Toolbar disappeared on 4k monitor

I have a new laptop with a 4k monitor. I just installed a second 4k monitor via the HDMI port. It works fine for basic operations (email, Word, internet). When I opened SU and tried dragging the toolbar into the second monitor… the toolbar disappeared. Nothing I do is able to bring it back. Has anyone had that happen? If so, how do I fix it?

Try the following:

Click on View > Toolbars

The dialog box that that appears will show a checkbox for every authorized toolbar. Confirm whether the tools you want are checked or not. Check those you want to see.

The toolbar is correctly checked. I can also create a new custom toolbar. I just cannot retrieve the original toolbar.

Steve Vasilion
Vasilion Architects, Inc.

28 S Water Street, Suite 303

Batavia, IL 60510

Go Window/Preferences/Workspace Reset Workspace.

That recovered the toolbar perfectly. Thank you. Now I have to figure out what made it disappear in the first place.

Steve Vasilion, AIA

Is SketchUp using your Quadro card or the Intel graphics chip. (Preferences>OpenGL)
If not, you should go to the Nvidia control panel and make sure Sketchup is set to use the Nvidia. Automatic selection favours the Intel that doesn’t support OpenGL well.

These details show my antique QuadroFX card…

Thank you. These settings were already in place. I think it has something to do with SU not playing nicely with multiple 4k monitors.

Steve Vasilion, AIA

28 S Water Street

Suite 303

Batavia, IL 60510

www.vasilion.com

Office: 630.406.8880

Cell: 630.440.5790

Just a blind guess: Have you an option to connect the monitor through DisplayPort instead of HDMI? I have met laptop/monitor combos where, for instance, the 4K monitor didn’t support its full resolution through HDMI but only through DisplayPort. HP hardware.

I spent literally three hours with Dell tech support trying to find a configuration that worked. Even though I have a brand new Dell Precision 7720 laptop, it is unable to handle two 4k monitors at the same time through the docking station. If I use the HDMI port directly into the laptop, it allows the two 4k monitors. But then I still have the problem with the toolbar disappearing. BTW, this is also happening in Revit. Obviously, Dell couldn’t help with those applications. Revit tech support sent me some info, and I’m about to read it and see if it helps.

Steve Vasilion, AIA

28 S Water Street

Suite 303

Batavia, IL 60510

www.vasilion.com

How does Nvidia control panel knows

that Trimble has bought SketchUp?

I often see Google SketchUp in the NVIDIA, usually it is because of an installation of an old version, off course, and adding the Trimble versions (2013->) won’t change it!

I have encountered problems like this too. You will probably need a newer model docking station.

My rather old Nvidia Quadro driver under Windows 7 doesn’t seem to know but my Win 10 laptop with a GeForce card does. I have never seen Google persisting in computers that only have had post-Google versions of SU installed, but my old desktop still has version 7 although I haven’t opened it for years.

1 Like

Hi Anssi,

Are you certain a new docking station will fix the condition? The Dell tech told me that the limitation was in the laptop processor not the docking station.

Steve Vasilion, AIA

28 S Water Street

Suite 303

Batavia, IL 60510

www.vasilion.com

You really cannot know until you have tried. The one I had trouble with didn’t support 4K resolution at all, and the one it was replaced with only supported 4K through the DisplayPort interface, not HDMI. I wonder if the manufacturers have themselves tested all the combinations, and if all limitations have been documented.

Yet one thing: does the external monitor work if you turn off the laptop monitor (close the lid)?

I tried to look for the K3100M documentation but at first glance the Nvidia website has only two generations of documents. Their cards can have surprising limitations as to what you can connect.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.