Unresponsive sketchup file

I have a file here that I was working on today and it became unresponsive while editing a component. The component was a 2d window that a had made a cut component. The first couple of times this happened I force quit and got a little further with it until the entire file wouldn’t open at all. I’ve had issues with cut components in the past but none so bad that I can’t open the file at all. Im on a 2022 Mac studio running ventura 13.01 with a M1 max chip. Does anyone know what I can do to get my file open again or at least how to avoid this from happening again? I’ve wasted a lot of time dealing with this already.

Thanks,

Richardson WH.skp (2.0 MB)

I’m heading to bed, but I set my Mac trying to open your file. Don’t know what is special about the file that makes it take this long, but it’s worth trying overnight.

Well, it’s not an M1 issue, as that file is taking a long time to open on my Intel MBP also.

I tried letting it run overnight and it hadn’t opened for me this morning.

I tried a spin dump. It appears to be stuck trying to find the perimeter of some face (though coming to that conclusion stretches the limitations of my knowledge and might be wrong). My suspicion is that the model somehow has created an endless loop in the data that SketchUp falls into and can’t get out. This is definitely a question for the developers @colin can you pass it along to them?

Thanks for the suggestion. I also failed to open the file overnight, and already did ask developers to look at it. It’s still not 8am, they may not be checking messages yet.

A developer was able to delete a corrupt face from the file, and then it would open. The file does seem smaller, he may have purged unused items as well. Here’s the file he made.

Richardson WH-2.skp (631.1 KB)

Thats great to get my file back. Did they have any suggestions on avoiding this from happening again? this isn’t the first model I’ve had this issue with. It’s just the first one to completely not reopen after force quitting. This happens when i’m changing cut components, usually just a 2d window like you see in my model. Drawing mullions on them triggers it.

I don’t know what face the developer deleted, but I notice a lot of reversed faces on your house (blue back side color showing if you change to monochrome) in random places. Perhaps that somehow contributes when using cut-opening components (just a guess…)?

Would be nice if a given set of steps always caused the problem. From your file the developer couldn’t really guess what had led to the problem.