WebGL error - edu.sketchup.com/app on Chromebook Asus CX5

Teacher has a CX5 on OS 112.0.5615.134 - he can no longer use Sketchup for Edu

Some things I have tried - Cleared cookies and extensions. Deleted his account and added back. Hard reset on device. Updated OS

When opening a file from his drive it gives the message “Sorry, We encountered a problem with your web browser’s WebGL support”.

When trying to open a file from within Sketchup he gets the error “Sorry, it looks like we’re having some internal issues. Our team has been notified”.

I lent him a different chromebook - HP X360 (which is on the same OS) and things work fine. He is able to open files from within Sketchup or from his drive.

I have had another teacher try it (using Asus CX5) as he uses the same site - he is getting the same messages.

Using a different CX5 to troubleshoot and it was on a lower OS (93.0.4577.85) and worked fine - updated to 105.0.5195.134 and it worked as well - updated to 111.05563.18 and it stopped working.

Checked in chrome://flags for WebGL settings - they are the same on both devices.

Tried with my account (admin account) with the same result - works on the X360 but not CX5

Students are using different devices and have not had a problem. Logged a student into a CX5 and same error messages and results.

I’m having the same problems with an Acer Spin 714 Chromebook that was new 2 years ago. It has been a great machine for running SU until a few months ago, around the same Chrome OS updates that you mentioned (around 110 or 111). Seeing other posts about Linux and Intel Iris Xe issues with SketchUp for web, I thought I would wait until Chrome OS 113 variants came out to see if those fixed my issues, but they have not. I think it’s related to the Iris graphics, but I’m not smart enough to dig into the details. For now, SU for web is dead on my chromebook. I also have a 4-yr-old Chromebox running an older version of Iris Xe, and it’s working fine on that one, albeit a bit slower.

I’m thrilled to report that patience paid off. Chrome version 114.0.5735.119 on my Acer Spin 714 has fixed the problem. I am now able to run SU for web again.

Confirmed resolved with the Chrome version 114.0.5735.119 on the Asus CX5400

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.