The Endpoint is Near... or is it?

Okay, sorry if I’m repeating this, as I’m sure that someone else has had this problem, but I can’t find the conversation.
Sometimes, when I am creating a 2D object I can’t get it to close. I know to zoom-in to check connections, but some of the objects have SO many endpoints that it takes forever to zoom into each connection. This seems to happen a lot when the object has a bunch of Arcs and Curves. I will also have lines that are so close to the Axis alignment, that I can’t draw the line without it snapping to the axis.

thank you in advance,
drew

Are you drawing the 2D object on a face. One of the easiest ways to work through this is to start with a large rectangle to draw on. This gives you a face to inference to (watch for On Face to pop up) and it makes it easier to zoom in on small areas without worrying about the cursor being on something at an infinite distance behind the model. If you set Profiles to 2 or 3 and turn them on in the style, you’ll be able to easily see when you’ve closed a loop of edges in a planar fashion as those edges will change from Profiles to regular thin edges.

You can turn off axis snapping with Alt when using the Line tool. That may help in some cases.

1 Like

Another setting that messes with accurate drawing is Length Snapping. The consensus is that it doesn’t do anything useful so it is better to have it always turned off.

1 Like

Dave
Yes, I always try to draw on a surface, but I did not know that the ALT key can be used to toggle the Axis Lock on/off.

Anssi
Where would one find Length Snapping? That sounds like it might be one of the culprits causing issues.

thank you, both
drew

1 Like

Model Info->Units. Once you’ve cleared it, save as a Template so you don’t have to do it again for every new model.

1 Like