Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

My Name is Ron Johnson. I have been using Easy Cad for 30 years but I needed a 3D solution. I am Retired after 45 years at Emerson Process Management company in Sep 2015… The company makes Industrial Control Equipment to efficiently run complicated production processes for companies such as Pulp and Paper companies, Oil and Gas refineries, Beer Brewing companies etc.
I purchased a DIY CNC Machine to keep me busy in retirement and need a 3d program to create some models to machine.
I have a BSEE in Electrical Engineering, am a Vietnam Veteran and have pretty much been working since I was 12 years old.
I have been doing woodworking for 50 + years, Photography for 40+years and I love hiking in the Mountains. I have 24 cruises under my belt with 3 more planed.
I am married to the same woman for 50 years in Aug this year, have 2 sons and 3 grand children ages 4, 6 and 7.
I first used Sketch up in 2015 before I retired. I have just recently, today, installed it on my computer and am learning how to use it. I would classify myself as a beginner.My current project is to layout my garage to more efficiently use the space for my woodworking tools .

1 Like

Hello all!

1 Like

Hi, my name is Deanna, and I haven’t been able to figure out how to get a picture posted here. I will be happy to show you what I look like if someone can teach me how. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a profession. I am currently mostly bedridden. Hopefully it’s not a permanent condition.

My hope that this isn’t a permanent condition leads me to why I have SketchUp. I have been dreaming of designing my own tiny house on wheels. Even if I need a caregiver for the rest of my life, I should still be able to travel, rather than live the rest of my life in this very nice bedroom.

I’ve never used SketchUp, and I’ve only gotten thru the 1st tutorial so far. I’ve never used any design program before, so I am about as green at this as is possible to be.

My set up? I use a 64-bit HP laptop. Is that important for you to know?

As you can probably tell from my above statement, I like to travel. I am very hopeful that I can design my perfect, low-cost tiny house to allow me to do that.

Emoji’s? I rarely use anything except the :slight_smile: , the :wink: , or the <3 . And I like the beach, but long walks? Well, my walker wouldn’t appreciate it very much. :wink: .

My interests are anything to do with human rights (the whole gambit), and everything to do with conservation and protecting or healing the environment. That’s why my tiny house has to be almost completely powered by wind and solar power, including solar water heating.

I’m enjoying the process of designing this in my head, but it’s time to put it on virtual paper now. So I am looking forward to learning how to use it.

Is there anything I missed? Let me know. I’m glad to be here.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Doug. Semi retired mechanic, carpenter and maker. I want to use sketchup in my design and build tool kit. I’m a beginner but have dabled in CAD for several years now and hope to improve my skills now that I have a bit of free time. I’m using Make 2016 64 bit because my 2010 HP lappy won’t play with the 2017 version. Maybe a new laptop in my future.

Current motorcycle is 93 KLR650

1 Like

Thank You

1 Like

Jon Carpenter here, Fabricator, welder, designer wanting to present my work and quotes better to clients. Brand new laptop, but it is still getting something wrong on an extension and not working. correctly.
I like sketchup. Using it with a water jet to cut out parts is pretty great.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

1 Like

[quote=“SketchUpCommunityManager, post:1, topic:6944”]
Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )
I can’t, I am very sensitive to my privacy… just know that I am very shy… but here’s my glorious smile: :grin:
Even though I won’t share an image of me, here is an image of a model I made of myself in SketchUp:
me as a image.skp (208.4 KB)

Click to show me!

What is your industry and profession?
None, I just use SketchUp as a hobby. I actually work at a grocery store… lame I know… :flushed:

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
I use SketchUp personally to create game assets to import into other games.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
I use it because it doesn’t take a long term tutorial of billions of youtube videos and manuals to use it (I’m talking to you, blender!). It also makes modeling less scary. My favorite thing is that it’s like “drawing” rather than “modeling” as modeling is more complicated for me. I just want to “draw” my model :laughing: .

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I am “intermediate” as I know how to create most basic models. I also created a house once. There are some features I am confused about such as rendering and sandbox tools.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
I have no idea what “SketchUp 3DBasecamp” is.

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Hewlett-Packard HP Z220 SFF Workstation - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 with Intel(R) Core™ i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz and 8192MB RAM. GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics.
It’s on a traditional small office desk with a wooden chair (I don’t like rolly ones). A Plantronics headset with an attached mic. My monitor: Acer - model no. K202HQL, Display size 1366 x 768(p) (output rate 59.790Hz).
Sketchup Make 2016

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
No, I like to keep my models private…

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
I am shy, I like to get things done. I am very serious… all the time (I can joke sometimes but most of the time I am serious). That’s all?

What is your favorite Emoji?
:scream: BOO!

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Ummm… Yes? I do like them, especially with my friend… but is this question supposed to be serious? :confused:

1 Like

Hi, my name is Ernie and I live in Queensland Australia, I have been using Sketchup for some time, but am not an expert, there are still manythings I have problems with.
Thankyou for the welcome. Ernie

1 Like

I am Sasikumar, a Mechanical Engineer worked in a Heavy Engineering industry for about 35 years. in various capacities. I worked mostly in Quality Management functions and in the last years was doing project management for modernisation of Seamless Steel Tube Plant.

I have used Sketchup during my Industry work for laying out machinery, designing small machines and accessories. Personally, I used SketchUp for making 3D Model of houses and household articles for modifications and construction.

SketchUp has been my favorite tool for drawing 3D objects for quite some years by using it as a leisure time tool to learn 3D Modeling. I like verymuch its simplicity to start learning 3D Modeling. But now I know how its useage has gone leaps and bounds.

I could call myself at the intermediate level as for my SketchUp skill is concerned. I haven’t gone to any SketchUp 3D Basecamp.

I am using SketchUp Make 2016 on a Desktop with 32bit Intel core2 duo processor with 4MB RAM. Planning for an Upgrade shortly.

My favorite emoji is :slight_smile:. I do like to walk on the beach whenever I have the occasion.

Thank you for joining me in.

1 Like

Terry O’Day, teach in the art department at Pacific University, MacBook pro, skip version 2017, new to forums.

1 Like

Tom Andrews. New user. Windows 10, 64 bit. Woodworking hobby. Age 81.

2 Likes

My name is Chad. I own and operate a custom furniture and cabinet business. My professional history includes using AutoCAD and Adobe products both as a furniture builder and as in a prior career as a designer at a civil engineering firm. Customers have recently begun asking for 3D renderings of projects and Sketchup seems like the most user friendly format to provide that. I’m a total newbie to Sketchup.

3 Likes

I love walks on the beach, and cantering, and sometimes even galloping! I love the feel of the sand between my hooves…

My name is Natty, and I am a Hexapod. Seriously, ask my husband or anyone who knows me, and they will confirm that I do have two left feet!

In case you don’t know, this is a hexapod… (which is also one of my sketchup models, although I haven’t shared it yet).

I’m very much an amateur modeller, and model for fun only. I use Sketchup Make, and don’t have any other software, so everything I do is in Sketchup.

I started modeling clothing first of all, because most of the human models uploaded to the 3D warehouse many years back didn’t have clothing. To model the clothing I wrote a ruby script to circle about an object and create a mesh a short distance from the object being circled. It probably took me a week to create my first model - which today I’m confident could be done in a few hours.

I have about 30 scripts now, which I’ve created to assist me in modelling various items. Most are a lot simpler than my first ever script, which used the raytest function and was quite ambitious.

From simple coloured meshes I lean’t how to apply uv’s to my models.

In the days of the 10MB file limit, I figured out how to use components to reduce the file size, and still have seamless transition between components. I wrote scripts to help automate the process, although a lot of it is still labour intensive.

I’ve also written exports and imports in ruby (exports for OBJ, SVG and XAML) and an import for OBJ. Not fully featured, and I’m sure the pro version has all that and more, but I’m on a budget (of $0)

A big thank-you to Trimble for keeping Sketchup free!

Also, I’m not an advanced Sketchup user, as I still don’t know what most of those buttons do ! :blush:

I’ve created my Centaurs using a blend script, which I’ve refined in the last couple of weeks so I can simply select three groups, and have the unpainted group blended nicely.

The actual transition mesh between horse and human isn’t scripted, that is just hard work, but I hope to automate that one day as well.

My models on 3D Warehouse: Centaur | 3D Warehouse

When I have time I want to learn more about ruby to improve my scripts, and hence my modeling skills.

2 Likes

I beg to differ. Given the description of the extensions you’ve written, you certainly appear to be an advanced SketchUp user - at least in one focused area.

2 Likes

Edson Baker

1 Like

Duff Stewart
iMac with El Capitan OS X
SU 7 Trying to draw a survey lot plan in meters
New to the app
Read thro first help instructions
Don’i plan to do 3D modelling yet
Fav emoji unknown
Am interested in sun of a beach

1 Like

How to draw a lot plan in meters and 2D
Have to go Later

1 Like

I’m a fine woodworker and ready to try using sketchup make 16. My computer crashed, so I am about to purchase all new equipment. I could’nt find out how to post a question, so I will ask it here and hope someone can help.

I will be using a Lenovo laptop thinkpad e560 with an I-5 processor and windows 10 home 64 bit. Which graphics card is my question to run sketchup make 2016: is the Intel HD 620 OK for my purposes? I can get the NV Geforce GTX950M 2GB for more money (that Lenovo package comes with an I-7 processor and 16 GB RAM instead of 8). Would like to save the money, but my techie guy says the Geforce card will create more heat, so the laptop is not likely to last as long. I’d like to get away with the Intel HD 620. I won’t be a heavy sketchup user. Will just be doing a few 3D drawings now and then. Also, as may be apparent already, I am not a techie.

What do you think, and thanks so much. And if you can tell me how to simply post a question (I’m now in the “welcome” screen), that would be great as well.

Bupkins

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

Well I’m back after a long time away, and boy have things changed. My experience goes back to the time when all things were Google, and the transition to Trimple was just starting to happen. So, a little bit of history about my experience.

Started with SketchUp doing Geo 3D modeling for Google Earth and became a Google Certified Geo 3D Modeler. In doing so recognized that models residing in Google Earth, in specific locations would have local business information attached to them, and that models residing on the 3D Warehouse were getting preverential SEO via Googles algorithm. So I started Jax 3D Graphics and Design. Modeling clients businesses, placing them in Google Earth, and uploading the client’s buildings in the 3D Warehouse. Bam! Instant SEO for many clients and great modeling experience for me.

Then I started getting involved with the help forums, and worked my way up to Top Contributor status helping others maximize their web presents. From there got involved in Googles pilot program for Chrome OS and still have my CR-48 Chromebook given to us early beta testers. It’s been great watching how all that has developed.

Google Mapmaker was the next challenge in my adventure with all things Google and specialized in mapping out golf courses all over the world. Leveraging that into a service of benefit for the course owners and managers.

From there I became a Google Trusted Photographer and created the interior tours for local businesses. Then leveraged that into a new business model in creating a new tool utilized by the Fire and Water Restoration industry. A tool still being used today for estimators withing that industry to communicate to insurance companies after a fire or water damaged event.

Now I am working part-time within the wine industry here in Paso Robles, CA and have a new challenge on my plate. So hoping to come up to speed on things that have changed, working in the beta program on my Chromebook, and need to find out what I need to do to upgrade my windows based platform to get back into it.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who?

I am Pascal Suter, i was born and still live in Switzerland, near Zurich

What is your industry and profession?

I work at a computer manufacturer in Switzerland, we are mainly in the High Performance Computing and Server Business, 98% of my work with Linux Systems as both User and Admin

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?

Personally, I love Woodworking and am about to get into CNC as well. So far i have used Sketchup mainly to replace pen and paper when engineering new projects. I then created cutlists (using the CutList plugin) and ordered the panels from a nearby wood shop.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?

After trying some other CAD Software (mainly Linux compatible stuff, as Linux is my main OS both privatly as well as professionally) Sketchup was the one that does what I need. It is very easy and fast to start with a single wood pannel and start building from there. It is almost like sketching something up on paper, only alot easier and faster! I love the way things can evolve and how i can start designing without knowing in advance how I am going to build every joint and detail about my project. Also the price of the Pro version is affordable for private use and now with CNC coming up, i will probably soon upgrade to Pro also to get constraints as i am missing those in the Maker edition. The only Thing that keeps me trying other CAD programs and that keeps me from finally buying Sketchup Pro so far is that it is a hassle to use it under Linux. So far my best User Experience was running it in a Virtual Machine, but that requires quite a fast PC and is now broken with 2017.

How proficient are you in SketchUp?

I’d say intermediate. I have first started using it in 2015 and it has since become my tool of choice to design new projects. I am by now a lot faster drawing something on SketchUP than i am drawing it by hand on a piece of paper.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?

Nope, learning by doing and watching your great tutorials

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.

Linux Workstation with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L v3 @ 2.50GHz, 16 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. On top of that i run VMware Player 12 with Windows 10 and 3D acceleration enabled. In the VM i then run SketchUP Make 2017. So far everything except for highlighting faces works but it is a lot slower than on my wife’s Thinkpad running Win10 natively.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models

No, I’m not that good yet :wink:

Anything else you would like to tell us?

Please add Linux support… I would already be happy if you’d test SketchUp to run decently with Wine but needing a VM to make it work half way is just not something i want to rely on.

What is your favorite Emoji?

:smile:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?

that sounds extremely boring! :wink:

1 Like