I’ve been working on a file recently who’s size got really out of control because of the textures. I do want to use high quality textures, but I also want to be able to use my computer without it crashing constantly. Does anyone have a system they use? The best thing I can think of right now is making all of the textures I want a certain colour (wood brown, tile blue, stone grey, etc) and then replacing the textures when I go to render. This is not ideal, because I like to render as I go to see if the design is looking good (I’m an interior designer), but it’s all I can think of right now. Thoughts?
Yes I regularly use large maps. My SU files are sometimes nearly 1GB. It’s usually mostly textures. I’ve rationalised most of them down to 2k but still need some 4K maps. Sounds basic but using .jpg maps rather than png makes a lot of difference.
TBH i don’t notice any real performance impact. The biggest impact are profiles etc.
It’s always good to stay on top of the Purge command from the model info > statistics to get rid of unwanted and unused maps, this can sometimes remove hundreds of Mb from the project file.
I’m on a hackintosh with a 1080Ti card so plenty of VRAM, which obvs makes a huge difference and 64gb of main memory - that’s where I notice the hit. I have to constantly manage the memory and clear it out and was considering going to 128gb.
Vray until v5 doesn’t do out of core memory on gpu renders so if you were GPU rendering you would be limited by the VRAM on the card. This can quickly get eaten up if you have displacement or fur as the geometry is compiled and loaded into video memory at render time and the render job, well, just won’t render.
I built the system around the idea of having one master model file that I can derive all of my drawings and renders from and try to deal with the file size and complexity burden by throwing hardware at the problem. I will probably get slated for that idea but it works for me (ish) at the moment and I can generate my drawings, Vray renders and Twinmotion renders from that master file.
Textures are not a very big resource hog if you have the RAM and VRAM to store them. As they are raster-based features, they are mostly handled by the GPU. “Geometry” (faces, edges) goes through the single CPU thread and takes more to process.
Absolutely! Just trying to prise out the OP’s project profile.
Not sure what that means?
Is there a way to see the size of each texture, rather than having to go individually and check each file reference that’s being used in vray? That’s what I’m currently doing and reducing the image files that are creating extremely heavy textures.
Just seeing whether your issues are due to style settings i.e. profiles, endpoints, shadows etc.
If you have a decent card with plenty of VRAM and plenty of system RAM, texture size « shouldn’t « be an issue
Your profile indicates you have no graphics card. The problems you describe are typically related to the graphics card in the machine. If you haven’t got one, you are sure to have problems. If you do, it needs to be suitable for the job and the drivers need to be up to date.
Sorry did not realize that I had info in my profile… haven’t updated it since I got my new computer. I’ve updated it now and it’s a nvidia 2060 graphics card
I’ve never really had a problem with textures re: performance. I tend to use a ‘Working’ scene with ‘hidden line’ style applied and another ‘Render’ scene with all the materials and entourage on for rendering. I know it’s a bit of a work around. One additional tip is to uncheck ‘camera’ location…that way you can always be instantly switching back and forth where ever you’re working and when you need to see all the materials showing.
Thanks for all of the responses. It turns out the biggest culprit was one particular texture that I’d created and had no idea was about 87M… . There was also a lot of extra materials and layers from components I’d imported directly into my model. Between removing the problematic texture, using the cleanup extension to purge, and using vray proxies for certain large components, my files reduced to about 1/8- 1-12 of the size (average of 400m down to 40m). Feels gooooooooooood.
Glad you figured it out. FYI for future reference if you haven’t seen this extension that helps reduce materials size - https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/77b60f26-2352-407e-8c0c-9862c9716111/material-resizer
Just what I was looking for, thank-you!!!