Triangles missing in a mesh after importing it as a Collada file into SketchUp

I have a textured mesh with approximately 2 million triangles in Rhino. To import it to Trimble Connect, I followed these steps:

1. Export from Rhino: I exported the mesh as a Collada (.dae) file from Rhino.
  2. Conversion in SketchUp: I imported the Collada file into SketchUp and saved it as an SKP file.

After importing the SKP file into SketchUp, I noticed that the mesh had missing triangles (see picture). These missing triangles were also present when the file was imported into Trimble Connect.

The export from Rhino to the Collada file was not the issue, as the Collada file imported into Autodesk 3ds Max without any missing triangles. (see picture)

I conducted a trial with a much smaller mesh, which was imported successfully into SketchUp without any missing triangles.

Do you have any suggestions on how to import the entire textured mesh into SketchUp without missing triangles or import the textured mesh into Trimble Connect?

Thank you!

Set the scale to meters.

// edit

I saw that you have the option to set the scale for OBJ file. For DAE, you could resize before exporting.

Or try Skimp, Transmutr or Universal Importer

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I installed a trial version of Skimp. Importing the mesh as an OBJ file resulted in even more missing triangles. Importing it as a Collada file (.dae) resulted in losing a significant part of the mesh.

The mesh is a terrain that I divided and textured using orthophotos. Is it possible to import the entire mesh without the texture and then apply the texturing in SketchUp?

Have you tried the Reducemesh command in Rhino?
Why use Collada? Have you tried to export directly to SKP in Rhino?

1 Like

First try the method proposed by Anssi.

Yes, it is possible, import the texture and set it as Projected, then apply it over the mesh. But you should be able to directly import the textured mesh.

Regarding the missing triangles, you could fill them using either Line or an extension, and then apply the texture to the new faces that were created.

1 Like

I tried the following:

1. Exporting the model directly as SKP from Rhino resulted in failure in the texturing and in missing triangles.
  2. Importing the model in different formats (DXF, PLY, OBJ, 3DS): all formats either missing triangles or texture.
  3. I tried to import the images as texture but failed, as I couldn’t set the base point. I was only able to add them as pictures and couldn’t set them as projected textures to the full mesh (e.g., PLY or DXF).
  4. I want to preserve the geometry of the terrain, so I cannot reduce the mesh.

What could be the reason for not being able to set the base point of the images when imported as textures? Is it possible to project them if imported as images, and would the resolution of the images be preserved in this process?

Do you know the basics of SketchUp? Campus - learn.sketchup.com
Do you know how to set a texture as ‘Projected’?
Do you know how to apply that texture on an irregular surface?

What errors do you get?

I am a beginner - thank you for the link. I watched the videos you posted before on how to apply texturing from orthophotos to a terrain. As mentioned before, I got a red sign when trying to set the base point of an orthophoto after importing it as a texture (both as PNG and JPG). Then I imported the orthofotos as images and couldn’t set them as projected to apply the texturing. Is it possible to apply the texturing as projected from images not imported as textures?

Learn the basics of SketchUp first, only then move on to such projects.

Applying a texture to a terrain

2 Likes

Is the terrain importing to the right scale? Missing faces typically are the result of trying to import using a too small import unit.

I tried to texture the mesh or a part of it using the instructions in the YouTube video and your other videos, but I failed. The problem was solved by using the universal importer. I imported the Collada file and saved it as an SKP, which preserved the full mesh and the texturing. Thank you all!

Universal Importer download-link: https://sketchucation.com/plugin/2275-universal_importer

1 Like