Unusable with multimon where one monitor is high DPI with scaling

CONFIG:

• Windows 10
  • Surface Book (Intel Core I-7-6600U CPU, 8GB, 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
  • SketchUp 2016
  • second display (2560x1440) running at 100% scaling and set to be main monitor
  • Surface Book screen (3000x2000) running at 200% scaling and set to be secondary monitor

REPRO:

• any tool palettes dragged to secondary monitor (Surface Book running at 200% DPI scaling) are too small to see
  • any tool palettes dragged to secondary monitor can not be reliably dragged to be placed in particular locations
  • drop-down menus on main monitor (running at 100% DPI scaling) do not work: clicking on drop-down does NOT open the menu. Examples include the Layers drop-down in the main toolbar or in the Elements Palette

RESULT:

• SketchUp 2016 is unusable with this hardware configuration. I have tried changing my monitor down to 150% and I still experience the same problems
  • SketchUp 2015 does NOT exhibit the same issues
  • I have had to uninstall SketchUp 2016 so I can actually get work done. :frowning:

Just FYI, the work to make SketchUp HiDPI “friendly” was only just begun in the last cycle, and concentrated on toolbar button images (mostly.) There still many UI/UX features that need work. Such as the inferencing dots, tooltips, etc.

And yes, all the inspector toolpanels (and trays) have not been updated to be High DPI-aware.

Known issue. It must be lower than that (maybe 125%?.) There are some other threads around talking about workarounds.

Because it used the old inspector toolwindow interface. SU2016 has switched to the MS Tray and panel interface.

Dan (Rathbun),

Thanks for responding so quickly. I fully appreciate that high DPI (on
Windows) is a difficult challenge…

I also want to give you a little background on what we’re doing with
SketchUp. I am a 3D designer at Visual Vocal http://visualvocal.com/, a
virtual reality startup in Seattle. We are working in close partnership
with internationally recognized architecture firm NBBJ http://nbbj.com/.
Together we are defining new ways for architects and clients to
communicate, share high-fidelity content, and make decisions about
high-stakes design variations. NBBJ is, not surprisingly, a user of
SketchUp and we’re exploring how to generate 360 stereo photospheres from
SketchUp, for consumption in a wide variety of VR devices.

In any case, I look forward to SketchUp making progress with support for
high-DPI and scaled displays!

I’m happy to communicate with the SketchUp tech team if they need any more
information about the situation I am experiencing.

Be well,

• Dan

Daniel C. Robbins

Interaction Architect

223 Yale Avenue North

Seattle, WA 98109