share this through Dropbox?

I think I figured out the Dropbox link Dropbox - File Deleted . can you see the file?

That worked. You have a label located at a great distance from the rest of the model so you are getting clipping when you try to zoom in close.
Screenshot%20-%206_15_2019%20%2C%208_08_47%20PM

After deleting that label, it is possible to zoom in quite close to your model without getting the clipping.

1 Like

Thank you!!! I have been struggling with this all morning. That did work. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Hi Dave,

I tried to upload it…do you see the file?

Hi Rachel.

No. I don’t see the file. Where are you trying to upload it? If it’s more than 3Mb, upload it to Drop Box and share the link.

Downloading the cheese now. :smiley:

You’ve stuck Brice way out along the green axis a long way from the rest of the model. This will create issues for you. Zoom Extents shows him out there. His banishment to the outer reaches of the kingdom can also cause you problems when you are zooming in on detailed parts of your model.
Screenshot%20-%206_17_2019%20%2C%2010_46_33%20AM

After erasing him from the model space, Zoom Extents gives this:

I think you could improve things considerably in your modeling if you would use layers to show different room arrangements while using the same walls. No need to make copies of each room to be able to show the different arrangements.

Thank you so much! Lol.

I will also look into layers because you have a great point…anything to make my life easier. Thanks!

1 Like