Weird automatic placed edges on texture

Hi there!

I’m eperiencing some weird issues with textures applied trough SketchUp.

The best way to describe my problem is by looking at my screensshots that I’ve added to this.

I also tried to combine both textures in Gimp and i see no issues there at all ( also attached as screenshot ).

Thanks!

Can you share the image and your SketchUp model so we can take a look at it first hand?

This is my project. I am working on an airport apron for a flight simulator. For this Sim you have to use a tiled plane to reduced the texture size. I hope this helps and feel free to ask more if needed!

If your geometry is tiles, then the edges will show. I must ask … are you putting grid lines in the image itself also?

So you have to work with a “tiled plane” but you don’t want to see the edges between them. Is that right? Have you tried hiding the edges? Or turning off edges in the style?

I created the ‘grid’ by drawing normal lines on the rectangle. I know how to get rid of the lines by softening the edges. Here is a closer look of what my problem is:

Ignore the dead black slim line in the center. The black slight transparent black edges are my problem

This looks like the shading from a softened edge. Try Unsoftening all your edges, as this is not the way to hide lines anyway. Then hide the line the proper way by selecting the line and right clicking>hide, or use the eraser tool with the modifier “shift” pressed.

If you attach your .skp file here you would get a solution much quicker instead of guessing.

1 Like

I’ll ask one more time. Please share the .skp file so we can see exactly what you are working with.

1 Like

Don’t soften, Hide.

And do as Dave says and attach the file so we can all stop guessing.

1 Like

eghi_sketchup.zip (11.9 MB)

hi guys,

here’s the project file!

for me it look like jpeg or compression artifacts, how big are the images and do you use the maximum texture option?

Hi,

I use the maximum texture option. The texture resolution of each texture is 954x1060. They are streched to make them fit in the tile.
I also tried to make them fit without streching them, but I have the same result.

Weird one, I have a patched version, still sussing whats going on exactly, its a function of darkness of the other side of the same tile in the texture. I nudged the images round to fix. Have to run but I’ll look into this more in a bit, or another will come along to figure out whats goin on.

eghi patch.skp (6.2 MB)

Thanks for your help. This seems to be an interesting problem haha

The darkness is an artifact of the importing process, I was not able to get rid of it yet, nor can I explain it yet either. I was able to merge the four images in a graphics editor (the darkened edges are not in the originals as you noted) then paint that larger image as a seamless texture across the four faces. I did notice that the aspect ration of the images and the size of your target surfaces do not match. Wish I had a more definitive answer right now.

ezgif.com-resize (1)

Are you still having those dark edges though? Your way you showed would be a method, but it obviously doesn’t fit the tiles yet…

No, there are no dark edges when I paint a merged texture across multiple surfaces.

Yes, well this is what I was curious about. The images you have do not fit the surfaces you made. In your version you stretched the image in one direction to make it fill the surface, but this makes the dimensions depicted in the satellite image wrong I would think. You could resize the surfaces to fit the texture. If you know the surfaces are the correct size and you stretch the image to fit then you will have to know that measurements taken from objects in the image are wrong.

I’ve tried to build tiles where I don’t need to stretch the texture, but I still have the same result. Another idea I’m having is to stretch the images themselves in Gimp or photoshop to fit the tiles in SketchUp without having to stretch them in SketchUp. What do you think about that?