"You Have Exceeded Your Allowed Activations" SketchUp 2022

Maybe I can uninstall it now. Is there any issues I need to be concerned about before uninstalling SketchUp Pro 2021?

Sparrow, I saved all of my local components to a folder (outside of Sketchup). I did need to load them in SU 22 as they did not come across.
Note: You will find your components in APPData>Roaming>Sketchup> Sketchup21>Sketchup> Components

If you are a PlusSpec or PlusDesignBuild plugin user all of your pricing data, recipes and materials will work automatically once you reload the RBZ.

Thanks Bryce, after a bit of head-scratching I figured it out. Log out of Laptop and Desktop allowed me to open 22 on my desktop, however, when I go to my Laptop I still have the same issue.
Am I missing something? It is a real pain to log out of the desktop to log in to the Laptop, especially if I’m not in the same location as the desktop.

1 Like

You can manage all previous sign in’s on all locations by ‘manage devices’ under ‘My Products’ > ‘View included apps’ from a distance.
This includes the one you are working, so you need to sign out in SketchUp there as well ( and back in )

This is where I started and it didn’t work. There’s a button in there for “deauthorize all” which is supposed to deauthorize all your previous sign-ins (which would make this a lot easier), but when I clicked on it it told me that it had been successful, but it didn’t actually deauthorize any sign-ins.

As someone (like Andrew) who works both from a desktop PC and a laptop this is very frustrating behavior, and also opens the door for the possibility that if I’m away from my desktop PC with my laptop, I won’t be able to use SketchUp because I can’t physically get to the desktop to log out of SketchUp.

1 Like

I’ve run into a few issues of late with websites and content blockers, cookies, caches and all sorts of things.
I know these are slightly boring suggestions, but certainly worth a try.

Clear your cookies and browser data.

Try a different browser : Edge/Chrome , Safari , Opera and firefox all use different rendering engines - sometimes they respond differently.
I will boot up opera if I ever have anything weird going on I need to bypass.
Opera Web Browser | Faster, Safer, Smarter | Opera

You could even try signing in via a mobile phone.

myaccount.trimble.com

If that fails, one needs to close SketchUp and delete the login_session.dat file. That would force to sign in again upon start up without ‘remembered’ sessions etc.
It’s found in the local appdata.

Thanks for responding, Mike; without going over what has already been said, the end result for readers who are enduring the same issue is: If you are using your Sketchup22 license on a Laptop and a Desktop, ensure you:

1. Log out of Sketchup 22 before leaving the location of the Desktop
  2. Check that you can log into your laptop before leaving the location ( if not, delete the login_session.dat file)

@Bryceosaurus My question that I am sure others have is:
Will Sketchup22 licensing work the same way Sketchup21 did? EG: SU21 can run on a desktop and a laptop simultaneously in different locations.

Yes! 2022 works the same way as previous versions. You should be able to run it on two machines in different locations.

I did want to mention that I’m not sure why folks are deleting the login_session.dat file in this situation. People should only delete that file when the are having trouble signing out of the desktop app. Removing that file will make it so you need to enter your credentials again to sign in. Removing that file it WILL NOT free up “a machine” so you can sign in from another location. The only operations which free up machines are 1) explicitly signing out of the desktop app via the UI (adds an available device back to the system) or 2) deauthorizing all devices. Also note that it’s a good idea to sign out of all your apps, including older versions, before performing the deauthorize operation.

1 Like

Are you signed out of every version you have access to when you perform deauthorize all? The situation you describe can happen as you open older versions where your sign in credentials are still valid. Deauthorizing all doesn’t sign you out of applications so those can be reopened and then consume one of your allowed machines.

How can signing in to an older version on the same machine consume an extra “machine”?

In general, people tend to do what works, until it stops working.
When a systems allows for discrependencies, it only creates confusing.

Why is a ‘device’ actually a specific version?
I seem to get diverted to a web browser when I sign in or out, so, signin out in the AMP page should be enough?
( many people confuse the sign out part in SketchUp itself with it )
I am allowed to have two devices, but I can have three?
Do I still have to get back to the office to sign out of the desktop when I am on location?

A lot of designers don’t follow Oracle’s programming logic when they are heading for a client on location with their laptop, they typically have 10~15 other things on their mind, signin out isn’t one of them.

Even not taking possible upgrade’s into account, it still wouldn’t be user friendly.

‘I can’t see my products!’ (oh, you did not assigned it yet!)
‘I revoked that member and reassigned it’ ( sorry, that wouldn’t reset the actual sign in’s of that user)
‘Where can I manage my devices, where am I signed in currently?’
‘Where are my members signed in? I need to manage their devices?’
‘I am allowed to reassign a seat in certain occasions, but where can I see how many times I have done this?’
‘What is a Trimble Account? I can see ‘Personal’, ‘Company’, etc.)’

Which is what an user would expect it to do. Frankly, the licensing system is a muddle.

1 Like

Yeah - I guess I’m confused as to what deauthorizing does at all. Every other program I’ve had that uses a system like this has a button you can press that logs you out of all instance of the software, just in case you’re away from that computer, didn’t have access to it, etc.

In this case, it literally tells you on the exceeded activations page to use the link to sign out of old activations. Is the deauthorize button not the button to click to do this?

2 Likes

I realize my answers highlight a bunch of issues with the current system. As I said, we plan to improve these things but doing that requires that a lot of trimble’s wider systems also get major improvements. Those kinds of improvements take time. We’ve been pushing for those from our side for quite a while now.

Also Thank you for pointing out how things ‘should just work’. I’ll be referencing this thread when ever I get pushback on what i consider basic software infrastructure.

~B )

2 Likes

The little head on the top right corner of the warning page is where I finally signed out and of all versions of Sketchup Pro. Then I signed in 2022. And it opened up. Then I wanted to see my plugin locations on the screen, so I signed in to 2021. Now have both working. I think there is one location that tells you to sign out on the top right corner, the head.

■■■■ confusing. Why, I have no idea.

So I have tried everything that has been suggested here.
I even went as far as to delete all previous versions of SU.

Still no luck…

So I’m stuck with useless software that no one at Trimble seems to give a sh@t about just pay more money

If anyone from Trimble reads these boards… find a solution.

Hi twhey57

Sorry nothing is working. I’ve requested that someone on our support team reach out to you. Could you do me a favor and send me a private message with the the email address you use for sign in. I’ll do some digging as well.

Bryce

Hi @twhey57 I’m on the SketchUp support team, and want to make sure we get this sorted out for you. I’ll be sending you an email here shortly! For any other SketchUp Pro users getting stuck with this message you can always reach out to us directly through the link below. We always try to be pretty quick about getting back to you.
https://help.sketchup.com/en/contact-support

1 Like

Ok, I have finally got round to updating to 2022 and I get the above as well.
I have this on my works laptop and my home computer.
I have logged out of both. Deleted the login_session.dat files on both computers and I still get it.

I have also tried to do what the site suggests by deactivating all logins. I clicked on the tab that then sent me to my Trimble account. I went into My products but I cant see the Deauthorize All button.
What am I missing?
Work it not going to be happy with me spending all morning trying to get this thing sorted.

Ok, doing a bit more messing about:
I can sign into my works laptop on SketchUp 2022, so I thought I would try my home computer on SketchUp 2021. That worked as well.
So I signed out of both, by picking my profile in the top right and picking Sign Out, thinking that I am now signed out of all programs.
Tried to use 2022 on my home computer but still get the “You Have Exceeded Your Allowed Activations”.
Looks like I’m using 2021 on my home computer then…

Ok, finally got it working.

I just updated to 2022, and I have logged out of everything multiple times and restarted the machine multiple times…still get the warning that I’ve exceed my limit. Is the only solution to keep using 2021?