Updating to New Version of SketchUp - Extensions and plugins all gone

Just curious, is there anyway to retain my extensions and plugins when I update to a new version of SketchUp? I feel like I’m constantly having to reinstall all my extensions / plugins from scratch every time I update to a new version of SketchUp.

Its especially tedious because I don’t know which extensions/plugins I have off the top of my head, but in order to find them I have to Log out of the new version of SketchUp because my subscription only allows me to be in one at a time. Then log in to the old one. Screenshot the list of names in my extension folder, etc. Even more tedious is the process of re-adding all the great tools in the Fredo suite.

There’s got to be a shortcut for this, right?

1 Like

The extensions aren’t gone. Each version of SketchUp installs as a separate program. If you didn’t uninstall the previous version it will still be available. Best practice is to install the extensions fresh from their source to ensure you have the latest versions that are up to date for the SketchUp version. If you want to live on the edge, go ahead and copy them from the previous version and paste them into the Plugins folder for the new SU install. But then be prepared to chase load errors and fix the problem files. Some extensions also need to go through a proper installation process. You’re on your own to sort out the loading errors, of course.

If you were using the Sketchucation Extension Store tool to install extensions from Sketchucation you could use it to install your bundle from there. That should get you Fredo6’s extensions.

2 Likes

@tysongersh i agree this is annoying and there should at least be an extension for taking a snapshot of your old versions’ extensions and UI. If Sketchup could at least just port your old UI plus shortcuts that would be awesome. You can’t expect them to auto-update extensions but yeah, UI and shortcuts should be a no-brainer with some exceptions like where tools were changed or features added/subtracted.

My workaround is taking screenshots and saving them in EverNote. I screenshot the UI, extension manager window and SketchUcation extension manager.

I also just noticed the Shortcuts window as an option to import and export shortcuts so I’m adding that to my BKM.

That said, Sketchup please make updates and pull UI config files to new versions.

Does anyone know of an extension that can do this? Or can someone make one?

SketchUp shortcuts do transfer between versions.

Thanks for the original post
i agree with you - its horrible! takes a day to track down all the old ones and look for replacements for those that are not compatible. Im surprised that more people don’t comment and request a remedy for it. :woozy_face:

What do you suggest? You would probably like if only extensions authorized and distributed by SketchUp were allowed to run.

If it takes you a day to do that there must be something wrong with the way you are going about it.

Hi Dave! long time no talk!
can you elaborate? :smiley: :woozy_face:
now i go to extensions manager in the last version
go through the list and in the new version go hunting in the extension warehouse. old plugins quite often might not exist so quite often, i might need to trawl through new ones. new learning curve for each one.

What is a better way?

Sketchucation. Install through sketchucation, using the sketchucation app.
it’ll create a “bundle” with all your extensions.
when 23 is released, I’ll install 22’s bundle on 23.

then, I’ll take 5 min to check it’s all there.

1 Like

I suspect that the devs are wrestling with a “half a loaf” dilemma. It would certainly be possible to handle this for extensions from the EW, and that would suffice if you use only extensions from the EW. sketchUcation already has a system that remembers your downloads and can restore them all in one go. But it is not automatically invoked when you install SketchUp because it is not from Trimble and so does not come pre-installed.

And there are numerous other excellent sources that are not under Trimble’s control. Some of them are proprietary and have features such as custom management of licenses. A system that covered only the EW would leave these sites out. And a system that covered all the other sites would require either a huge amount of ad-hoc site-specific code or for Trimble to develop a universal solution and then persuade others to implement it in their extensions and sites. A lot of work in any case.

3 Likes

Truth be told, if you know what you are doing a full setup of a new version including extensions, templates and custom toolbars should take less than 20 minutes. A few external extensions like Twilight or other renders or 3d connexions drivers and such a few minutes more. Even the warehouse gives you a list of your extensions. Unfortunately they somehow removed the auto install several versions back, hopefully it will be reinstated at some point.
It’s annoying, but better than having the update overwrite everything.

4 Likes

how does it only take you 20 minutes? i feel silly at the time its taking me :sweat_smile: :upside_down_face: :woozy_face:

Ignoring the far superior Bundles option available with the sketchucation tool, even opening the E Warehouse from within Sketchup and then selecting My Downloads gives you a list of your extensions and the option to install them.

1 Like

lightbulb!!! brilliant thanks so much. that helped alot.

:heart_eyes:

Hope I’ve pushed you in the right direction, late for me and far far too much whiskey to even spell whisky correctly.

I never relied on the auto install. When I download an .rbz destined for installation in SketchUp, I store them in a folder titled “SketchUp RBZs for Install”. If an extension is updated, I move the old .rbz to a subfolder of that folder (“Earlier Versions”). I’ve got ANOTHER subfolder - “No Longer Used” - where I’ve got all the .rbzs for extensions I’ve tried, but no longer use.

With this “SketchUp RBZs for Install” folder, I now have a folder FULL of all my extensions (save for the ones from SketchUcation) that I can use when the next major version of SketchUp Pro is available - without having to find and download them again. With the combination of SketchUcation bundles and this folder, I can quickly install ALL my extensions - in their most current version.

20 minutes is QUITE optimistic! The extension installation alone - even with my “streamlined” method, usually takes that long for me and my mix of extensions.

It’s getting my custom toolbars setup that, for me, make a TOTAL of 20 minutes seemingly impossibly fast. AFTER I take nearly 20 minutes to install extensions, I open both the prior and new (just installed) versions, then set up the new versions toolbars to match what I’m used to. This step takes me at least another 15 minutes.

no Idea how long it takes me to migrate to a new version, between the extensions, the default model and style…
Less than an hour for sure.

and when you think of it, less than an hour for a 100% clean install once a year (or so) isn’t such a hard price to pay; It leaves us 8759 hours to work :wink:

1 Like

Just in case some have not found it yet, here is a trick:

1 - Open the Extension Warehouse.

2 - Click on your profile icon.

3 - Select My Downloads. It takes a few second and then all the downloaded extensions appears.

Now the trick

4 - Select all that is shown as you would do in a word processor or a Web page.

5 - Copy the selection (CTRL-C on Windows or Command-C on Mac)

5 - Start a word processor.

6 - Paste (CTRL-V or Command-V). You get a list that you can save and/or print.

3 Likes

I tried that, and it worked well. Don’t even need a fancy word processor, TextEdit worked.

The pasted text includes links that will open up the right page in Extension Warehouse.

You do know that you can click each one in the list and install it.