Your model is 114MB and exceeds the file size limit of 100MB. Please reduce your file size and try again

Well, maybe you have imported one or more models into the scene that have many polygons and/or many high resolution textures that are making the file 114 MB, some unnecessary models or textures might be removed temporarily so you can at least open and check the model yourselves to see how to optimize the size further, so you can continue using it within the free version of Sketchup.

It must be saved to Trimble Connect, right? You can look at previous versions (while we figure out how it got so big): see Retrieve my file - #2 by Mark for instructions.

Hello Barry:

We uploaded the file that was blocked, we purged the layers section from the file, put it doesn’t let me save the file as a new version. Trying to follow the instructions from
link: Retrieve my file - #2 by Mark

section:

Why?

UI might be updated a bit, but I did it on a simple file and it worked for me. When you removed the layers in SketchUp, how much smaller did it make it?

Hello Barry

The sketchup from Web doesn’t permit to:

1. save the file(.skp) under a new name.
  2. save the deleted layers.
  3. Extract the file with other extension (Locked).

What other option do we have?

Did you download the skp to do that? This would be my choices:

1. Try older versions until you find one that WILL open in free (web)
  2. Download SketchUp 2017 free and download the file, resize the file making it smaller, then re-upload as a new file.

There is a 10GB free limit on Connect as well. If you’re over that, either sign up for more space, or clear out files.

Hello Barry:

Had to buy a non for profit organization license, not what we expected:
https://www.sketchup.com/company/programs/non-profits

It open and moves smoothly.

Thank everyone for trying to help.

1 Like

Barry suggested you use the Free 2017 Make version, no need to buy anything at this point.

Hi, I have the same problem and I have a Sketchup 2023 Pro subscription.
The skp model was saved without any problems. When trying to re-open it, it gives the error message “De bestandsgrootte heeft de toegestane limiet overschreden en kan niet worden opgeslagen” (in english: “the file size limit exceeds the allowed limit and cannot be saved”.
How can I reduce the size of the model without opening it?
thanks for support.

If you have a subscription to Pro, you (sh)(c)ould install the desktopclient, open the file and purge some stuff.

@MikeWayzovski ,
How big must a file be to get that message??
We’ve seen files over 1GB here that were saved at some point…

The online versions of SketchUp seem to have a 100 MB file size limit.

@Anssi :

I am just guessing, but he might be confusing Pro and Go, it has been seen before. Pro has unfortunately no such limit.

2 Likes

the file is not that big, just a little over 50MB, so I do not understand what the problem is.

When I try to open the file directly, it gives a “bugsplat” error message.

And I am not confusing Pro and Go:

best regards
Alec

Share the file so we can take a look at it and see if it might be related to your machine.

Where have you been trying to save the file?

You’ll probably find most people on here aren’t wealthy, but we still pay the correct fees for the software we use. Non-profit doesn’t mean you can’t spend on something.

@dennisb : Do you realize you are reacting to a 5 year old message?

Hi Dave,
thanks for the hint…I was indeed already looking if I was not able to put the file somewhere else. I noted that I also had problems to move the file from a cloud storage location to my PC. The problem was indeed that there are apparently size limits in the mapped networkdrive that I used in my Windows explorer. I suppose this caused the problem when I was trying to reopen the model in Sketchup. Solution was to download the file from the cloud storage location and then I was able to open it without problems. Hope this helps if anyone else encounters a similar issue.
Best regards
Alec