Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi, I’m Will, I own a plastic company in Ca., I am/was a growing SU user for my business. It has helped tremendously and then the other day I went to get a project done and just getting rid of that guy on the starting SU field took a very long time—
All other actions are just as bad or Worse!
A 1 minute simple box can now take 15 minutes, I am freaking out!!
I have a SurfacePro and SU-2015 has been a tremendous tool to my business for the last 2 years…flawless, but now…Click…Freeze…Click…Freeze-
I filled out the SU tech support form, that was 4 days ago, and nothing-
Anybody Please Help!

1 Like

Will (aka @plastic1)

Given that you’re on Windows 10, I think it’s likely you’re one of the many victims of a bad Window’s update:

Microsoft has release an emergency update to fix the problem. I suggest you trigger an immediate check on your Windows updates. Settings → All Settings → Update & Security → Windows Update. Once there, click on the “Check for Updates” button.

1 Like

Hi
My name is Jim. I am a retired engineer and have been using SketchUp for many years primarily in woodworking design.

1 Like

Hello from Liverpool UK, good to be part of the forum, I am an Architect who loves designing in Sketchup. I work for myself and have some big projects taking shape…speak soon

1 Like

Hello there -my name is Jon and I am a residential building contractor currently focused on interior remodels. I have another 5-10 years left in the tank and may transition to the design end of residential remodeling with SU.

I use Sketchup pro 2018 on my Mac for both business and personal projects. It is a definite selling tool as well as helping me with project estimating. I like the fact that I can quickly create an accurate and clear drawing for a client, subcontractor or supplier.

I would say I am a beginner to intermediate user - I am a ‘read the instructions only if necessary’ type person so I continue to spend plenty of time going backward and re-learning the best way to accomplish a task in SU.
I have not attended a 3D Basecamp and doubt I will.

My drawings are fairly simple compared to the drawings I see out there; I am constantly amazed at the level of detail which can be had with SU. This is much too addictive and time consuming so I am continually reminding myself not to get too deep on any one project.

Thanks to all who contribute to the forums - I have found so many answers here from some great folks! Better attitudes than many forums I am a part of.

1 Like

Hi I’m Paul,
I’m a remodeling contractor, and also design and draw home plans.
I use SketchUp to draw renderings of the house plans I draw with Autocad.
I started using SketchUp 2 or 3 years ago because the learning curve seemed less steep than with Revit. Once I got started, I really liked the program, so bought a full version, and haven’t looked back.
I’m probably still a beginner, or low level intermediate in sketchup.
No basecamp, no 3d warehouse models. I have a website for drawings,www.vintagehouseplans.com where you can see some of my models for houseplans I’ve sold. It’s still a work in progress, I’ve only done half a dozen models where I used vray to render them.
I built a workstation for drawing. It has an I7 3960, 32 gig of ddr3-2400, intel ssd’s for boot drive, twin Sapphire r9-390 8gig video card, various storage drives,a space pilot pro, a samsung 50" uhd for primary monitor, and 4 28" secondary monitors in 2 stacks of 2.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? No photo at this time.
What is your industry and profession? Sales.
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Both, hopefully.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Ease of use.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner with a CAPITAL B.
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, never heard the phrase before.
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…Dell laptop w/Windows 10 (64-bit).
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? No, I don’t have.
Anything else you would like to tell us? Was able to download, install and draw up a part in under one hour - impressive software.
What is your favorite Emoji? Don’t have one.

Larry

1 Like

Hi there at Sketchup,
I’m an amateur who is sketching his own summer house. I’ve been playing with Sketchup for few years and love it. I live in Reykjavik Iceland, married, have 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren.
Geir

1 Like

Who are you, who, who?
Hi, I’m Thurein , 23 and from Myanmar.

What is your industry and profession?
Graphic Designer

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Personally, just self-studying at home.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
I started to use SKP since version 4 and I love it, it’s so simple and easy but can make greatest things, that’s why.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I don’t know :joy::joy:

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Nope.

What is your current set up?
I’m using SketchUp 2017 on Mac (21.5-inch, Late 2015) , 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 , 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 , Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Not yet.

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I wanna build the 3D Models like famous building , places in Myanmar and I’ll upload it to Google Earth.

What is your favorite Emoji?
:grin::grin::grin:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Sure​:wink::grin:

1 Like

Hello,

my name is Michał. I graduated from Kielce University of Technologywhere I was studying Architecture. I used to work in ArchiCAD before I was introduced to SketchUp and I am using it everyday.

I work as Retail Designer in great polish company.

Thank you for inviting me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )
My name is Ian

A high school teacher

Both personally and professionally(teaching mainly)

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
Helping students model their ideas and unleash their creativity.

Only in it 3 months, probably still beginner.

Not yet

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.550 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
HP Latitude E5440, work unit, running sketchup pro 17

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Yes
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/user.html?id=b92fd01f-4d26-4a60-935b-81b466cfff27&nav=models

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
My students love sketchup, we are excited to support the vision, “3D for everyone”

Laughing to tears

Yup

1 Like

sdmitch
mapping
personally
hobby
beginner
no
Windows SU2014
no

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )
Tony Barry, no pearly whites visible here. Also this pic is about 10 years old. Now I have grey hair and more wrinkles …

Elec. engineer, mainly in medical related fields. Astronomy as a hobby.

Need to learn 3D CAD for 3D printing, been using 2D for ever.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
3D printing.

Beginner.

Not yet

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.550 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
MacBook Pro 2016, SU 2017.

well … my personal website (mainly with code and astro images) is www.tonybarry.net … but no 3D models as yet.

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
I had several goes at other CAD systems, all of which were extremely laxative in their effects. So far Sketchup has managed to avoid the dis-ass-ters of the pass-t. Please excuse the crudities, my threshold of tolerance for non-intuitive software is sadly lower than it needs to be.

Prefer to use words.

No. My racial heritage predisposes me to skin cancer. Prefer long sessions with a telescope at night, watching the everlasting stars.

1 Like

Allen

1 Like

Hi Paul:

I am about your level and learning how to use SU to draw up 3d house models from autocad drawings and want to become a modeling contractor as well once I have fully mastered SU. I know how to draw up the house models manually but would like to use professional autocad drawings to speed up the process.

I’m having difficulty in aligning up the floor drawings (for 2nd and 3rd levels) which supposedly are correct on the original CAD plans - tried rescaling and still not lining up for some reason. Are you using layers to manage your house projects?

Also haven’t found a way to use the CAD roof drawings for the model. I have bought Chuck Vali’s roof plug in which is great, but having difficulty in using it for more complex roof with multiple hip roofs etc.

Do you know of any cheap or free plugins that you use when importing your cad drawings that work well? I am at a point where I am going to forget about importing CAD and continuing drafting up the model manually.

Am currently learning to do the landscaping grading. Have you tried the sandbox tools. I don’t have the topo file so have to created manually.

Appreciate any tips that you have with house modelling.

Cheers, Barb from Canada

1 Like

I am Brett Waller. A sculptor. Worked in the film industry for many years, now retired from that biz. Currently practicing my artwork and restoring a Mid Century Modern House in Florida.

1 Like

IMG_0798.jpeg

1 Like

Hi; I am Paul Logan a semi-retired career electrician with a minor in HVAC. I love SU although the learning curve was pretty steep for me. I didn’t do that well in school and my mechanical aptitude is high, that may have something to do with it. I have been messing with SU for 5 or 6-years. I am still a novice.

1 Like

Hello! My name is Rafael, i would go by my user name: rafeman.
My profession is Interior Design and Architecture and I dabble in woodwork. When not doing any of that stuff, I am a photographer, a writer and storyteller.
I use Sketchup to model buildings, both exterior facades and interiors.
I fell in love with SKP for how intuitive it was compared to AutoCAD.
As to proficiency, I am somewhere between a beginner and an intermediate user, leaning more to beginner.
Have been a beginner for way too long and finally decided to dive into it with both feet. Currently taking a tutorial from Brightman Designs and got a SKU for Dummies in Kindle…now I am here.
Have not gone to SKU 3D Basecamp, not even sure I know what that is, but will check it out!
My set up is all Mac, starting with an iMac 27" w/dual screen, MacBook Pro and iPad Pro w/SKU Viewer.
I have SKU Pro 2016 installed in both desktop and laptop.
I am a long ways from uploading models to 3D Warehouse…but will get there, just wait!!
I am a visual guy; i.e. design, photography; I also do some writing about stories and tell stories now and then too. Published a photo essay book through iBooks, entitled “Miami My Venice” and got a few good reviews.
I also have a photography website: www.lightchaserphotos.com
I guess my personal motto would be: “To Thine Own Self Be True, and it Follows, as Night Follows Day, You Cannot Then Be False to Any Man.” (paraphrased) _William Shakespeare
See you around the Forum…

1 Like

John Innes, Ancient Programmer/software developer, began in 1957 on the IBM 704, retired 12/1991, 2 software patents on concurrent multilingual for multiple users.
I use sketchup for new and repair home projects. In retirement I was a Volunteer Firefighter/Medical First Responder for 20+ years and used Sketchup to outfit a fireboat and position its fire equipment. I have used Sketchup since its very early days. At one time I was fairly proficient, but now at 85 I am on the downhill curve of Sketchup use proficiency. Current project is for renovation and updates of a 2nd house I just bought.
Current system is Windows 10 64-bit.

3 Likes