SketchUp Make 2017 (64-bit) installation to Drive D: does not work

I have downloaded:

SketchUpMake-en-x64.exe

Type of file: Application (.exe)
Description: SketchUp Make 2017-64-bit Installer

Size: 148 MB (155,205,312 bytes)
Size on disk: 148 MB (155,205,632 bytes)

Created: ‎Wednesday, ‎September20, ‎2017, ‏‎2:54:41 AM
Modified: ‎Wednesday, ‎September20, ‎2017, ‏‎2:55:33 AM
Accessed: ‎Today, ‎October17, ‎2017, ‏‎38 minutes ago

File version: 17.2.2555.0
Product version:17.2.2555

Alienware 17, Gaming Machine, Revision 4. with Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (15.9 usable), System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor, Windows edition on: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, with current updates

SketchUp Make 2017 (64-bit) Setup, does not work.

Install SketchUp Make 2017 (64-bit) to: *D:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017*

Setup will create the following associations:

1. Set SketchUp to be the default application for ‘.skp’ files.
    1. Set LayOut to be the default application for ‘layout’ files.
    1. Set Style Builder to be the default application for ‘style’ files.

Out of Disk Space

Disk space required for the installation exceedes available disk space.

Voleme C:, Disk Size: 107GB, Available: 127MB, Required 361MB
Volume D:, Disk Size: 931GB, Available: 607GB, Required: 611MB

Voleme C:, Available: 127MB, is not correct, and I had 1.4GB Available yesterday, and 867MB Available today.

As I read you e-mails, and I check my computer,

I have this NVIDIA collection installed:

NVIDIA 3D Vision Driver 385.14
NVIDIA GeForce Experience 3.9.0.61
NVIDIA Graphics Driver 385.14
NVIDIA HD Audio Driver 1.3.34.29
NVIDIA PhysX System Software 9.17.0524

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, with NVIDIA Control Panel 8.1.970.0
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
DirectX runtime version: 12.0

I have this Micorosft Visual collection installed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 - 2015
Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Tools for Unity 2.8.2.0
Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 1.10.30637.0
Microsoft Visual Studio Code 1.16.1
Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 with Updates 14.0.25420.1
Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova 14.0.60527.5

I have this Intel(R) collection installed:

Intel(R) C++ Redistributables on Intel(R) 64 15.0.179
Intel(R) Dynamic Pllatform and Thermal Framework 8.2.11000.2996
Intel(R) HID Event Filter 1.1.0.317
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology 15.7.5.1025
Intel(R) Graphics Driver 20.19.15.4549
Intel(R) Management Engine Components 11.6.0.1039
Intel(R) Secutiry Assist 1.0.0.534

As I am at the end of this, I also have this installed, FreeCAD 0.16.6700, from Juergen Riegel.

I have 0 problems, with any other software programs, and I have 0 idea, why SketchUp Make 2017 will not install. I have downloaded SketchUp Make 2017-64-bit Installer, several times, to make sure, it was correct. I have tried installation of SketchUp Make 2017-64-bit Installer, as myself, and as Administrator, which I am anyway. If you can help me, install SketchUp Make 2017 (64-bit), i will appreciate it. I want to install SketchUp Make 2017 (64-bit) to Drive **D:*, which has available, space, so does Drive **C:*, but it will not install. Thank you.

What options do you have when you right-click on installer file?

How to **run**

58F670CF-9F36-4AAE-8E2A-5ADC061B3DF4

1 Like

Have you right-clicked the installer and selected “Run as Administrator” from the menu? That selection raises privileges beyond what you have when logged on as an Administrator, and is necessary for SketchUp to install correctly. It might not be the source of your problems - we won’t know until you try it - but it has certainly been the source of numerous other sometimes very strange issues.

October 17, 2017

Steve Baumgartner, Jack de Moel, Mike Wayzovski,

When I have tried, to install this file:

SketchUpMake-en-x64.exe

Type of file: Application (.exe)
Description: SketchUp Make 2017-64-bit Installer

Size: 148 MB (155,205,312 bytes)
Size on disk: 148 MB (155,205,632 bytes)

Created: ‎Wednesday, ‎September20, ‎2017, ‏‎2:54:41 AM
Modified: ‎Wednesday, ‎September20, ‎2017, ‏‎2:55:33 AM
Accessed: ‎Today, ‎October17, ‎2017, ‏‎1 minute ago

File version: 17.2.255.0
Product version: 17.2.255

When I “Right click” on the file, my 1st 3 options are:

Open
Open using Resource Hacker
Open as administrator

I have tried to install, as myself (the main, and only user), and as Administrator (which I am anyway), neither option works.

I have entered, an installation point, in Drive **D:*, which has, over 600 GB, of free space. My Drive **C:*, is not full, with over 1.45 GB, of free space, but I want to install the program, on Drive **D:**.

The program takes me to a drive listing, with no ability, to make changes. It is clicked, on Drive **C:**.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

From what I understand, there is a difference between running install while logged in as an administrator, and the command “Run as Administrator”

It does not matter who you are logged in as, you need to choose that third option (Run as Administrator).

maybe an issue with the installer routine checking for free disk space but failing if not installing on default drive "C:".

You may want try to open the SU setup file with a ZIP archiver application, rip off the main SU setup file “SketchUp2017-x64.msi” to a local directory as e.g. the Windows desktop and launch the MSI from there by “right-click > Run as Admin” .

If you don’t have a ZIP archiver or don’t wanna download anything you can also rename the setup file from e.g. “SketchUpMake-en-x64.exe” to “SketchUpMake-en-x64.exe.zip” and open with the Windows File Explorer (read only). Don’t run from there but copy to a local directory before (see above).

This is pure speculation, as I am on a Mac and don’t currently have a Windows box to check, but you list right-click options that all say “open”, not “run”. This suggests to me that your PC is not recognizing the installer as a executable file. This idea is similar to what @sketch3d_de wrote. Do you have an unzip program installed that might be intercepting the access to the file (e.g. what is Resource Hacker?) and failing to pass along the elevated privileges when it actually runs the unzipped msi?

Hi there, just to way in, having only 127mb on your Windows Drive is never healthy. I would highly recommend leaving at least 5GB minimum on each drive. Windows downloads and updates all sorts of stuff in the background and applications can cache tonnes of stuff on the C:Drive (that why your seeing the fluctuation with your space). I’ve seen fluctuations as big as 30GB sometimes especially when I’m rendering so i have no idea how you survive with that little space.

But to get to the point Sketchup doesn’t only install to (Programs Files) it installs to hidden paths in your C drive (like C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 20xx…etc) so that’s maybe why its not working.

October, 18, 2017

Steve Baumgartner
SketchUp Forum
North of Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Steve, I read your thoughts, and these are my responses, to everything. I am currently on, an Alienware 17, Gaming Machine, Revision 4, with 16 GB Installed memory (RAM), running Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, with all current updates. At my home, I have an Apple PowerBook 5300c, which is old, but several of my friends, use Apple, Macintosh , and NeXT products. I am also, familiar with the old SCO UNIX, and today’s Linux.

“This is pure speculation, as I am on a Mac and don’t currently have a Windows box to check, but you list right-click options that all say “open”, not “run”. This suggests to me that your PC is not recognizing the installer as a executable file. This idea is similar to what @sketch3d_de wrote. Do you have an unzip program installed that might be intercepting the access to the file (e.g. what is Resource Hacker?) and failing to pass along the elevated privileges when it actually runs the unzipped msi?”

I do have installed, 7-Zip, A free file archiver for extremely high compression.

7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio. You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial organization. You don’t need to register or pay for 7-Zip. 7-Zip works for Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2008, 2003, 2000, NT, ME, and 98. And there is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license. The unRAR code is under a mixed license with GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions. Check the license for details.

Name: 7-Zip 16.04 (x64)
Version: 16.04
Publisher: Igor Pavlov
Installed On: 10/13/2017 (Updated)
Size: 9.51 MB

I expanded, the originally downloaded file, and I received a directory:

D:\Downloads\SketchUpMake-en-x64

Which has sub-directories:

SketchUpPrerequisites
vcredist_x64

The main directory included:

presetup.exe
setup.exe
SketchUp2017-x64.msi

I executed setup.exe, and it asked me for a Destination Folder:

D:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\

I chose to create, all of the following associations.

After Install, I receive an Out of Disk Space message, and I cannot change anything.

I had to cancel the installation.

I executed presetup.exe, with the exact SAME results, of setup.exe.

My DATA (D:), has 606 GB free of 931 GB, right now, after trying, these 2 installations.

I have tried, SketchUp2017-x64.msi, current version on Today, October 18, 2017, Size: 168 MB, from Trimble, Inc., several times.

A Drive D:\ sub-directory, D:\Downloads\sketchup_install\ directory, was created.

I was suggested, to install Resource Hacker, Version 4.5.30, but I have not used, the program.

Name: Resource Hacker Version 4.5.30
Version: 4.5.30
Publisher: Angus Johnson
Installed On: 5/8/2017
Size: 13.3 MB

Resource Hacker - Angus Johnson’s Homepage
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
http://www.angusj.com

Resource Hacker™ has been designed to be the complete resource editing tool: compiling, viewing, decompiling and recompiling resources for both 32bit and 64bit Windows executables. Resource Hacker™ can open any type of Windows executable (*.exe; *.dll; .scr; .mui etc) so that individual resources can be added modified or deleted within these files. Resource Hacker™ can create and compile resource script files (.rc), and edit resource files (.res) too.

Resource Hacker (also known as ResHacker or ResHack) is a free resource extraction utility and resource compiler for Windows developed by Angus Johnson. It can be used to add, modify or replace most resources within Windows binaries including strings, images, dialogs, menus, VersionInfo and Manifest resources. It can also create resource files (*.res) from scratch and the latest release (May 2, 2015) provides a number of text templates to facilitate this.

In 2002 the author stated that he had “no plans to continue development”. However, since then he has released more updates.

In 2011 the author stated that he would neither release nor sell the source code.

• On November 19, 2009, version 3.5.2 was released as a beta. This build added support for 64-bit executables and for displaying PNG images.
  • On September 16, 2011, version 3.6 was released with support for PNG icons.
  • On May 2, 2015, version 4.0 was released with improved support for 32-bit image files, resources can be started from scratch (with a number of resource templates), and numerous cosmetic improvements.
  • On August 17, 2015, version 4.2.5 was released. This build added support for changing a text resource format: Unicode, UTF-8, ANSI.

Developer(s): Angus Johnson
Initial release: December 3, 1999
Stable release: 4.5.30 / November 27, 2016; 10 months ago
Development status: Active
Written in: Object Pascal
Operating system: Microsoft Windows
Size: 3.1 MB (after installation)
Available in: English, Chinese, Japanese
Type: Resource extractor & compiler
License: Proprietary, Freeware

Steve, do you have, any ideas, on how to install SketchUp? On my Drive D:, I have 606 GB free of 931 GB, and that is where, I want to install SketchUp. I do not know SketchUp, or I am familiar with SketchUp, but I heard it was a SketchUp great program, and I wanted to install SketchUp.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

chimmysmurf3, Smurf T,

I agree with you, and I usually run, with around 1.4 GB of free space, on Drive C:. Due to Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, with current updates, my free space moves around greatly. I have SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 128GB, as my Drive C:, with a Western Digital HGST Travelstar HTS721010A9E630 1 TB Internal HDD, as Drive D:. I try and install, all programs, to Drive D:. It is difficult, to manage the used space, on Drive C:. I try and keep, Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Tobii Technology, and Skpe, only on Drive C:. I have also installed, Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016, on Drive C:, and it was installed, by Microsoft, knowing my desires, for Drive C:.

Best wishes,

Frazier

might have something to do with the available temporary space required by the installer typically located at the drive of the Windows installation.

You can check the temp space by typing in “%temp%” (w/o quotation marks) in the Windows seach bar and hitting Enter, delete everything there besides files from today (sort for date).

btw, there is no need to post the whole description of external applications for processing your problem, tia.

Thats unfortunate but I really think you’ll have trouble installing it on your secondary drive as the program just isn’t built to work like that. My next suggestion would be to partition your D drive and merge some of that to your C drive therefore increasing the capacity of your default System Drive ( Drive:C ). Think it would be your best option.

Maybe check this link out it could be helpful?:

Hope it helps,

Regards

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.