Trying to make components out of non-overlapping parts

front (1).skp (3.2 MB)
I have a model I want to split in multiple sections. The model is very complex, not exactly sure how many vertices, but I already have one of the sections pulled out of the model, and turned into a component. I have another component of the full thing without the section removed and I wanted to know if there was a way to remove the contents of the component of the section from the main component. To put it in a sort of visual representation, I have a component of A and a component of AB. I want to make a component B without having to manually erase all of component A in component AB. Is there a way to do that?

Also for more information, I am using SketchUp web

I have my skp file if this didn’t make much sense

That drawing has just two separate components called A1 and Component#1. So there is no component A and component AB.

In essence, if you have a component inside another and want to make the loose geometry within the high level component into a component, that’s easy. All you have to do is to open the high level component, select all, deselect the low level component and then make what remains into a new, third component. You will then end up with one high level component containing two lower level ones. If that’s what you meant.

Sorry, I didn’t name the components according to what I described. Essentially I’ve edited the component #1 slightly to start working on it, and component A1 is a small section of what’s in component #1. I was wondering if there is a way to have the contents of A1 Essentially subtracted from component #1

I attatched a rough visual representation to give a better idea

If you want to keep the original you can make a unique copy then just separate the parts. I have moved them apart just to show you they are separate.

Split

If I was doing a simpler model, I would definitely use that method but I have hundreds of vertices I would have to select for that to work, which is why I’m trying to see if there is a quicker way to do it by essentially subtracting one smaller portion from the larger portion to leave a different smaller portion. So almost like if I had just one of those smaller portions you separated, and the full one. Is there a way to quickly subtract like that?

No not really, unless everything is solid.
But having looked at the car model you posted earlier your only real option is to carefully select the parts you want. Using the Soften smooth dialog would help make larger surfaces to select.

Gotcha. I didn’t even think about the soften tool to help select. Thanks for the tip

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.