Unhide All - HELP

Hello everyone, I’m new here and wondering if someone can help. I’m modeling a house in '18 Sketch Up Pro, and I went through each group and hid them, but after I hid the final group, and saved-I have been unable to uhhide all!!! Everything is gone.

I tried restarting the program, I tried a Unhide extension, I tried looking for answers online-nothing is working.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

try going back into (edit) each group and unhide. The hidden geometry is group specific.

An additional approach to try is opening up the Outliner Panel and looking for the “grayed” groups and components, and unhiding. Importantly, first make sure all your Layers are “visible”. Good luck, and let us know how your efforts progress.

1 Like

First, thank you for your quick response!
I tried that, and none are grayed out.
All layers are visible too. I’m stumped.

Thanks again & Happy New Year!

:grin:

Did you edit the groups and hide the raw geometry? Un hide only works within context, so you need to open the groups to unhide the geometry.
First thing, go View and tick hidden geometry. The hidden groups should appear as meshes. If not you have another problem.

1 Like

Sharing the model file would help us help you.
Which plugin did you use?

See this topic:

I tried all of your advice. nothing is working!!! So frustrating.

Thanks for your help!

Best.

Here is the file, please help if you can (I know the name is silly)!

Thank you in advance!

Birthday Cake Treehouse.skp

‘Zoom Extents’ and it’s all there…

you may have some stay ‘orphaned’ text that’s breaking the view…

@slbaumgartner is our resident text finder…

john

I also found Zoom Extents revealed the model. I purged unused and reduced the file size rather dramatically from 105 MB to 36.2 MB.
Screenshot%20-%2012_29_2018%20%2C%2012_51_21%20PM

FWIW, your model has a lot of reversed faces (all of the blue ones) which should be fixed.

And I don’t know about you but I’d appreciate a little privacy when using the restroom. :smiley:

2 Likes

and your Layers are aren’t working correctly…

john

Holy hell! You guys are my heros!!! Thank you so much! Why was it hidden? what is zoom extents used for? You saved the day-I’m just learning Sketch Up and have put so much work in to this.

You kick-ass!!!

Thank you , thank you , thank you!!!

I hope your new year is amazing!!!

= )

Sorry, when John pinged me earlier I was not at my computer. I didn’t find any stray text in the model, so that wasn’t the issue. Zoom-extents also worked for me, which suggests that you had just done something that caused the view’s camera to go awol. Possibly a group you hid or deleted was far away from the main structure? Zoom-extents tells SketchUp to adjust the camera position so that the non-hidden part of the model is centered and fills the view window.

Aside from the things the other guys noted, I see a lot of flaws in the model that show you need to study and practice SketchUp fundamentals. There are peculiarities in the model that suggest you have been using a rather hodge-podge workflow while building the model. Here are some examples that I hope you will take as constructive criticism and not become frustrated:

• Even after purge, there are over 500000 edges and almost 125000 faces in the model. That is “heavy” enough that it is quite unwieldy on my computer, slow to draw. About 1/3 of those edges and face are in the first floor deck and about another 1/4 in the kitchen. Often such large numbers of edges and faces come from over-detailed components loaded from the 3D Warehouse. An example in your model is the skp3E85 component, whose nested group contains over 42000 edges and 19000 faces. Most of this comes from the interior structure of shelves and runners, which are concealed inside the object. If they will never be visible, they are unneeded detail you should get rid of! Motto: always download 3D Warehouse models into a separate file and examine them for suitable level of detail, possibly editing to simplify them before importing them into your model. The 3D Warehouse contains a vast number of models that are over-detailed unless you are focusing in closely on just the details of that single object. Also, although it won’t necessarily improve on-screen responsiveness, you can greatly reduce the file size of your model if you use components or groups for all repeated objects.

• Your Level 2 board component contains a nested group that provides only 5 sides of the board, and then there is a “loose” (i.e. separate from the group) face that fills in the sixth side. This organization has two issues: 1) the loose face ought to be in the group along with the rest of the edges and faces of the board, and 2) once you fix #1 by putting all the edges and faces in the same context, the nested group is not needed; all the edges and faces can go directly in the level 2 board component. You can fix both of these issues by just exploding the nested group.

• Where you trimmed boards for the stairway opening, it appears that you left the longer resulting part as “loose” edges and faces instead of creating a new component for the trimmed ones that are the same. All those loose edges and faces will bloat the file size compared to if you used components. The ones that are notched around the opening would have to be separate, but they should still be components not loose edges and faces.

• On the other side of the stairway openings, you used copies of a group for the short floorboard pieces. That won’t contribute to increased file size the way that loose edges and faces do, but if you ever need to alter the opening width, you will have to edit all 72 of them one-by-one! If they were instances of a component, you could edit just once and have all the others follow along automatically.

• The First Floor Deck component is a strange assembly. About half of the boards are in the nested Base Deck component, but the other half are loose. Why? What does the Base Deck component do for you that you need on one side but don’t need on the other side of the flooring?

• Among the floor boards, about half are instances of the level 2 board component, but others are just loose edges and faces. Even if those boards made from loose stuff are shorter than the level 2 board, they are all the same as each other and should be instances of a component.

• In the framing underneath the deck, there are a large number of “rafters” with blocking between them. Except near the edges of a deck, the rafters are 16" on center, with 14 inch spacing between them. 1486 of the blockings are copies of a single group, but others are unique. And again, use of groups rather than components is a problem here because none of the blockings I checked were exactly 14" long and one end or the other overlaps into the adjacent rafter! You would have to edit every one of them individually to fix the small errors whereas you could have edited just once and fixed them all if you had used a component.

• Collections of blocking boards are sometimes gathered inside another level of group, but I found a strange mixture in these nests of copies of one blocking group and individual unique groups for other blockings.

3 Likes

Hey Steve, Yes, thank you so very much for the constructive criticism. I really have a long way to go, but everytime I model something, I am learning a tn. It’s really nice to have such a supportive community too!

Thanks for everything, have a happy new year!

Cheers!