Suggestion for a 2D lock screen in Sketchup

Hello SketchUp community, I am a design consultant who prepares 3D and 2D drawings for Architectural, mechanical and a little civil.
I am looking for a way to lock 2D mode in sketchup. Reason being I am trying to train others on sketchup and layout for architecture. A lot of my users get confused with the 3D platform in Sketchup.
I was wondering if there is a way to lock top view so my designers who have this issue can work in 2D until rotation is needed.
Your thoughts!

I don’t think there is currently a way to lock it as such, but if you are working in Top View and avoid incurring Orbit, you will stay in a true 2D environment. Just use Pan and Zoom to move around.

1 Like

Here’s another tip in case you don’t know it.

If you start off by creating a surface at z=0 that is larger than the plan you want to create, it makes keeping all geometry on that plane a bit easier, especially when drawing off axis. You can of course do the same for elevations by creating a vertical plane and using Front View.

…or you can try to use this:
https://sketchucation.com/plugin/702-2dtools

…Other idea, set a shortcut for top view e.g. ctrl+space (or whatever) then you can easy to get back to top view after “accidental” orbit.

1 Like

This sounds more like a training need to me.

Personally I think it would be better to teach the 3D aspect of SketchUp from the start but if you are really averse to that, you could set up a default template with a scene using the standard Top view and with the camera set to Parallel Projection. Then teach the students to avoid the Orbit tool until they need to go 3D.