Texture mapping a DWG import

I’m trying to map textures for a model of a galvanized fitting so we can create realistic renders of the fittings.

When I try to use SketchUV to map the face, it uncovers softened/hidden geometry from when these models were imported.

Is there a way to merge the faces and get rid of the messy geometry?10-6 issue.skp (1.5 MB)

What renderer are you using? (with Vray or similar, you may be able to create texture in the renderer).

You have text on the lower surface which adds considerably to the geometry, does that need to stay? (could you add it as a separate image)?

I’d recommend re-modeling that shape in SketchUp as it looks simple enough. Just use the DWG import for reference. And agreed with @GSTUDIOS that the material is probably best applied to the whole model using VRAY material settings. Unless you have an image of the actual fitting to help us better understand the need to UV mapping.

If you are struggling with mapping -

Another option - an SU tool - Wrapping a texture around a cylinder

Twilight V2.

The text definitely does not need to stay, and I’m sure it’s the cause of the geometry weirdness. The company we contracted to import all of these models from DWG just hid the geometry so they wouldn’t show up, but when I want to add a galvanized texture, then it becomes an issue.

Eric,

Agreed that this particular model is simple enough, however, that is not the case for most of them. And there are probably over 1000 files with similar issues. I’m hoping to fix them by attrition if I can.

Actually, the native tool does not allow me to map the texture on this model for some reason. Not sure why, the option’s not even there.

This is the model IRL. Kee Klamp 10-6 - Single Socket Tee, 1" Structural Fitting | Simplified Building

Having a 1000 files, I would go for the simplest process - paint (bucket fill) items with a fine galv texture, then use different normal / bump and specular maps in your renderer (something lumpy/fine) and use diffuse near maximum to disguise the texture repetition issues. Will depend on renderer quality and use case.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

Well, here’s the more or less finished product. It’s for a blog post, so it doesn’t need to be perfect, just to get the point across.

It is possible on your models if you follow the wrapping on cylinder process exactly - it’s takes up to half an hour though for one item.

Partially

complete -