How to import UV's into SketchUp

Hi! I am a student SketchUp creator. I am using SketchUp Make 2017 on a macOS. I use blender to uv map because it’s free, and I can’t find any other free UV mapping software for mac. There is a plugin called Wrap-R but it is for Windows only. In blender, I don’t want to export the model with the uv’s. Just the UV’s. Blender has an option to export “UV layout.” It exports that but how do I import a UV layout into SketchUp? Thanks in advance!

UV layout map exported from Blender is a PNG file, which you can insert in SketchUp (like a texture), but it is necessary to apply this texture on the unwrapped model

• if you apply it to the skp model

• applied on the imported unwrapped model

Thank you so much! I will have to try it. I’m going to do it right now. Thanks!

How do I unwrap my model? I am trying to UV map road.

A lots of tutorials about UV unwrapping on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blender+2.8+unwrapping+tutorial

Thank you for all the advice! It really helped. It is easier than I thought! Thanks!

Hi, major bump on this thread! I just want to know a bit more about what’s going on here? I have a model in SKP that I’ve taken from Blender. I also have the UV map and texture from the game where I’ve taken the model from. By “imported unwrapped model” do you mean that the UV wrap has been put back together to make the 3D model, and then you’ve applied textures to it?
I am quite new at this so I appreciate your patience!

You need your model to be unwrapped an uv mapped.

1 Like

Okay so just because I have the UV map, doesn’t mean my actual model is unwrapped. I just wasn’t sure if my model was technically already unwrapped. I will give this a go!

So this is what I have. The model was already like this when I imported it into Blender. I’m assuming this means it’s unwrapped? My issue with SU is, I guess, my lack of knowlege when importing them. I am using a real old version of SU so it could be that it doesn’t support it?

But what exactly is the problem and what exactly do you want to solve with that model?

Why did you import it into Blender?

How did you ‘get it’ from Blender? What type of file? What importer?

I imported it into Blender because I used NinjaRip to snapshot the scenery piece from RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. From what I gathered, this took the mesh, and unwrap data, because I could apply textures using the UV mapping (first picture I posted). The second picture is just the object without textures.

I exported it as an .fbx file and tried to convert it into a .dfx, .obj, and a Collada file to import all of those files into SU.

The problem I am having is the .obj and Collada files don’t convert. I can import the .dfx into SU and open the model, and modify it. When I try to apply the texture, however, it imports the full image (shown in first picture) instead of importing and applying the texture to the relevant place according to the UV map. Does that make sense?

Are you aware of what it means to use that software?

You should learn to create the models you need yourself, even just in SketchUp.

Texture created in Affinity Photo (you can use GIMP or other software) just for example.

1 Like

The reason I’m using NinjaRip is just for a starting point. I’m basically modifying scenery that’s already in the game to make diagonal pieces etc. (vanilla scenery only snaps to a 4x4 grid). I figured if I had the original models and textures it would speed up the process a little. Video really helped though, thank you!