Trouble projecting a texture onto terrain

Hi everyone. I am trying to project a 2D map onto a 3D terrain model for the first time.

I have created a base plane with the 2D map - it’s a JPG, imported as a texture, and when I right-click the map ‘projected’ is ticked.

I have successfully created a blank terrain above it from contours I drew.

When I select the map with the eyedropper and attempt to paint the terrain, I get a horribly fragmented mishmash of colours that have clearly come from the map, but which is garbled and torn and unrecognisable.

I have researched the topic and it seems I’m doing everything right, yet the result is clearly wrong. Can you help?!

How about sharing the SKP file?

My first guess is you are trying to paint a group or component.
Open for edit and paint the face directly.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I have no idea how to share an skp file - I prepared some images to add to the post but I don’t see any way to attach anything?!

Block1.skp (2.4 MB)

Aah, found it, it looked like it was greyed out and unavailable but it isn’t.

As I said above, open the group for editing, either double click with the select tool or right click and select open for editing, then paint the surface.
Proj

1 Like

Sorry it took so long to get back to you - and yes, Box, of course you were right and that is exactly what it was! Frustratingly, none of the tutorials I read mentioned anything about the terrain being in a 'group that needed opening.

Thank you so much! :blush:

Hi guys, sorry for bumping, but I ran exactly into the same issue but instead of a group it is a component. And when I try to apply the texture after ‘edit component’ it applies it to individual faces instead of the entire mesh.

Any solution to this?