Off straight by too small a margin for Sketchup to see it?

Every so often there is a model that decides that something is off by ~0 which you can not see and is not registered. In the models sometimes I can go through and match all the points to one point to try to find where it is off. Most of the time these edges say they are on an axis but when you push/pull them they start on the edge but after awhile they turn black and “fall” off the axis. How does this happen and is there a way to find them more easily than wack-a-mole-ing points?

After I pull it a little further it is no longer on axis. (I am aware I can work around this by drawing a rectangle across then pulling it down but there are tons of walls in the model that do not think they are on axis but say they are. Also this is one of the most frustrating problems that continues to crop up working in this program.) I have checked the cad file too to see if it thought they were off by 1/64 or some such from one end of the wall to the other and it does not see anything either.

I do not think sketchup should have the option of ~0 if it is ~0 it should be on the axis. If it shows on axis it should actually be on axis.

To what do you have Precision set? What units are you using? And do you have Length Snapping enabled?

I figured you would be first to respond Dave. :slight_smile:

Is that good?

Yes. You are very helpful and quick.

Looking moment. Probably default for Architecture and inches.

Where am I looking? It has been awhile since I found those settings.

ah ha units

OH I have read that wrong previously. That is what it displays to, not what it draws to. (maybe not the wording I want) Does that change weather or not it tells me it is on axis also?

So you’ve got Precision set to 1/16" and Length Snapping enabled. The coarse precision can result in showing things like ~0. If you were to increase Precision you would be more likely to resolve small errors. My preferences is to use precision higher than I would use in reality.

Length snapping can get in the way of precise drawing. Most users turn that off right way so they aren’t fighting it. You might try that.

My suggestion would be to open your default template, turn off Length Snapping and set Precision as high as it will go for your units of choice. Then do a Save as template and make it your default. And just because the Precision is set to 1/64th in., that doesn’t mean your dimensions are going to be displayed in 64ths unless they are at 64ths.

Yes. exactly. The key is that it is only the display precision. Personally I want to see see the highest precision I can in my model to help me identify potential issues and to help me avoid cumulative errors.

1 Like

Okay. AWESOME I have been fighting this for years. Glad I finally asked.

So length snapping tries to keep it to a solid length even if the endpoint you are trying to connect to is 1/16 further (for example)?

Yes. It’s kind of like saying you can have a stud that is 8’ 2" long or 8’2-1/16" long but not 8’2-1/64 inch long even if that’s what would really fit. Since that’s not usually the way it works in the real world, you probably don’t want it working that way in SketchUp.

1 Like

Exactly me too. If a model has this issue it is going to fight me through the whole project. This is up there with finding out that you can snap to axis in the beginning of learning to use sketchup. Or to match lines to axis. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Same for angles or is angle snapping a good thing?

Yeah. And of course while I work to 64ths in SketchUp, I don’t in my shop. I can work to 1000ths of an inch on my tablesaw although that doesn’t make a lot of sense for most woodworking project and the nearest 32nd probably is plenty close.

Generally I find leaving Angle snapping enabled is fine. Most of the time I’ll want angles at the nearest 10 or 15 degrees.

1 Like

What about the force display of 0? Probably troublesome too?

I’ve never found a need for that.

That was what I was thinking but while i am fussing with things I might as well see if you know something about it I don’t. :slight_smile:

As always thanks for your time. You are a great help and I have yet to find something you don’t know how to fix with this program.

1 Like