Your Trial has expired... Wrong!

I couldn’t download SketchUp on my main operating system, windows 7 ultimate, because I had no space on the C drive. Why can I select to install it on another drive if it still wants to install 300+MB on my C (a larger total than the re-allocated install). Anyway, booting to my G drive that runs windows 7 home premium I installed sketchup. Launched it once everything worked. Booted up back on ultimate and tried opening sketchup. Nothing happened. 2 clicks later all 3 opened up successfully. After exiting of the first 2 that both had an active trial the third to my shock had an expired trial. I closed and reopend twice only to see the same message. Why…? I wonder if I had closed that and kept one with an active trial open I would still be able to use sketchup.
If this bug cant be fixed at least fix the install. It really annoys me when installs do this when there is no reason to. Proven by the fact that I could open the software when it had no files installed on my C drive

Software usually has more or less dependencies. In the case of SketchUp, these can be shared system libraries that are not installed by default on some systems, and of course they would be installed into the OS’s folders, which are in your case on the C drive.

When you installed SketchUp on your second operating system and tried to run it afterwards from your first OS, it may have failed because of the same reasons: You didn’t install it, so dependencies were missing or not found. This is true for any software on any OS, unless it is truely self-contained software.

Additionally Windows’ concept of drive letters makes it hard to cleanly install an application on another drive (or move applications). (Physical) drive letters as part of file paths that are spread over the registry, preferences, configurations can break easily whenever you attempt to move an application to another place. Consider different techniques to add disk space where you need it without affecting file paths (like custom mount points, or replacing folders by symbolic links to another drive).

With less than 300 MB you have a quite space-constrained hard drive or partition (that maybe can’t operate at optimal speed). It would certainly facilitate things if you just make more space.

3 Likes