Upgrade gpu = lag and crash

That looks good then. When you installed the card did you get the latest drivers from the nvidia site or use a disc? If you did use a disc the drivers are probably past their best and need updating.

1 Like

No CD Drive so I’ve downloaded the latest driver on Nvidia website

Update the V-Ray, too

Yes but even without Vray, Sketchup is very slow and laggy ¯ _(ツ)_/¯

How did you install SketchUp and V-Ray?

.exe, right click > Open

See this:

1 Like

Btw, you don’t need to uninstall SketchUp. Find the installer, right click and choose “run as administrator”. When prompted choose the “repair” option.

Doing it this way should leave all your toolbars and extensions as they were, so no need for any additional setting up again.

1 Like

I uninstalled Sketchup 2017 then installed the 2018 version and install vray in 3.60.02 but I still have lags and crashes …

You did not have to remove 2017, each version is stand alone. This is where the link is made, Go back to the Nvidia settings>manage 3D settings>program settings.

1 Like

2017 is useless if I have 2018 ^^

“Select a program to customize: Trimble Sketchup”
Ok, after ?

Each is separate they can co-exist with each other. Many of us have several versions installed.
I am currently working on a fresh install and my 1050Ti is out for RMA. I cannot give the exact steps. Scroll down the list, should be something to link the GPU, I forget the exact wordage.

1 Like

I have only one Trimble Sketchup (when I install a newer version I uninstall always old versions) and I have only GTX 1080 (Integrated GPU is disabled, HDMI is from my 1080) so it’s obligated to link with 1080

In NVIDIA® Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, Program settings, I can only change settings like “Anisotropic filtering, CUDA, Ambient Occlusion”

So I have this : http://i54.tinypic.com/if7alx.jpg
And not this : https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/nvidia-manage-3d-application-settings.png
(So I don’t have “Select the preferred graphics processor for this program” option)

You should have an option to set the 1080 under global settings then customize it under the program settings.
EDIT:
The line is " Preferred OpenGL GPU". Use the drop down to select your 1080.

FYI: The license for each version must be removed before uninstalling. (Each version has it’s own license.)
You will not be able to assign the old license to another machine unless it is removed before uninstall.

SketchUp User Guide

You likely need to run the patch script for 2018 …

As far as VRay goes. Do not load it until you need to render.

And additionally, if you Activate the newer license, the older license can not be activated on a new machine. Therefore, make use of the trial period (30days) before activating the new license, you can evaluate the new features etc.

2 Likes

I have problem with performance, not with license and I already made this steps

I’ve reinstalled 2017 with vray 3.4 because vray 3.6 have not the same UI (i’m lost ^^) so I don’t need this patch

And even without Vray, Sketchup is very slow :confused:

Less lags but… Not the same with my old R9 :confused:

SketchUp 2017 has a bug caused by Windows 10 updates. There will not be any more releases for SU2017, so the only solution is to update to SU2018.

Sorry.

I encountered this several times after forced win10 major updates that somehow leave the GPU disabled. Go to control panel > device manager. Look at display adapters. GPU will be missing. Do a “scan for new hardware” and the GPU should reappear and problem should be fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.