SUPro is running slowly

DaveR,

You’ve been so helpful, maybe you can help me with this:

Today SUPro is running slowly.

Is there a way to tell if it’s SU or my laptop?

And if it’s SU, can I easily download a fresh copy (SUPro 2017)?

Thanks,

jim

Why it is running slowly is difficult to say without seeing what you are seeing. It could be due to a bloated SketchUp model. I gather you’ve been adding components from the 3D Warehouse. Many of those components could be overly modeled/detailed/have huge texture files. Maybe you have a load of unused components, textures, and styles. (Window>Model Info>Statitistics>Purge Unused could help.) Maybe the style you are using is reducing performance. Try working with the Monochrome face style so your graphics card doesn’t have to work so hard. If you have shadows turned on, turn them off.

It could also be that your graphics card is just being overworked. Your profile doesn’t indicate what the graphics card is so it’s hard to know.

If you are creating your model correctly, you can probably increase performance by turning off the visibility of some of the layers.

It is possible to download the SketchUp 2017 Pro installer but it is unlikely to be the thing that fixes the problem.

Why it is running slowly is difficult to say without seeing what you are seeing.

It could be due to a bloated SketchUp model.

24.1 MB

I gather you’ve been adding components from the 3D Warehouse.

Many of those components could be overly modeled/detailed/have huge texture files.

Only today I discovered in Warehouse I can indicate a preference for file size and number of polygons, so I limited file size to 2 MB.

Maybe you have a load of unused components, textures, and styles. (Window>Model Info>Statitistics>Purge Unused could help.)

Purge did eliminate some. Now I have 68 Component Definitions and 84 materials Is that a lot?)

Maybe the style you are using is reducing performance.

Construction Documentation

Try working with the Monochrome face style so your graphics card doesn’t have to work so hard. If you have shadows turned on, turn them off.

I know shadows slows things down, so I never use shadows while building.

It could also be that your graphics card is just being overworked. Your profile doesn’t indicate what the graphics card is so it’s hard to know.

see attachment

If you are creating your model correctly, you can probably increase performance by turning off the visibility of some of the layers.

As it happens, this is a new, small model with few layers.

I’ve removed superfluous ones.

It is possible to download the SketchUp 2017 Pro installer but it is unlikely to be the thing that fixes the problem.

Thanks again!

That screenshot is very telling. Your graphics card is not a great one for this sort of use so anything you can do to make things easier for it will help.

When you are collecting components from the warehouse check them for unneeded things like logos labels made with 3D Text.

I don’t know what kind of model you are working with but appliances for kitchens are very typically obese with all sorts of details that clients would never see or even care about. Often they can be stripped down and made dramatically lighter.

84 materials with 68 component definitions might be a lot. It depends on the components and also how many groups and/or lose geometry you might have.

As for the style, you might switch to the default Shade texture (it’s one of the “fast” styles), change the face style to Monochrome and update it for the model.

FWIW, your graphics card is pretty old. The last driver update for it shown on the Intel site is dated June 5, 2015. It was even old when you got SketchUp 2017. It’s also interesting to note that Sketchup 2019 won’t run with that GPU under Windows 10.

Might be a good idea to dig under the couch cushions and slit open the mattress to gather the funds for a new computer. :wink: