Updated to 2016 now nothing but problems on two different pcs!

hard to know where to start sketchup is now all but useless I am using simple models and the instant I try to make a component it crashes or refuses to even create the component or back my work
2015 I had virtually no problems I have already turned off hardware acceleration is turned off.

IO DO NOT accept that I have to constantly search for conflicting programs or extensions wasting more of my time
I have a windows 10 dell with I core 7 at home and a generic i core 5 at work and the problems are virtually identical.
I bought the professional version in good faith and have now wasted hours of work time on a now useless piece of software.
there is obviously something fundamentally wrong with version 2016.

Can someone please respond urgently !!!

Nearly every time this sort of problem has been reported in the past, the problem has been traced to the GPU. Open SketchUp and immediately go to Window>Preferences>OpenGL and disable Hardware Acceleration. Does the crashing stop? If so, you can look into updating the graphics driver.

Your profile indicates your graphics card as “onboard”. That isn’t describing your graphics card, though. Please tell us what GPU is actually in your computer.

GeForce GT 610
NVIDIA System Information report created on: 05/10/2016 13:15:34
System name: WORK-PC1

[Display]
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce GT 610
Driver version: 331.58
Direct3D API version: 11
Direct3D feature level: 11_0
CUDA Cores: 48
Core clock: 810 MHz
Shader clock: 1620 MHz
Memory data rate: 1200 MHz
Memory interface: 64-bit
Memory bandwidth: 9.60 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB DDR3
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 3071 MB
Video BIOS version: 75.19.55.00.02
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2
Device ID: 10DE 104A 84171043
Part Number: 1310 0004

[Components]

nvui.dll 8.17.13.3158 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdsync.exe 8.17.13.3158 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.13.3158 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll 8.17.13.3158 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll 8.17.13.3158 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
NVCPL.DLL 8.17.13.3158 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUIR.dll 7.5.750.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 7.5.750.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll 6.14.13.3158 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll 6.14.13.3158 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.13.3158 NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll 6.14.13.3158 NVIDIA Video Server
nvDispSR.dll 6.14.13.3158 NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.13.3158 NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll 6.14.13.3158 NVIDIA Display Server
PhysX 09.13.0725 NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.13.3158 NVIDIA CUDA 6.0.1 driver
nvGameSR.dll 6.14.13.3158 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 6.14.13.3158 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

this is for my work Pc which ran previous versions of sketchup with ease and much more complicated rendered models

I already stated I have turned off hardware acceleration exactly as you have already described

You have reported the Nvidia information, but do these PCs also have integrated Intel graphics? If so, make sure that SketchUp is using the Nvidia, not the Intel which are known to have serious problems with OpenGL.

1 Like

I actually have a PC using that very same GPU.
It reports almost identically to yours.
I have no issues with it.
However I have the latest Driver version = 365.10
You reported: Driver version = 331.58
So it can be updated…

Thanks for the replies so far.

Tig I cant find anywhere on the NVidia control panel to update the drivers and the link to its web site doesn’t go anywhere useful how did you get the update?

Unforunatlely non of this answers my question to Sketchup themselves as I have a completely different computer at home which is far more powerful with completely different technical specifications.

I have now turned off all extensions removing several tools I relied on for better productivity.
things so far are running better 101 tools and dibac are the only extensions I use which both worked relatively flawlessly before 2016.

Scotch that Tig just found it thanks

Just to check, when you installed 2016, did you also get the latest versions of the extensions you use?

Yes I did on both pcs
With all extensions removed, graphics card upgraded and hardware acceleration turned off I am still barely getting 10 mins of usable time before it crashes or freezes

I can only stress as well that this is a very basic block plan with no rendering or details

Can anyone point me to a reliable source for sketchup 2015 i NEED to get work finished and cannot wait any longer

You can get SU2015 here.

I wonder what it is about your system that is causing SketchUp 2016 to crash. I can work on the same project in SU2016 on my PC for days without closing it and never have a crash.

Crashing is actually good news in this situation. If you tell me what email address or name you put on the crash reports you submitted, I can look them up in the database and perhaps shed some light on the situation.

Thanks Dave that fantastic

this is the first iteration I have had any problems with

I can assure you Marc its most definitey NOT good news for me when planning deadlines are fast approaching

Yes as i stated on the forum i did do that on both pcs

Hi Matt-

I just looked through the past 4-5 hours of crash reports for SketchUp 2016 on Windows, and didn’t see any with a name or email address that looked like you. Did you send in the crash reports? Did you put your name or email address on them?

Generally I advise people not to upgrade any software on their primary work machine when there are deadlines coming up. Microsoft and Apple have both made the mistake of making upgrades seem casual and low-risk, but there’s always the chance of a major issue like this. I’m sorry the SketchUp upgrade is causing problems, we aspire to do better.

I have bug splat at home but not on work pc no idea how to install it as it appeared out of the blue at home ???

Bugsplat is part of SketchUp, so it’s installed automatically with SketchUp. It should appear any time SketchUp crashes.