Your favorite keyboard shortcuts that you added

Hi! So, newer user (<2 years). I am an avid keyboard shortcut user vs clicking buttons. Other than the default keyboard shortcuts, what have you added to your Sketchup program that helps you be more efficient? I have a few like Paste in Place and Make Group, but was curious what everyone else does to speed up their modeling!

Paste in place, six of the nine Flip Along commands, Delete Guides, shortcut for TIGā€™s Purge All, shortcut for TIG-Weld, shortcut for Exploded Arc Lines to arc. I expect thereā€™s more but those come to mind.

Edit: @TheOnlyAaron reminded me of the toggles for Hide Rest of Model and Hide Similar.

More: O for Offset (no need for a keyboard shortcut for Orbit), F for Follow Me.

4 Likes

Paste in Place, Toggle View Hidden, Edit Component-Hide Rest of Model, Vertex Tools, SubDā€¦ I think the rest are stockā€¦

2 Likes

Among other shortcuts these two are easy to remember (to me they seem language independent):

• to switch to ā€˜Parallelā€™ view ]
  • to switch to ā€˜Perspectiveā€™ view /
6 Likes

ā€˜Hā€™ for hidden geometry is always the first I change, thereā€™s no need for the original hand tool as a shortcut.

4 Likes

I created one for Look Around, Add scene, paste in place (for me one of the most important), view hidden objects, view hidden geometry. I need to add one for hide rest of model. I see others use that way more than I typically do.

3 Likes

Shift-H for me - oops, sorry, for Show Hide rest of Model. I do have a use for the Hand tool (though, maybe not enough to need a shortcut). When I go to orthographic view, I use the Hand tool to get the view centered where I want it. In theory you can do that with the mouse, but so many timeā€™s Iā€™ve accidentally orbited ever so slightly and messed it up, Iā€™ll only use the Hand tool just to be sure. So for me, Show/Hide Rest of Model and Paste in Place are top of the list.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a good one! I never though of that !

Show/Hide Rest of Model and Paste in Place! Curic Mirror (Alt+M) and New for us is (D) for ā€œCuric to Level 2.0ā€. Especially Helpful when modifying at the end phases. Version 1.0 has a funny video of the incessant clicking down into sub-groups Curic To Level v1.0.0 - YouTube. Thank You Curic! curic4su.

1 Like

I nearly forgot:
Escape is what it is, but I put Select None next to it on F1, and the Select Tool on F2. If Iā€™m deeply nested into a group or component using Move or Push/Pull or something, when Iā€™m done editing, with three fingers of the left hand, F2 drops the tool, F1 drops the selection, and Esc, Esc, Esc,ā€¦backs out of the group as needed.

4 Likes

I have Sketchup Make, so I donā€™t have Layout, I use another program (DesignCAD 2D) form my 2D drawings. This is the keyboard shortcuts I use for both.
SketchUp and DesignCAD Keystrokes +.pdf (34.8 KB)

I also have a programable keyboard (Logitech K350), and have mapped Protractor, Texture, Monochrome and Space to various keys.

X for X-Ray

4 Likes

Ctrl-H: Hide
Ctrl-Shift-H: Unhide last
Ctrl-Alt-H: Unhide all

Alt-M: Face Style > Monochrome
Alt-S: Face Style > Shaded with Textures
Alt-R: Component Edit > Hide Rest of Model

Alt-P: Protractor

Iā€™ve been seriously considering adding shortcuts for Delete Guides, Paste in Place, Component Edit > Hide Similar Components.

Shift/B = Select Bounding Edges
Shift/E = Explode
Shift/F = Select Connected Faces
Shift/G = Group
Shift/P = Paste in Place
Shift/Q = Protractor
Shift/R = Reverse Faces
Shift/8 = Freehand Draw
Shift/NumPad+ = Axes
Shift/= = Unhide Last
= = Hide Selected
] = Dimensions
D = 3D Text
U = Unglue
W = Weld
X = Delete Guides
Ctrl/H = Hidden Geometry

L = LINE
B = BOX (RECTANGLE)
R = ROTATE
M = MOVE
P = PUSH PULL
O = OFFSET
S = SCALE
T = TEXT
D = DIMENSION
A = ARC
C = CIRCLE
F3 = HIDE ALL BUT SELECTED
F4 = SHOW ALL
F12 = ZOOM EXTENTS
F11 = ZOOM SELECTION
/ (?) = QUERY TOOL
G = GROUP
X = EXPLODE
ALT F = REVERSE FACE

All single keystroke, first letter of the command and physically compact, no finger stretching

Autocad shortcuts had the nice ability to use the same letter multiple times
allowing very efficient hierarchy of shortcuts

eg d = dimension, dd = distance ddd = dimension setting dialogue boxā€¦
very quick as your finger does not have to move

PS use the same shortcuts for Affinity Designer, CorelDraw, Draftsight, Powerpoint where possible

3 Likes
, Camera/Position Camera
. Tools/Interact (dynamic components) [These were my first two custom shortcuts, and I wanted to make sure they were not used by any other tool :smile:]
Alt+C Edit/Cycle Previous Selections (Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse)
Alt+D Edit/Delete With Bounding Edges (Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse)
Alt+E Extensions/Back To Root (Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse)
Alt+F Tools/Follow Me
Alt+I Edit/Intersect Faces/With Model
Alt+M View/Face Style/Monochrome
Alt+R Edit/Item/Reset Scale
Alt+T View/Face Style/Shaded With Textures
Alt+X View/Face Style/X-ray
Alt+Z Edit/Item/Zoom Selection
Ctrl+B Tools/Fredo Tools/ThruPaint
Ctrl+F Tools/Sandbox/Flip Edge
Ctrl+H View/Component Edit/Hide Rest Of Model
O Draw/Shapes/Rotated Rectangle (I donā€™t need a shortcut for orbit)
Shift+E View/Edge Style/Edges
Alt+G View/Hidden Geometry
Shift+G View/Hidden Objects
Alt+H Edit/Unhide/All
Shift+H Edit/Unhide/Last
Shift+P Edit/Paste in Place
Shift+R Edit/Item/Reverse Faces
U Camera/Look Around
W Camera/Walk

U - Show Rest of Model
I - Show Identical Components
Ctrl+Shift+V - Paste in Place
Ctrl+H - Hide
Ctrl+Arrow Keys - Control the axes scale grips (Eneroth Scale Tool Handles)
Ctrl+Space - Eneroth Tool Memory

Just to name a few

I did one of the seminars at Basecamp last week and shared my shortcut file with the class. My main emphasis was keeping your shortcuts on your lefthand side as much as possible to avoid having to look down. Hereā€™s my list:

G Edit/Make Componentā€¦
CTRL + G Edit/Item/Make Group
T MeasureTool:
S ScaleTool:
X RectangleTool:
A LineTool:
Q PushPullTool:
R RotateTool:
O OffsetTool:
V MoveTool:
ALT + 1 viewTop:
ALT + 2 viewFront:
ALT + 3 viewRight:
ALT + 4 viewLeft:
ALT + 5 viewBack:
ALT + 6 viewBottom:
SHIFT + P Camera/Parallel Projection
CTRL + SHIFT + Z viewZoomExtents:
SHIFT + X View/Face Style/X-ray:
CTRL + H View/Component Edit/Hide Rest Of Model
ALT + I View/Component Edit/Hide Similar Components
ALT + Q TurnTool:
ALT + E PositionCameraTool:
ALT + W WalkTool:
ALT + A ArcTool:
ALT + M Edit/Item/Make Unique
ALT + H viewShowHiddenGeometry:
CTRL + SHIFT + V Edit/Paste In Place
CTRL + D Edit/Delete Guides
SHIFT + T Tools/Curic/DIO 2/Trowel

2 Likes

Fantastic so far :smiley: I have a lot I may add from what everyone else has mentioned!