How would you map a complex texture to a complex organic shaped model?

Hello, I’m a newbie and I’m just wondering about how texturing can be done.

Often I’ll see complex textures incorporated into a model, however you can’t just use the brush tool and paint them on, they turn out weird.

How would one go about mapping the texture correctly to a model, e.g.

As an example: Midas | Fortnite 100 Tier S12 BP Skin | - Download Free 3D model by SketchSupreme [23ca8a5] - Sketchfab

If you download this model and unzip the download, you’ll find the untextured model (source/Midas.fbx) and a series of textures that go with it (textures/*.png)

(I had to use a trial of the Skimp plugin to import this model, btw) (maybe not the best example, but I’m hoping you understand what I’m asking)

How would one go about mapping the textures to a blank, organic shaped model correctly either in Sketchup or maybe some other (free or inexpensive) app?

Thanks for clues

If your goal is to get the SketchFab model into SketchUp looking correct, you could download the glTF format file instead of the FBX version, then use this extension to add glTF import to SketchUp:

glTF Import extension

If you want to directly work with the UV mapping in the texture image, you may get somewhere with one of the UV extensions, but I don’t have any experience with any of them:

UV extensions

That model you linked to comes in at a huge size. Here it is after I had fixed the size and rotated him into a normal position.

zombiecowboy.zip (7.6 MB)

1 Like

Why not try WrapR ?
https://wrap-r.com/index.php
Full version is $69 but there’s a free trial…

1 Like

That looks interesting, but appears to be Windows only.

1 Like

Most of these models that are imported without textures still have UV mapping on their geometry.

What I usually do is import each texture into the model, scale each texture to 0,0254m (one inch) and then use Thrupaint plugin (by @Fredo6 ) to paint each material into the right surface while keeping UV (the sub tool’s symbol looks like a large brush with a rainbow).

If it doesn’t work it’s because the imported model has no UV mapping and you’ll have to find a workaround to import it.

The best free workaround I know of is importing it into Blender and export it as Collada DAE format, then import it into Skethup.

In blender, if textures won’t import immediately, it might be due to a shading method that doesn’t show textures. If it’s a material/texture import error, it might get tricky… I won’t risk explaining here.

1 Like

So, you have the fbx.file with uv-mapping info and the texture file.
My workflow with this kind of data: i use 3dsimed. You can import the fbx.file and add the texture file and the you can export these set a skp.file - done.
Trail version avaialbe, full version available for 30GPB.

1 Like

E’voila…

3dsimed

sketchup

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1efOFUCqQyopbJ50AIi3UUS3C6Qm28Wft?usp=sharing
There are no textures provided for the pistol.

Cheers
Torsten aka the PorscheGuy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately WrapR is current Windows only… otherwise it’s a great utility…

1 Like