Very frequent crash (not a bug splat) Pro 21

But did it look like that back in February when you wrote that updating the graphics drivers fixed it?

There’ve been a few Windows updates since February. Possibly you’ve got another bad set of graphics drivers with one of those updates. Try updating the graphics drivers directly from the manufacturer.

It has been happening with my Adobe Photoshop & Sketchup. I just went to update the drivers yesterday at my local HP store. The photoshop seems to be working fine but my Sketchup continuously crashes :confused: I just got this laptop in March

Update the drivers from AMD instead of HP.

You and Nathaniel list AMD Radeon graphics cards and are getting basically the same results. Looks like the same graphics driver problem.

My drivers have all been updated :confused: I’m not sure what else could be the problem… Could it be that Sketchup is not compatible with our computers? I’m sorry I’m new to this :sweat_smile:

You wrote that you updated them from the HP Store. Did you try updating them directly from the AMD site? https://www.amd.com/en/support

Presumably SketchUp has worked for you previously, right? SketchUp 2021 has not changed in more than 6 months. The problem, then, is due to something that has changed on your computer. It did work, now it doesn’t work, what changed? This is fundamental troubleshooting technique. Make sure that the Radeon card is set up to display SketchUp. Go to SketchUp’s Window menu, choose Preferences>OpenGL. Click on Graphics Card Details. What does it show? If updating the graphics drivers from the AMD site didin’t help, try rolling the drivers back to the time when you didn’t have this problem.

Yes, I have updated them directly from the AMD site. I have been using Sketchup on my Mac and there was never an issue besides it being laggy. The computer that I am using now (HP Omen), I bought it in March this year. It has always been this issue from the moment I bought this laptop till now :frowning:

Some computers simply don’t work with sketchup, usually due to the specific graphic card, which is one of the reason why it is part of the user profile.
AMD and built in Intel cards are the ones that usually don’t work.
So if it has never worked, it may never work.

It would have been useful to know that up front.

What model AMD card? It helps if you are specific in your profile.

Did you do what I asked and check to see that the Radeon card is actually being used to display SketchUp?

Is it a notebook computer? Are you running it on mains power or battery?

It’s unfortunate that you chose that computer. It would have been better to get one with an Nvidia graphics card. Historically Nvidia has had much better OpenGL support than AMD Radeon.

Out of curiosity, did you install SketchUp correctly by right clicking on the downloaded installer and selecting Run as administrator?

Questions, questions:
Are you using Windows 10 or 11?
Have you checked in the AMD control panel 3D application settings that SketchUp is set to use the separate graphics card? Is it the RX6600M? Have you installed the driver version that was released a week ago?
What does your Graphics Card Details show (In SketchUp, Window menu>Preferences>OpenGL)?
Is there a difference if you turn on or off Fast Feedback (on the same dialog box) and restart SketchUp?

Your screenshot shows a classic graphics driver failure. Probably it is a driver problem, but it might even be a symptom of a faulty graphics card. The one time that I had a graphics card failure, years ago, it started by looking like this before blacking out altogether.

1 Like

This is what it shows on my SU preferences… I have tried every possible solution but they all don’t seem to work, I’m not sure what else I can do…

In that screen shot there appears to be no graphics issue.

So you’ve confirmed that it isn’t a faulty graphics card? Did you try turning off or on Fast Feedback?

You seem to be ignoring most of the questions we are asking you as we attempt to help you.

Yes, RX6600M. Windows 11. Not sure how to get to the AMD 3D application settings. I updated drivers for both cards in my system last night, (29/5/22). Toggling off and on Fast Feedback makes no difference.

Interestingly, Photoshop sometimes just hangs as shown in screenshot, never able to scroll zoom into individual pixels past a certain resolution depth either.

These are my settings in Sketchup preferences and a screenshot of current PS window.

Thank you.

Both my HP and AMD Drivers have been fully updated. Turning on/off Fast Feedback does not work either. Yes, it is a notebook computer, and the issue still persists on mains and on battery. I did not select Run as administrator.

Well, it won’t hurt to try repairing the installation of SketchUp using Run as administrator.

To view 2022-05-30 16-52-28.mkv, sign in or create an account.

What does this have to do with the issue you’re having?

I just reinstalled SU using Run as administrator but it did not work as well. All my AMD drivers have been updated.

I didn’t ask you to reinstall SU.

I’m sorry. You continue to fight the help we’re trying to give you. I’m going to leave this to someone else. Maybe you should take your computer to someone who can check the integrity of the graphics card as @Anssi suggested.

Does it show a GPU malfuntion?

Not really.