Toolbars and setup when updating

There is no continuity when updating Sketchup to the latest version, requiring user time to setup the workspace preferences, toolbars and extensions. Is there any way to make this less tedious?

If you have used Sketchucation for some of your extensions you can use their Plugin to reinstall what was downloaded from that site. Other wise it is best to download from the warehouse and install fresh. Also you can import some of your settings from a previous version from the tab Windows>Preferences >Files

@DaveR had a suggestion I liked a few versions back. Take a screenshot (or if you use multiple screens, of each screen) of your toolbar locations and contents, and refer to it when moving to a new version of SU.

And as @RLGL says, note what extensions you have, and still use, and/or use the SketchUcation and Extension Warehouse facilities to re-download the ones you have from them.

Or again, as I usually do, see what extensions I actually remember using frequently, and install them. Then as you use the new version, see what ones you miss, and get them the first time you need them again.

You could screenshot the Extension Manager or of the Plugins directory listing, as a reminder of what you now have. Don’t reinstall the ones you haven’t used for ages.

At least recent versions remember and carry over shortcuts you have set up. Of course, some may now refer to extensions you haven’t reinstalled, but the shortcut will still try to launch them.

I find it is actually a good opportunity to clean up a cluttered installation, and omit things I no longer find a regular use for.

And the Extension Manager, or the SketchUcation extension itself, allow you to disable any installed plugins or extensions you don’t need active all the time.

1 Like

I used the same method this time that I’ve used for years. A screen shot of my 2019 screen for toolbar placement and custom toolbars imported into SU2020 makes that pretty quick and easy.

Before that I installed the Sketchucation tool in 2020 and used it to import my bundle from 2019 to get fresh copies of extensions from SCF. The Extension Warehouse used to have a tool for doing the same with extensions installed from there. Hopefully that feature will be reinstated soon for the new EW.

Between occasional changes to the Ruby code requiring authors to update their extensions and many users failing to keep the extensions they have up to date, it’s not wise to copy them from an older version unless you enjoy chasing down loading errors. Some extensions have installers that need to run because they put files in other locations so just copying the Plugins folder won’t work for them anyway.

Keyboard shortcuts come over automatically.

I keep my local collection of components, custom materials, and styles in the User/…/SketchUp file and copy them from one version to the next. By default SketchUp is going to be looking there for these files.
Screenshot - 1_29_2020 , 5_34_54 PM

As an alternative, you could just go into SketchUp’s Preferences and change the file locations to wherever you keep those things. I just prefer the way I do it.

I think it would be nice if toolbars could be set up automatically but all in all, I don’t find it to be an especially onerous task. It fives me a chance to do some housecleaning and thing about how much I really need certain toolbars displayed.

The method of migrating smoothy between versions of Sketchup varies for each aspect that you want to update. I can explain some of the ways I do this in a Mac environment. Your results may vary:

Shortcuts: Import automatically, yay!

Extensions: The sketchucation site has been mentioned. There is no batch install from the warehouse. It is tedious but really is best to re download your extensions for the newer version. FYI, almost all current Extensions I use come with a warning about not being compatible with the 2020 version, it’s a stock warning as the 2020 is so new, so far all extensions I have updated seem to be working perfectly. Taking a screen shot of the old extensions is indeed a helpful tip, I set up the screen shot on a separate monitor and just go down the list installing extensions, takes about an hour.

Toolbar setup: We have limited options on the Mac for custom toolbars, and thus far I have not found any reliable way of migrating toolbar setup. I have to recustomize in the new version. I do this by having both versions open so I can see how the old one was set up.

Materials: For materials I do have a way to migrate. I keep all my materials in a separate folder that I link to each new version of Sketchup. When I open 2020 I simply go to Preferences>files>materials and use the icon with the pencil to link that version of sketchup to my materials collection (which is a folder of many other folders which all have materials in them, it must be 3 layers deep like this). Sketchup will load your custom materials on the next startup. If you havn’t already made a custom folder you can navigate to the materials folder from your last version and make a duplicate of that folder, rename it and save it somewhere.

Styles: This works similarly to materials. Make a custom folder somewhere, or just copy over the one from last year and overwrite the 2020 styles folder. One caveat, on Mac at least my custom style folders did not immediately show up even after relaunch. I need to use the option in the styles window to open an existing collection, once for each folder I wanted to import. Once present in the list each collection of styles does persist on relaunch.

Components: Same as styes, relink to a custom folder from within sketchup 2020 or replace the standard components folder for 2020 with your old one. Either way, again, you must use the “open local collection” option from within the component window to open for the first time, after that a collection continues to show up in the component browser menu.

Interesting, I do as well, but I have not been able to migrate components this way. The transferred components do not show up in my components window in the next version, I assumed because they were created in a previous version. This works for you?

Are you copying the folders from the older version’s locations to the new ones? On both Windows and Mac these are normally hidden locations . On Mac: ~User/Library/Application Support/SketchUp/…

On Windows, all I have to do is copy the folders I show highlighted over to replace the ones the new version creates. When I open SketchUp the next time, those files are automatically available.

Thanks! Very good suggestions.

I should have dug a bit deeper. It appears mac has the same situation with components as with Styles. After transferring the folder (or just relinking to my custom folder in my case) the collections do not show up in the component browser even after restart. I must use the “open local collection” option from within the component window to open for the first time, after that a collection continues to show up in the component browser menu.

Cheers.

Interesting.