Styles overriding themselves

Sorry, I wish I could help you.

Yes it took a bit to figure it out, but I am far faster with SU and LO than I ever was with ACAD. I see it with my local competition too using ACAD, Revit and DataCAD. It just seems take them longer to produce less detailed drawings.

I would have to watch a video or something. With my dynamic blocks and lisp routines in autocad I am taking steps into finishing CDs while I block out the house. I just don’t see how layout can compete but I am always open to better ways of doing things. I use sketchup as my master and slice thru it to make floor plans then use autocad basically as a supercharge layout. All elevations are sketchup and I export pngs to make them pretty. I know the elevations could be faster in layout since it’s just looking at different views. I have been thinking about doing all elevations there but man I can’t get my dwgs to import right into layout for note blocks and tags etc. everything is dwg exported from sketchup then xrefed into autocad. Then Perdy pictures are from lumion

With the use of templates in both SU and LO you do the same thing, but faster. I set up my SD drawings with CD in mind. So the drawings evolve with the design from the beginning, making the CD compilation the least time consuming phase, even with drawing sets of 100+ sheets.

I co-authored a book with Matt Donley on that process and there are several videos on YouTube that I did with the team at SU…although the process has evolved since then.

I’ve converted quite a few firms, including some of my local competition.

1 Like

I will take a look. I watched one video a while back with something like that. But then I tried just to import the title block into layout and realized it would take a year of just moving things over or just redoing everything. I have to try again. I do think the only way to do any house/ building is sketchup has to be the master. Having autocad as the master and the model second is such a mistake. Currently all I use autocad for is notes, dims etc. pretty much what layout is for.

I did the same as I was transitioning to a total SU/LO process. Using LO keeps it in the family allowing for quick updates with each model change. It’s a very different process, so it does take some time to adjust. Once you do though, the speed is remarkable.

Hello All - Sorry to revive this topic, but I’ve been having the same issue: I purposely change a style setting, i.e. activate X-Ray, view Hidden Geometry, etc., temporarily as part of my modeling workflow, and eventually, Sketchup will commit that setting to the current Style, subsequently committing the unwanted changes to my views/pages that use the style. We’d recently switched to Pro 2023 from Pro 2019, and that’s where I first noticed the issue.

In my troubleshooting, I noticed that the unwanted committal happens right when Sketchup does an auto-save (I tested by changing the auto-save timer a few times, and timed the committal). By the same token, a normal save will also cause that committal to happen, so probably its part of the same function?

Also I noticed that the unwanted committal only happens with certain Styles - only our custom styles, and not the default ones that come in the Simple or Architectural templates. After some trial and error, I found that because our custom style has a watermark overlaid, that’s what triggers the unwanted committal. I removed the watermark, and sure enough, the saves don’t trigger the committal anymore (inverse is true when I bring the watermark back).

Perhaps someone can test this out and see if they can reproduce the bug? I can upload a file with my custom style if needed. Also if it helps troubleshoot, let me know and I’ll upload my hardware/ software specs.

Please do share your file.

I’ve never been able to reproduce this.

Please update your forum profile.

Template.skp (1.6 MB)

Thanks - here’s my file in 2023 format.