What is with the excessive CLIPPING?

I’m now spending 200/year on this product and it’s worse than it ever was as a standalone license.

When does scene clipping occur? I don’t know. Too many objects? I shouldn’t have detailed the angle iron with all those punch holes? Well, tell us, SU gurus. Don’t let’s keep profound issues a hidden object.

I’m working on a Mac Pro 2013 under High Sierra, with 32 GB RAM and two- count 'em, TWO Radeon G500 GPU’s with 3MB cache each. It’s a six core 3.5 GZhz machine. I’m a film editor. This machine runs two streams of 4K ProRes 422 (HQ) without a gasp. Sketchup 2020 ought to be going like a bat out of hell on this setup.

In many drawings, whenever I try to zoom in on a detail, it either pops completely out of view, or worse- the clipping begins. This malady is usually cured by a quick click onZ oom Extents-- BUT NOT EVERY 20 SECONDS. Come on, folks!

Object limit? Memory leak? What is it?’

Otherwise, I love SU and have since V 4.0. And the people I meet who teach and train this product are also great assets.

Feedback welcome.

Best, as always,
Loren

1 Like

Colin has replied to this under the RichardRogersNew thread “GL Clipping.” I have no idea what GL is, but I guess “Good Lord- Clipping!”

Colin’s reply included the info that this is prevalent in V 2020.1, and ended with this thought-

It’s the kind of thing you would hope we will fix soon.

Spot on!

Best, as always,
Loren

Could you attach a model in which you are experiencing clipping.

Aside from what I said about there being a 2020.1 thing that makes clipping worse, today someone posted a file that had a geo location set, and that caused more clipping, even in other versions of SketchUp. I’m going to try different locations, to see if it’s having any location that matters, or if certain locations are worse.

Hi, Box-

Could you attach a model in which you are experiencing clipping.

Here you go. A portionof a bedroom contaning an upper coabinet called “the attic.” Note the detailed angle iron.

Opinions welcome.

Thank you for your interest.

Best, as always,
Loren

LOREN_ATTIC_REV_7-30-20.skp (5.37 MB)

Colin-

What? Now SketchUp is redlining?? :wink:

Best, as always,
Loren

You have a group a considerable distance from the origin, remove it and your clipping will go away.

You should look at your use of Layers/Tags also as you seem to be tagging raw geometry.
Face orientation also seems random, you should generally only see white faces when viewed in Monochrome, the blue/gray faces are the back faces and should be inside walls etc.

Box-

You have a group a considerable distance from the origin, remove it and your clipping will go away.

Rich tip!

You should look at your use of Layers/Tags also as you seem to be tagging raw geometry.
Good points- the Tags and Outliner are completely new for me, introduced recently, and I haven’t had time to train in their use.

Face orientation also seems random, you should generally only see white faces when viewed in Monochrome, the blue/gray faces are the back faces and should be inside walls etc.
I’m aware of that; I’ve always considered this cosmetic but I do reverse my faces for final presentations and apply color when needed.

Thank you, Box!

Best, as always,
Loren

I posted about clipping recently when using geolocation. It seems that the size of the terrain itself is enough to cause clipping regardless of location. As you reduce the size of terrain the clipping lessens but it isn’t really fixed unless the geo location terrain is very very small or gone entirely.

I wish this could be fixed because having the geolocation terrain is a nice thing sometimes.

Attach the New file.

Clipping

Sorry, still trying learn this interface.

The clipping still happens.

I’m in SU V. 20.1.228.

This result occurs even after pasting the immediate area into a fresh file.

Best, as always,
Loren

Edges 84556
Faces 28286
Component Instances 2
Guides 0
Guide Points 0
Groups 35
Images 0
3d Polylines 0
Section Planes 0
Dimensions 4
Text 0
Classification Types 1
Classified Entities 1
Component Definitions 3
Tags 7
Materials 32
Styles 1

Best, as always,
Loren

You can see in the gif I posted above that removing the distant group fixes the clipping.
You can delete from within the outliner. I show it highlighted here.

@Box’s screenshot also illustrates why I always bother to name components and groups (though I don’t use groups much): when they are anonymous like that it is impossible to tell what is what.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I’ll try different sized areas too.

I did that test already. The smallest possible geo location import still shows a little more clipping than with no location. The largest area import does show even more clipping.

1 Like

I worked out something. The extra clipping isn’t to do with geo location, but that’s one way to quickly introduce the problem. To make it go wrong, make a very wide line, along the red axis. Zoom in to provoke the clipping, and it isn’t bad.

Now rotate the line to be on the green axis. Clipping gets very bad, in all versions of SketchUp.

Or, look at your model from the right, and the clipping can be bad.

As makes some sense, that clipping is bad in the direction that is most deep. I tried a test where I tagged the deep items and then hid the tag, and that doesn’t help the clipping.

I will report these findings to the QA team, so they know to test these variations.

1 Like

That is a well know part of clipping, if an object is a long way back on the green axis clipping will be worse from the front and so on…

Edit: I’ve said it before, for me clipping is entirely predictable and I have yet to see a model where I couldn’t find the cause.

1 Like

True there is always a reason for it clipping. I imagine a day when I can have a large model with a geolocation and not experience clipping at all as a result. While I understand that having some geometry further from the center is the culprit, I still don’t understand why that can’t be addressed. Cheers!

1 Like

I don’t disagree.

So geolocation is to be avoided? I generally do not use it.

If you geolocate the model and then delete the layers with the imagery, does it still cause clipping? (I’m not using 2020 and deciding if I should stay away from it).