Why is SketchUp so buggy?

A good reason to maintain system restore points

Steven Monrad 415 299-5752

Yes my graphics card drivers are updated,And I uninstall all the drivers manually but I am not sure about Run as administrator during the installation process.

Occasionally I get selection tool lag, but it works again after I restart the program.

These are installed windows updates on my PC and my graphics driver is also updated, Still having problem. Please help me.

Hi,

Please follow the steps in the thread below when installing SketchUp.

I reinstall it as an administrator but still having the same problem. Any other fix?

Hi,

Is your computer a Desktop, or a Laptop? (… If you have a make and model number I’d like to see it for research reasons).

Also, can you provide a screen capture of the Properties Window of the Graphics Card… Something that shows what the actual driver version number is?

… I think you can get this info by right clicking on it within the Device Manager Window.

I haven’t been on a Windows system since the days of Windows 7… and I know a lot of the menu systems changed a little bit. So I’m sorry for not having more specific steps for you.

I have a laptop and I have updated graphic driver from intel official website this morning. I think there might be problem with windows updates. But I am not sure.

That’s a possibility… you could test that out by uninstalling recent updates. and testing SketchUp again each time you made a rollback.

BUT, I’d hold of on that for a little bit because maybe someone has some info re: known problems with specific update versions.

If you want to experiment you could try installing a different version of SketchUp. You can run them side by side with no problems… so there is no need to uninstall the SU version you already have.

The worst thing you’d have to deal with is keeping track of which version you run—but that’s rather trivial… and you may discover that one of the others works a little better ??

Version 2017 came with an major update in the graphics handling… 2018 may have refined that some (I haven’t really checked into that yet)… and of course 2016 would have been the previous model requiring slightly less from the computer hardware specs I would think.

Also, We don’t have any sense of past performance:

Was there ever a time when you had SketchUp running well on your computer?
or, Is this a new install that’s never really worked well?

There is always Up and down, Sometime it get fixed by removing some updates and uninstalling and reinstalling graphic drivers and after 2-3 days again problems occur. I want a permanent fix that is why I posted here. I now uninstall the windows update Kb4230204 Kb4340917 but still having problem. The problem is I am not able to find the update which is creating this problme. and uninstalling addition update makes my windows unstable.

I see your new post asking about SU 2016 and VRay compatibility.

As far as this thread goes… Does that mean that you’ve installed SU 2016, and it’s working well?

If you want a permanent fix, you must consider meeting the minimum hardware requirements for SketchUp 2017 to run smoothly.
https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/sketchup-hardware-and-software-requirements
Or upgrade to SketchUp 2018, which has a patch for flaky systems.

1 Like

JimD one of my friend tell me that sketchup versions below 2017 have an option of enabling and disabling the hardware acceleration while 2017 and 2018 doesn’t have. disabling hardware acceleration option in opengl might fix this problem so that is why i am planning to downgrade to 2016 or 2015 and check this last option, if it didn’t work then I will have to upgrade my laptop or shift to some other 3d modelling platform.

1 Like

I have been using Sketchup for several years and when I use my laptop I have the same issue.What I do, which is still a pain in the rear but better than buying a new laptop is open the desired drawing, wait for it to finish loading, you know this when you can select a tool on one of your toolbars. Then I select 1 item or face and then another. If ithere is any lag between, I close and reopen until there’s no lag. Sometimes I’ve opened it and it works, sometimes I have to open and close several times, but once there is no lag it works fine until I open something new or close and reopen a project. How this helps.

Hope this is helpful, engrwaleed. I thought I had chosen a good graphics card, but when SU would only creep along with shadows on, I found this information on card ratings in this forum. Go to https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ to see if you can find your card and how it stacks up, but also what might be better suited for you. I chose one that was a good balance of price and performance, and the difference was night and day. I’m currently using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 and am very happy with it.

To another of your comments where you say SU will say “not responding” every five minutes, that’s SU doing an autosave. That baffled me as well until I figured it out. The bigger the model, the longer each save will take. I believe you can either turn off the autosave function (that would be the death of me!) or change the frequency of autosaves.

This text has been a part of the SketchUp hardware and software requirements page for as long as I can remember (from v.4 at least):

1 Like