Temporary transparency while using Scale tool

Hi Everybody! I know, my first post and already a request. Let’s just say the latest updates got me thinking: we already have a model that displays as see-through when using move and rotate tool. So why, why doesn’t an object become see-through when I want to click on a hidden scale handle?

In the uploaded image I made a little mock-up of what it could look like.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

The model doesn’t go see-through, but you can click on hidden scale handles in 2020. Hover over the opposite handle to help it appear.

The model doesn’t go see-through, but you can click on hidden scale handles in 2020. Hover over the opposite handle to help it appear.

Yes, I know. Adding a see-trough display would make selecting hidden handles easier, without having to activate X-ray Style everytime.

If you know, then why do you need x-ray mode?

@archem I feel your pain as I need X-ray quite often as well, but not all the time. I just assigned the hotkey Alt-X to View/Face Style/X-ray in Preferences. Then I just hotkey in and out as required.

A shortcut key to toggle X-ray is a good solution for desktop versions of SketchUp.
The web version doesn’t allow you to customize shortcut keys.
@McGordon mentiones how to spot scale grips on the sides away frpm the camera. This may help to select the appropriate grip but these grips do not allow you to snap to geometry behind the selection while scaling, unless you already have X-ray selected as face style.
IMO there could be more consistency in SketchUp in having this feature request rewarded.
(Think of how the ‘Move’ tool improved regarding to midpoints and endpoints that are away from the camera, as mentionded by the OP, @archem)
+1

1 Like

Thanks, those are exactly my thoughts on the matter!