Texture mapping curved profile member

Hello everyone,
I’m looking for the smartest (fast & efficient) way to correctly texture a “street” assembly made with Profile Builder 3. Everything’s going fine save for the “road” and “sidewalk” textures. Consider this street assembly can go on curved paths, and so the road and sidewalks bend around, but the issue is native Sketchup texture mapping is not following the “path”, but laying down flat and straight.
Long story short, I’ve looked into correct UV mapping with the QuadFace features and ThruPaint, and that looks perfect, however I’m having difficult times in converting my “road” and “sidewalks” (Profile bulder 3 “profile members”) top faces into a mesh of QuadFace quads.
I’ve tried Curviloft, and apparently it doesn’t like the profiles, giving weird results. I’ve gone further with triangulating the faces using Fredo6 Tools, and then coverting to Quads with “QuadFaceTools”, but apparently I can’t get more than one quad at time, by selecting one by one all the pairs of triangles, and this is very time consuming.
Hence the questions:

1. am I missing something? Is there a way to mass-convert a set of triangulated faces into a set of QuadFace quads?

or

1. is there a quick and efficient way to automatically convert the top face of a “follow-me” solid, flat but potentially curvy segmented (my profile member road/sidewalk) in a mesh of QuadFaces?

Hope this is clear enough, if not, let me know and I’ll include some screenshot to try and explain better.

Thank you very much for your time,
and thanks to the extensions creators for the amazing tools mentioned in this post.

Without Curviloft

4 Likes

Oh wow! That seems exactly what I need.
“Split tools” - didn’t know about them!
Thanks a lot for the answer, and for taking time to make the very clear gif. I’m going to try it as soon as I get my hands on Sketchup.

(edit) that worked :slight_smile:
thank you!

1 Like