The landscape image disappears when you double click to enter the group

When tracing over a landscape image and converting the lines to a group. The landscape image disappears when you double click to enter the group. Is there a way to allow the landscape image to show through?

Hi , The image has to be in the same group to be visible. If you explode it ,it will return .

Phil

Thanks, I already knew that, I was hoping there was some setting I had over looked. Thanks again.

Disable View > Component Edit > Hide Rest of Model and Hide Similar Components.

This will not help to see textures outside the actual context…

1 Like

It seems you’re using the term “image” interchangeably with the term “texture image”
There’s a difference.
A texture image outside the editing context of a group grays out while editing the group.
While an image outside the editing context of a group remains visible while editing the group.

Below, I’ve made the face within the group somewhat transparent merely to reveal the whole “picture”.
Notice the image remains visible while editing the group.

You could export the texture image via the context menu in the Materials Browser.
Then, bring it back into SU as an image.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will try that.

Would there happen to be a plugin that would convert it right inside sketchup?

Not that I’m aware of.
Might I ask why you would need a plugin for such an easy task?
You don’t have to leave SU to accomplish the feat.

Try exporting the texture image to your Desktop.
Restore Down the SU window so you can see the image file on the Desktop.
Then simply Drag & Drop it back into the SU model space.

Tip:
First turn on Hidden Geometry so you can see/infer to the edges of the existing GE Snapshot.
Working in X-Ray Mode helps too.

When you drag in the Image, anchor it to the bottom left corner of the existing GE Snapshot.
Since GE Snapshots don’t come into SU on-axes, you’ll need to Rotate the new Image about the bottom left corner such that the opposite corners align, then scale the new image to match the opposite corner of the existing GE Snapshot.

1 Like