Toolbars keep shifting in Windows

Hello All,

Does anyone know why, despite every effort to save templates and such, my toolbars on windows keep shifting? Whenever I open SketchUp my toolbars are in different places. Eventually they’ll find their place but it’s so annoying to place them intentionally and then after a few times of opening a file they’ve moved again.

If you have any advice I’ll take it. Thanks,

T.

One of the most common reasons for this is an incorrect installation method, that in truth is badly documented.
Installation should be done by right click on the install.exe and run as administrator rather than a simple double click.
Try this method and choose repair when the option is presented.

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Update on this. I re-installed it correctly and things are still shifting. Certain toolbars are exactly in the same place, but others have moved over or otherwise around the window.

Change the toolbar and make a save and exit SketchUp (Quit)
(Watch the time)
Check the timestamp of the json files:
On Win:
PrivatePreferences.json is saved to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp

SharedPreferences.json is saved to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp

Maybe it has to do with write permission for these locations and a very strict antivirus software setting , preventing write actions.

That’s entirely possible. Our network governs everything at work and usually I have to ask IT to lower it whenever we have to install something. It’s possible something is getting messed up on SketchUp’s end. I’ll check on this and get back to you.