Why doesn't my scale adjust when I zoom in and out on my model in layout?

It does not adjust from 1:500 when scrolling in and out on my model in layout. Any suggestions on fixing this error?

What do you mean by “scrolling in an out on my model”?

From what little information yu have provided, it looks like you haven’t set the camera to Parallel Projection so the scale setting isn’t available. Scaling isn’t done by scrolling in an out, either. It is done by selecting the appropriate scale from the drop down list but in order to be able to do that, you need to have the camera set to Parallel Projection.

Best practice would be to set up a scene in SketchUp that shows the model as you want to display it in LayOut with the camera set to Parallel Projection. Select that scene in the SketchUp Model window in LayOut and select the desired scale. Do not open the viewport to change the view or otherwise make the scene show as modified.

Share the LayOut file and I’ll set it up for you so you can see how it should be.

1 Like

I can’t share the files as they are confidential designs.

I am trying to position the model on my layout document to a desired scale, however, when I zoom in- the scale doesn’t adjust (as per the image above).

I have adjusted to parallel projectuon, however it does not adjust.

As I said, zooming in in the viewport doesn’t affect the scale. Do what I told you to do. Make a scene in SketchUp that shows the view as you want it with the camera set to Parallel Projection. Use that scene for the viewport in LayOut and select the scale from the dropdown list.

I have done what you said but the scene can not be selected- it only shows one option (last saved sketchup)

Did you save the changes to the SketchUp file and update the reference in LayOut?

Yes I have

If you have created a scene in the SketchUp file for the view you want, saved the changes in SU, and updated the reference in LayOut, that scene would be available in the Scenes dropdown list. If you can’t share the file, I can only guess at what you’ve missed.

1 Like

Nevermind, I restarted both programs and it worked. Thanks for your help.

Cab u pls tell me the reason why when you zoom in or out , it doesn’t affect the scale .

The scale of your drawing is the relationship of the model units to the real world measurements on paper. An example scale might be 1’=1" (or 1:12) one foot on the model equals one inch of drawing on the paper. So if you are modeling a box that is 8’ x 4’ the drawing on the paper will be 8" x 4".

Zooming in and out has nothing to do with scale. It is simply moving the paper closer to the camera (your eye) or further away. If you printed out your scale drawing and held it close to your face it would appear large and the lines would be 8" x 4", if you placed the paper across the room it would appear tiny but the lines would still be 8" x 4". This is what zooming does, moves closer or further from the paper.

@benblankson this thread is about Layout, the companion program to SketchUp pro for 2d documentation. Your profile indicates that you are a SketchUp free user, are you talking about SketchUp with this question? In SketchUp, there is no scale, everything is 1:1.

1 Like

I think @endlessfix gave you a good answer. Your question is confusing. Your profile indicates you don’t have LayOut. What exactly are you referring to?

As for zooming, if you zoom in with a zoom lens on a camera it doesn’t change the scale of the subject. Same applies with zooming in either SketchUp or LayOut.