Unresponsive sketchup file

Hold shift when opening SketchUp from the application folder.
The file might not be recovered., at least you can start new ones…

There is one component Instance (with the component definition name “Group#84”) that hangs up the user interface in all versions of Sketchup, both desktop and web versions. Using the C API I’ve deleted that one component from the attached file. If I have a little spare time I might dig into that component to discover the root of the problem.

Perhaps after looking at this file you’ll be able to tell us what has been deleted.

Oros (SU 2021) Cleared.skp (12.6 MB)

1 Like

Thank you! That worked.

That was the group I was working on last. everything was working fine until I pulled the transom window up another foot and started drawing new muntins to fit the new window size. When I start erasing and drawing new lines is when it happens. As I am drawing the new lines that cross each other it keeps trying to create new surfaces. It seems to have something to do with the cut opening setting of the component. If you start messing with the other window groups in this model it will most likely stop responding again. I hope that helps in trouble shooting it. I would love to know exactly what I am doing wrong here. Thank you for taking the time.

Can you share the windo component by itself?

I can’t share the one that started this because I can’t get into the original file. Here is a window that was drawn the same way.
window component.skp (8.1 MB)

And the solution was to:

• Drag a copy of the component#44 (the door with the 35 light transom window) into the model.
  • Open the component to edit
  • Select all
  • Intersect Faces With Selection

Oros (SU 2017) Repaired.skp (15.3 MB)

That doesn’t seem to do much for me. I tried this with another window(component#10) and it still ends up going unresponsive after trying to add and erase lines on it. If you unhide all after intersecting faces it reveals a bunch of extra lines all over the place. If you unhide on the door(component#44) it reveals similar lines, although that component hasn’t made my sketchup go unresponsive yet.

I found a way to make this work. No need to intersect faces.

1. open component window
  2. select component
  3. click edit
  4. under Alignment change “Glue to:” from any to none
  5. unselect “cut opening” box
  6. Edit component
  7. change “glue to:” back to any
  8. Reselect “cut opening”

The cut opening feature can’t be used while editing a component. I’m surprised I didn’t try this earlier. I hope this thread helps some people. I wasted a lot of time messing with this.

Hmm….

While playing around with the model version that @sWilliams shared, I noticed several reversed faces in your windows that were masked by materials painted onto their back sides. I wonder if they somehow trigger a bug in the creation of the cut opening? It’s not proof, but that fits with your discovery that turning off cuts opening while editing a component avoids the freeze.

In any case, it is best practice to create the model initially with monochrome mode turned on and to fix reversed faces before applying materials. Reversed faces interfere with objects being solid, as the face orientation is what apps use to distinguish between the interior and exterior of a solid. Reversed faces are also ignored by most renderers, so painting a material on them is a waste of time.

Another suggestion is to turn off length snapping. It doesn’t fix small modeling errors or numeric imprecision, it causes them to infect the other end of an edge too, leading to an infestation of tiny misplaced vertices that can trigger all sorts mysterious glitches.

2 Likes

The faces representing the window panes are half-on/half-off the the cutting plane of the component (see image below). This is causing headaches for the algorithm that is trying to cut an opening in the wall that the component is glued to. You noticed this out of plane-ness when the result of intersecting the faces with themselves was a bunch of extra/hidden lines.

Inserting a copy of the component on the X-Y plane and running Julia’s Eneroth Flatten To Plane extension will fix this this issue. Leaving the question; How were the edges created out of plane in the first place?

Also I’ve attached the RBZ file for an extension I call SW_Altitude that I use while ‘debugging’ this sort of problem with imported DWG files. Activate the extension by clicking on the toolbar icon. When the mouse is hovered over a vertex a small window will popup showing the X,Y,Z position of the vertex.
sw_Altitude.rbz (4.4 KB)

434x357

2 Likes